• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta 2021-2022 Big Sky Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
I was considering an Ikon pass add-on and a trip to Big Sky next winter. The Ikon website does not state anything about reservations, so I have sent them a query.
Way down in the fine print is says something like each resort can/may limit the number of skiers at their discretion.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Way down in the fine print is says something like each resort can/may limit the number of skiers at their discretion.
I found it, but it is certainly not front and center on the list of resorts. Still no idea on actual availability of reservations. Pretty deceptive, IMHO.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I found it, but it is certainly not front and center on the list of resorts. Still no idea on actual availability of reservations. Pretty deceptive, IMHO.
Well in the "Pass Access" FAQ section, it does say this:

Are reservations required to ski or ride at any Ikon Pass destination?

Lift reservations to ski and ride may be required at certain Ikon Pass destinations during the ski season to help manage capacity and improve the guest experience. The decision regarding whether reservations will be required for any winter season are made at the discretion of each Ikon Pass destination and will be based on circumstances at the time. For the 21/22 winter season, lift reservations are required at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Taos Ski Valley and The Summit at Snoqualmie. For the 22/23 winter season, lift reservations will be required at Aspen Snowmass, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Big Sky Resort, The Summit at Snoqualmie, Loon Mountain, Taos Ski Valley, and Brighton Resort.

So there were reservations required at some resorts this year as well. Looks like that's somewhat expanded for next year. I have not heard of anyone having any issues getting a reservation - but don't know many folks that ski at the absolute busiest times or don't reserve early. That said, the existence of reservations always means there's some chance of not being able to get one. I suspect that that's only likely on the busiest days if you don't reserve in advance.

Last edited:
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well in the "Pass Access" FAQ section, it does say this:

Are reservations required to ski or ride at any Ikon Pass destination?

Lift reservations to ski and ride may be required at certain Ikon Pass destinations during the ski season to help manage capacity and improve the guest experience. The decision regarding whether reservations will be required for any winter season are made at the discretion of each Ikon Pass destination and will be based on circumstances at the time. For the 21/22 winter season, lift reservations are required at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Taos Ski Valley and The Summit at Snoqualmie. For the 22/23 winter season, lift reservations will be required at Aspen Snowmass, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Big Sky Resort, The Summit at Snoqualmie, Loon Mountain, Taos Ski Valley, and Brighton Resort.

And there were reservations required at some resorts this year as well. Looks like that's somewhat expanded for next year. I have not heard of anyone having any issues getting a reservation - but don't know many folks that ski at the absolute busiest times or don't reserve early. That said, the existence of reservations always means there's some chance of not being able to get one. I suspect that that's only likely on the busiest days if you don't reserve in advance.
Right - the important question to me is whether so long as you book reasonably in advance you'll be able to get a reservation, and this will at most limit some nearly walk-up uses; or whether it will be more substantial such that the blackout dates (at least the 5-day Ikon) are just a starting point.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Haven’t posted recently. I guess the gondola, mid mountain buildings and new tram eliminated some of the angs surrounding no new lifts at BS. Can‘t wait to drive by Ace Hardware and see the sun (or moon) reflect off the new tram and top station!
With the new gondola and tram “old big sky” will have all the lift capacity the terrain can support.
Need new Southern Comfort.
Need new Iron Horse to improve integration with the dark side.
I can’t think of much else.
New Moonlight side lifts will expand the terrain around toward the golf course and new real estate. Might claim 7,000 acres at buildout.
Beyond that you get into public land. I’m old. I doubt if my ski life extends to then but it would be great to ski 360 degrees around Lone Peak.
I haven’t heard anyone in the know in MT say that Big Sky can support two private ski areas. Only works in the middle of the greatest stock market and realestate boom in a century. Doubt if we have two booms back to back but who knows. It could happen but I bet 4% Fed Funds rate will stop most of those dreams. Remember, it hasn’t’t been that long ago that Moonlight busted twice and YC reorganized.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
If I were prioritizing lifts I'd go:

1) Iron Horse upgrade to HS quad (critical lift to get from BS to MB and really slow now - twice the time of PowderSeeker over similar length) and ideally extend to top of Six Shooter - the current alignment is almost perfect to do that
2) New lift from Six Shooter base to bottom (or top) of Lone Tree (probably better than SS upgrade and would alleviate SS lines while opening up a nice part of mountain)
3) Six Shooter upgrade (though not sure if HS would do much for uphill capacity - it's already HS)
4) ThunderWolf and/or Southern Comfort upgrades (SC more likely because Montage might kick in)

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I agree spending money on a new lift up to Lone tree would be money well spent.
Also SC is more frequently stressed than TW and would benefit Montage and a lot of beginners who feel they have limited options at BS.

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
A bubble on Southern Comfort would be a nice add for the Montage (and Spanish Peaks) crowd. That lift can be cold in the am!

I'd also like to see an upgraded Six Shooter, with both bubble/heated seats (it's cold on the dark side) and better integration with the Madison Base area (maybe a different starting point or a fancy carpet to the lodge). That current backrest of what feels like structural steel is tough on the back.

And something about integration of the main and Moonlight areas. Not sure its a better Iron Horse, or something else, that eases the transition between the front and the back. Maybe a better traverse and a magic carpet to gain a little elevation to get to Six Shooter? Routing more people down to the Moonlight lodge area seems counterproductive.

And one that is really out there - a better, longer Lone Tree that would allow easier lapping of that area without getting mired down at Six Shooter.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well, if they wanted to go all in, a gondola between Mountain Village and Madison Base, a la Telluride, would be great. But expensive. Cheaper to upgrade Iron Horse and maybe plow some dirt to make the traverse more accommodating to beginners (b/c Moonlight has some great terrain for beginners and low intermediates).

Southern comfort is cold any time the wind is blowing!

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was told at the start of the 2025 project the resort feels that covered, heated, quiet, direct drive lifts are the standard going forward.
I think Southern comfort is on the list for an upgrade to reduce the wait times and help move folks from SP to BS.
I don’t know the Feasibility of adding a bubble (heavy?) to 6 shooter but It sure would be nice.
A second path to Lookout Ridge is needed. The wait at Six shooter can be one of the longest at BS.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I assume that a bubble on Six Shooter would be a new lift. not a retrofit.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
I assume that a bubble on Six Shooter would be a new lift. not a retrofit.
The new Restroom at Lone Tree leads me to think most of the moonlight traffic will run by that chair for the foreseeable future.
I’m a big believer in redundancy. I’d add the second chair before replacing six shooter but Boyne chose to replace old Swifty so maybe theyd do the six shooter upgrade first. All upgrades are appreciated.
Wish we knew something about expected expansion of the ski area around the mountain toward the Moonlight golf course?

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
The new Restroom at Lone Tree leads me to think most of the moonlight traffic will run by that chair for the foreseeable future.
I’m a big believer in redundancy. I’d add the second chair before replacing six shooter but Boyne chose to replace old Swifty so maybe theyd do the six shooter upgrade first. All upgrades are appreciated.
Wish we knew something about expected expansion of the ski area around the mountain toward the Moonlight golf course?
I am mystified that BS and other resorts hype up all the new chairs and expansions, but seem to forget about adding sufficient snowmaking so there is something to ski on when one gets off these new lifts. The trend the past couple of years has been a lot less snow than "normal" and it doesn't appear to be getting better.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am mystified that BS and other resorts hype up all the new chairs and expansions, but seem to forget about adding sufficient snowmaking so there is something to ski on when one gets off these new lifts. The trend the past couple of years has been a lot less snow than "normal" and it doesn't appear to be getting better.
You raise a good point about less snow as general trend. I would change "snow making" to "support infrastructure" that would include parking, shuttles, road access and adequate water for snowmaking.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think they replaced Swifty before doing the gondola because they (a) realized the latter would take longer and (b) weren't even sure how they wanted to route it. Given how critical Swifty is, it made sense to replace it - originally on a one-summer schedule - than have the old Swifty remain in place for at least another two years if not more.

So while I agree would be better to add a new lift in Moonlight first, I don't think they'd replace Six Shooter first just because they did so with Swifty.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
They'll have to replace Six Shooter once the One and Only opens. At the prices of the OAO, people will expect no lines, bubble and heat.

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
I do think Big Sky is working on snowmaking. At least compared to last year, they were able to get a key to to bottom artery (Mr. K, also good beginner terrain) open and relatively rock free because of additional snowmaking.

I wonder how much work it would take to get snowmaking to the trouble spots around the bottom of Six Shooter?

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
They'll have to replace Six Shooter once the One and Only opens. At the prices of the OAO, people will expect no lines, bubble and heat.
The OAO people will be looking down at the lift lines from their helicopters as they are whisked to the Crazy, Tobacco Root or Absaroka Mountains for a day of untracked powder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online