• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta 2021-2022 Big Sky Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Especially after stepping off their private gondola to Madison base. https://liftblog.com/2022/02/03/gondola-coming-to-moonlight-basin/
Wow OAO will have a gondola! The Montage will seem like a youth hostel near an urban train station with just an older HSQ with shiny new bubbles and then a breezy ride on Southern Comfort to get to a base area. Where will all the hotel staff come from? The Montage has struggled all season keeping F&B staff in place.

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
Moonlight needs that gondola. The number of new builds is astronomical and both Lakeview and Lakelodge are completely sold out. They'll have to move these people somehow.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
Moonlight needs that gondola. The number of new builds is astronomical and both Lakeview and Lakelodge are completely sold out. They'll have to move these people somehow.
Forget LakeLodge and Lakeview. Overlook Phase 1 is sold out, Phase 2 custom home sites have sold out and just 1 home build left now (https://bigskyrealestate.com/development/overlook-ii/). OAO is also sold out right now (https://bigskyrealestate.com/development/oneonly-moonlight-basin/), but there will be future releases of this product it looks like. There is now virtually almost nothing for sale in all of Moonlight.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
All that traffic into the Madison base area wil really pressure Six Shooter. Also parking issues on the front side pushing more day skiers toward Madison.
Moonlight buildout moving toward the golf course?
Need a second lift up toward Lone Tree sooner rather than later.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This will all be so interesting to be around for!
I found myself deleting some emails this morning and I found a reminder for my 2018 gold pass at $1300 as I’m getting ready to pony up $2300 for the 22 / 23 season. So while my pass is gone up 25% every year I guess the saving grace is, so has our house value.
Maybe someone else smarter than myself can chime in as to where LML property ends and where Boyne/big sky property begins and how and why Boyne will build and maintain all of these lifts for property owners or will these developers build and give / lease them to Boyne ?

I see from Lift blog the one and only gondola will be bringing guest to six shooter, Will the terminal be on Boyne property, what will their fees be and who will maintain the lift ? Will it be similar to the lone moose lift, quasi-real estate lift while the general public rides it?

I was part of the build out on phase l of overlook and the pre-buy for my client was a little over one mill, blown away at what phase II is let alone what OAO single families sold out at or just a 1/2 acre in town now pushing 750k
Most interesting point about all of this discussion about congestion is that it really only happens on peak weekends and holidays. Ive been spending quite a bit over in moonlight in last few weeks and seeing little to no crowds.
It’s clear from the resorts 2025 plan where their priorities lie. One doesn’t have to look any further then the ski school private and guide rates, just astounding ! In all my years in ski school and administrations, I had never heard of a 45 minute private lesson till now, SS is big business. I have heard of family ski school tabs being upwards of 80K for a single
holiday week.
IMO the focus for lifts will not include moonlight for years to come, the two-stage gondola with new learning center along with the Tram and it’s ability to put 40 to 60 patrons at the top of lone Peak will further drive lessons and bottom line more than moonlight lift capacity.
As a skier with 100 days here year after year I agree the ML capacity needs to be increased, so much good terrain that can only be reached off of line tree. The one thing I don’t see being discussed is increasing snowmaking. As we warm and as storms are historically getting less and less if there isn’t adequate coverage none of this is going to matter at all.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
How do you get to $80K for a week of family lessons? Even if each member takes his/her own lesson at $800/day a week still puts you only at $30K. And I just can't imagine even a wealthy family taking a full day lesson every day for each person separately.

As for Boyne/LML I don't know the answer - I imagine one could look at property records, though I'm sure they're buried inside LLCs and such, so somewhat hard to tell. As for lifts, isn't that relatively easy to do through easements/agreements? For example, agreement could be that LML/developer pays for installation of lift, along with compensation for lifty staffing and maintenance. Or perhaps lifty staffing is on the resort . . . all a question of how to allocate expenses.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@skidrew - Really not that hard to do actually with holiday peak rate is $995 before resort tax, so $1031/ day.
So let’s say the matriarch grandparent has his kids and grandkids, let’s call it 10 people so 10k a day for 8 days. That’s before lunches at Everett’s and tips.

OK, bit of a stretch for a family of 4-5 but after seeing my wife and her team delivering groceries, yeah, that’s a thing here, almost as expensive as a private lesson. Last house, err compound slept 22 :roflmao:

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
The one thing I don’t see being discussed is increasing snowmaking. As we warm and as storms are historically getting less and less if there isn’t adequate coverage none of this is going to matter at all.
"Rocks are snow too!" as displayed on a sticker on a ski of a BS ski patroller.

Water, sewage and roads are the weak links in the Big Sky growth engine.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
@skidrew - Really not that hard to do actually with holiday peak rate is $995 before resort tax, so $1031/ day.
So let’s say the matriarch grandparent has his kids and grandkids, let’s call it 10 people so 10k a day for 8 days. That’s before lunches at Everett’s and tips.

OK, bit of a stretch for a family of 4-5 but after seeing my wife and her team delivering groceries, yeah, that’s a thing here, almost as expensive as a private lesson. Last house, err compound slept 22 :roflmao:
Is your wife the enterprising person offering grocery valet or whatever I saw on a sign when I was out there?

Dang that's a lot of lessons . . . I'd just tell them to fill a group if I were grandma.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Should I find it odd that season passes are now off sale entirely vs. just increased price?

I sort of understood it last year when there was no idea what might happen with COVID.

tele

Putting on skis
Skier
This will all be so interesting to be around for!
I found myself deleting some emails this morning and I found a reminder for my 2018 gold pass at $1300 as I’m getting ready to pony up $2300 for the 22 / 23 season. So while my pass is gone up 25% every year I guess the saving grace is, so has our house value.
Maybe someone else smarter than myself can chime in as to where LML property ends and where Boyne/big sky property begins and how and why Boyne will build and maintain all of these lifts for property owners or will these developers build and give / lease them to Boyne ?

I see from Lift blog the one and only gondola will be bringing guest to six shooter, Will the terminal be on Boyne property, what will their fees be and who will maintain the lift ? Will it be similar to the lone moose lift, quasi-real estate lift while the general public rides it?

I was part of the build out on phase l of overlook and the pre-buy for my client was a little over one mill, blown away at what phase II is let alone what OAO single families sold out at or just a 1/2 acre in town now pushing 750k
Most interesting point about all of this discussion about congestion is that it really only happens on peak weekends and holidays. Ive been spending quite a bit over in moonlight in last few weeks and seeing little to no crowds.
It’s clear from the resorts 2025 plan where their priorities lie. One doesn’t have to look any further then the ski school private and guide rates, just astounding ! In all my years in ski school and administrations, I had never heard of a 45 minute private lesson till now, SS is big business. I have heard of family ski school tabs being upwards of 80K for a single
holiday week.
IMO the focus for lifts will not include moonlight for years to come, the two-stage gondola with new learning center along with the Tram and it’s ability to put 40 to 60 patrons at the top of lone Peak will further drive lessons and bottom line more than moonlight lift capacity.
As a skier with 100 days here year after year I agree the ML capacity needs to be increased, so much good terrain that can only be reached off of line tree. The one thing I don’t see being discussed is increasing snowmaking. As we warm and as storms are historically getting less and less if there isn’t adequate coverage none of this is going to matter at all.
LML is funding the residential lifts. Big Sky Resort will have to upgrade their lifts to handle the LML funnel of people. I've heard a significant upgrade is planned for Six Shooter. I'd be shocked if it wasn't completed by the time OAO is fully built out.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No doubt LML is taking care of the residential / feeder lifts, their in the business of selling property. Big time upgrades to Sacajawea and Lewis and Clark since the Montage finished :roflmao:Heck, guest are lucky to get directions out of SP only to come to the big bottle neck called SoCo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor