• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2020-2021 Utah Resorts, Weather, Conditions and Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I shell out $1650 for my Alta bird pass and they let me reserve a whopping 7 days to park my truck at the bird. ( and another 7 days "of the week" parking whatever that means. seems like a ploy to get us on the ski bus.
now i gotta spend money on a damn Solitude parking pass just to ensure i have a place to ski every time i want to . fucking joke
I fear it may just be getting started my friend. A very good source told me Snowbird was investigating whether to go to a paid parking system last season before Covid hit (as in not implementing it last season but investigating whether to implement it this season). So Snowbird may eventually go the way of Soli once everything normalizes. The one advantage of paid parking is if you're local the annual parking pass is worth it versus visitors that have to pay the high day rate.

I loved this past summer the irony of Solitude's management favoring a gondola solution for the Cottonwoods. They didn't think a toll at the canyon entrance was a good idea as a traffic mitigation solution, but their official stance on their paid parking was that it was for canyon traffic reasons. I also see Soli raised the season parking pass rates this year by around $100 as well.

I fear paid parking is coming to a resort near you eventually. And a great way to effectively jack up season ticket prices without doing it all on the actual season pass.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I fear paid parking is coming to a resort near you eventually. And a great way to effectively jack up season ticket prices without doing it all on the actual season pass.
Next we’ll have to pay for extra vertical :rolleyes:, Sheesh

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Everyone will end up wanting to go Alta that rides on 2 planks that cant get a parking pass for the Bird that day. this will surely resulting in a shitshow situation for parking at Alta - have a feeling ill be getting up very early all winter
Alta's parking policy for the coming season is embedded in this article: https://www.peakrankings.com/content/alta-releases-2020-21-season-details

I don't know if my information is factual but I heard that parking along the road in LCC and BCC this coming season will not be allowed and will be strictly enforced. I don't have any details but such a policy makes some sense if resorts are attempting to limit crowds with newly-formed parking policies of their own. If true, it should make for some interesting outcomes, as in the past there have been many days when hundreds and hundreds of vehicles line the canyon roads in close proximity to the four local resorts.

This afternoon Kim Mayhew, Solitude's President and COO, announced that the resort has postponed its Friday, November 20 opening date.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
I fear it may just be getting started my friend. A very good source told me Snowbird was investigating whether to go to a paid parking system last season before Covid hit (as in not implementing it last season but investigating whether to implement it this season). So Snowbird may eventually go the way of Soli once everything normalizes. The one advantage of paid parking is if you're local the annual parking pass is worth it versus visitors that have to pay the high day rate.

I loved this past summer the irony of Solitude's management favoring a gondola solution for the Cottonwoods. They didn't think a toll at the canyon entrance was a good idea as a traffic mitigation solution, but their official stance on their paid parking was that it was for canyon traffic reasons. I also see Soli raised the season parking pass rates this year by around $100 as well.

- since im a returning customer i got a $75 discount on Solitude parking pass. it still cost me $150 ( think that may have been last years price )

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
This afternoon Alta announced they are delaying their opening day, moving it from Saturday, 11/21, to Monday 11/23. They've received 56" of snow thus far, virtually all of it in the past ~12 days, and have also been blowing snow. It looks like they're following Solitude's footsteps in terms of paving the way to what they hope will be a "soft opening" on a weekday rather than a potential complete mob scene on a weekend. Uphill travel on the Collins side ended a couple days ago but is still permitted on the summer road/Catherine's area. There have been several days recently where the number of vehicles in the base area car parks have exceeded the number of vehicles parked there on many typical week days during the ski season. Lots and lots of human-powered uphill travel (skinning/climbing) for turns going on.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbasin changed theirs to Wednesday, 11/25, too. It was also 11/21 and I said "Oh HELL no!" We're heading north instead.

I also saw on the news yesterday that LCC is going to actually prevent vehicles from traveling up the canyon at ALL once parking is full.

4ster

Instructor
This afternoon Alta announced they are delaying their opening day, moving it from Saturday, 11/21, to Monday 11/23. They've received 56" of snow thus far, virtually all of it in the past ~12 days, and have also been blowing snow. It looks like they're following Solitude's footsteps in terms of paving the way to what they hope will be a "soft opening" on a weekday rather than a potential complete mob scene on a weekend. Uphill travel on the Collins side ended a couple days ago but is still permitted on the summer road/Catherine's area. There have been several days recently where the number of vehicles in the base area car parks have exceeded the number of vehicles parked there on many typical week days during the ski season. Lots and lots of human-powered uphill travel (skinning/climbing) for turns going on.
sadly, this could be the new normal…
A8184785-F6BC-4559-B655-60512CF09835.png

4ster

Instructor
Snowbasin changed theirs to Wednesday, 11/25, too. It was also 11/21 and I said "Oh HELL no!" We're heading north instead.

I also saw on the news yesterday that LCC is going to actually prevent vehicles from traveling up the canyon at ALL once parking is full.
I never heard that about 11/21. If they really wanted a soft opening they would open 11/23 and only announce it the day before.

I would also speculate that Snowbasin‘s secret plan (instead of limiting tickets, passes or requiring reservation) is to just reactively close parking without any warning as soon as things look like they are getting out of hand. This strategy will just cause people to get to the mountain earlier and earlier and earlier.
5802D2AA-6215-450F-9D37-36D9E4C45D19.jpeg

What is Targhee’s opening day?

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I never heard that about 11/21. If they really wanted a soft opening they would open 11/23 and only announce it the day before.

I would also speculate that Snowbasin‘s secret plan (instead of limiting tickets, passes or requiring reservation) is to just reactively close parking without any warning as soon as things look like they are getting out of hand. This strategy will just cause people to get to the mountain earlier and earlier and earlier.
View attachment 115066

What is Targhee’s opening day?
I agree with your speculation. SB keeps posting on social media that they “don’t anticipate any problems” with too many people or having to turn people away, and that they’ve never “come close to capacity.” BS. That mountain, as you know, is incapable of spreading people out because of the way it’s laid out. Throw in two of the three main lifts being gondolas, and I think it’s going to be ridiculously busy.

Targhee opens the 20th. I foresee more trips to places like Beaver, too.

4ster

Instructor
Gonna be a busy winter on the lifts, on the skin track, here in the wasatch.
If the amount of summer outdoor activity is any indicator, I would tend to agree. I would like to think that there would be less people traveling to ski but with such a large "local" population on the Wasatch front & possibly no one in school it will likely be busier than ever.
For better or worse the only thing Utah's got going for it is the fact that the state will remain very reluctant to shut anything down. Problem is that if Vail goes down everyone else will follow suit :(

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If the amount of summer outdoor activity is any indicator, I would tend to agree. I would like to think that there would be less people traveling to ski but with such a large "local" population on the Wasatch front & possibly no one in school it will likely be busier than ever.
For better or worse the only thing Utah's got going for it is the fact that the state will remain very reluctant to shut anything down. Problem is that if Vail goes down everyone else will follow suit :(
It's a double-edged sword. Got word that several parents who have COVID in my area are still sending their kids to school here. Beware, those are the kids who will be out skiing midweek. I am honestly furious about it.

4ster

Instructor
It's a double-edged sword. Got word that several parents who have COVID in my area are still sending their kids to school here. Beware, those are the kids who will be out skiing midweek. I am honestly furious about it.
Wow, just wow! :doh:

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snowbasin changed theirs to Wednesday, 11/25, too. It was also 11/21
Snowbasin projected opening date has always been 11/25, weather permitting. The 11/21 date was incorrectly reported by one of the local news media. Targhee is projected for 11/20 weather permitting.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbasin projected opening date has always been 11/25, weather permitting. The 11/21 date was incorrectly reported by one of the local news media. Targhee is projected for 11/20 weather permitting.
Yes, I saw it on the news about a week ago and was surprised at the prospect of a Saturday opening.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gonna be a busy winter on the lifts, on the skin track, here in the wasatch.
Sadly, my family and friends will help keep it less busy.

We had 8 days planned last April, and bought full Ikon passes this year in the hope that we’d be able to hit the cottonwood Canyons on Presidents’ Day for another week plus. Maybe another weekend too.
But, with where Corona is already now(let alone in another few weeks), we won’t be getting on any planes or in airports, so Utah will be that much quieter this year, since it’s to far to drive.

Enjoy it for me!

4ster

Instructor
Snowbasin projected opening date has always been 11/25, weather permitting.
They sure have been emphasizing the “conditions permitting“ part this week but they are now selling day tickets. I have seen comments from people with condos rented and lift tickets bought for Thanksgiving weekend. Party on :doh:

Feels like a tropical storm blowing in right now. Opened the windows when I got up this morning.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They sure have been emphasizing the “conditions permitting“ part this week but they are now selling day tickets. I have seen comments from people with condos rented and lift tickets bought for Thanksgiving weekend. Party on :doh:

Feels like a tropical storm blowing in right now. Opened the windows when I got up this morning.
Oh boy, skiing the WROD for $129 a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online