• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest 2021-2022 Midwest Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, we went the same route to MN and back to PA. So we saw all the same stuff from different angles. :) Weather issues forced us to jettison the drive across the UP.
Hopefully you stopped at Bent Paddle Brewery. Duluth isn't bad. Gateway to better ski areas.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Boundary Waters Canoe Area. It's a massive wilderness area that you remote camp in for several days at a time by using lakes to get from one place to another. Amazing place. Rugged Wilderness camping at it's best.
Oh, I know it, just not by its acronym. One item on my bucket list!

whitefeathers

Putting on skis
Skier
The new lift at Trollhaugen was running last night. I went for the first after work skiing this season and didn't even notice until someone had mentioned it.
I rode up with a ski patroller and was asking him what the Friday night crowds were like. He said its pretty wild and stays busy all the way through to 3am.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
The new lift at Trollhaugen was running last night. I went for the first after work skiing this season and didn't even notice until someone had mentioned it.
I rode up with a ski patroller and was asking him what the Friday night crowds were like. He said its pretty wild and stays busy all the way through to 3am.

Were they just testing it or were people actually riding?

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Question, for the skiers over in the LP of Northern Michigan.....are the Summit slopes at Shanty Creek open this year?
I know last season they were closed, but I can't find any mention of anything (open or closed) on their website.

Since there is nothing, I am thinking they are closed but are they closed indefinitely there or anyone know the inside story?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Was out at Troll last night. For a warm weird weather day the snow stayed nice and firm and was easy to get an edge into. The hill skied really well.

They didn't have the new lift running, and instead were just using the old lift. I hope this isn't their plan, to run the old lift instead of the new one when things aren't that busy. Lots of people were wondering why they'd do that, but it appears to be their plan.

whitefeathers

Putting on skis
Skier
@focker do you think maybe it could also be a staffing shortage? They're constantly advertising on social media they need more lift operators.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
@focker do you think maybe it could also be a staffing shortage? They're constantly advertising on social media they need more lift operators.

Could be, but why would they not just run the new lift and shut off the old one. They both take 2 people in total. I think this has something to do with the placement of the lifts. The old lift is in a much better spot overall at the base of the hill, than the next lift is.

Mushroomslider

Booting up
Skier
I recently moved to Chicago and had my very first midwestern ski experience last weekend. Devil's Head was better than I anticipated - just a very few patches of ice (that telltale translucence which I noticed after my world had suddenly turned sideways...) - otherwise, enough snow cover to be quite forgiving. The only disappointment was discovering that there was nary a mogul to be seen on the entire resort. There was a run named "Serpent's Moguls" which had seemed promising, but came up empty. A closer look revealed it to be "Serpent's Mogul" (singular), said "mogul" in fact being a terrain park feature. :(

Which resorts reliably have some bumps? One run is plenty. It doesn't have to be long. Even 10 bumps long is fine; I'll hike it and run laps all day. Preferably not too far from Chicago (I'm also new to midwestern driving...). And hopefully low angle bumps. The lower angle the better; I'm looking for practice, not punishment. :)

I saw some videos of Wilmot and it looks like it has a bump run (Exhibition?). Possibly even seeded? (I saw one video with brushes sticking out of the tops of the bumps) That would be amazing. On the first run, I'd pee myself from excitement.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I recently moved to Chicago and had my very first midwestern ski experience last weekend. Devil's Head was better than I anticipated - just a very few patches of ice (that telltale translucence which I noticed after my world had suddenly turned sideways...) - otherwise, enough snow cover to be quite forgiving. The only disappointment was discovering that there was nary a mogul to be seen on the entire resort. There was a run named "Serpent's Moguls" which had seemed promising, but came up empty. A closer look revealed it to be "Serpent's Mogul" (singular), said "mogul" in fact being a terrain park feature. :(

Which resorts reliably have some bumps? One run is plenty. It doesn't have to be long. Even 10 bumps long is fine; I'll hike it and run laps all day. Preferably not too far from Chicago (I'm also new to midwestern driving...). And hopefully low angle bumps. The lower angle the better; I'm looking for practice, not punishment. :)

I saw some videos of Wilmot and it looks like it has a bump run (Exhibition?). Possibly even seeded? (I saw one video with brushes sticking out of the tops of the bumps) That would be amazing. On the first run, I'd pee myself from excitement.
Granite peak in Wassau usually maintains a bump run as does Cascade north of Madison. Not Mary Jane but fun enough .

Mushroomslider

Booting up
Skier
Gah! We were planning to split the 2-day trip between Devil's Head and Cascade, but Cascade was sold-out.

I'm not good enough to fully appreciate The Jane, but someday, I'll make my pilgrimage.

Thanks for all the info!

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I recently moved to Chicago and had my very first midwestern ski experience last weekend. Devil's Head was better than I anticipated - just a very few patches of ice (that telltale translucence which I noticed after my world had suddenly turned sideways...) - otherwise, enough snow cover to be quite forgiving. The only disappointment was discovering that there was nary a mogul to be seen on the entire resort. There was a run named "Serpent's Moguls" which had seemed promising, but came up empty. A closer look revealed it to be "Serpent's Mogul" (singular), said "mogul" in fact
I lived in Chicago’land as a youth back in the 80’s. My parents took me to Alpine as our every weekend ski spot but occasionally we traveled to the ‘bigger’ ski areas up North. I still remember cutting my teeth on the bump run at Devils Head. I think they occasionally parked a vw beetle as a bump on the bump run. Too many people crying about bumps and not enough people skiing them?? Taking up too much valuable real estate??

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, we went the same route to MN and back to PA. So we saw all the same stuff from different angles. :) Weather issues forced us to jettison the drive across the UP.
The the new vehicle perform to expectations and comfort?

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The the new vehicle perform to expectations and comfort?
Absolutely! It was amazingly comfortable to drive and be a passenger in. Really good on the snowy roads as well. Nice to have tons of room for stuff, too. I saw a few of them driving around Duluth; more than I do here, actually.

Also, midwesterners are polite drivers compared to those here in the East. ogsmile

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I lived in Chicago’land as a youth back in the 80’s. My parents took me to Alpine as our every weekend ski spot but occasionally we traveled to the ‘bigger’ ski areas up North. I still remember cutting my teeth on the bump run at Devils Head. I think they occasionally parked a vw beetle as a bump on the bump run. Too many people crying about bumps and not enough people skiing them?? Taking up too much valuable real estate??
I believe one factor is the snow fall and warmth factors in midwest.

For the moguls I've seen, many are hard packed ice mounds ... I've skipped more than I've attempted (but I don't do moguls often, especially in midwest)

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Absolutely! It was amazingly comfortable......

Also, midwesterners are polite drivers compared to those here in the East. ogsmile
I travel to Wi on regular basis from Ia, what I love about Wi drivers is it's typically 10+ over the speed limit. Makes for getting across state in more timely manner. Too, unlike some state's drivers, Wi drivers move to the right more often than not to allow passing as intended.

good to hear the vehicles a "win"

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe one factor is the snow fall and warmth factors in midwest.

For the moguls I've seen, many are hard packed ice mounds ... I've skipped more than I've attempted (but I don't do moguls often, especially in midwest)
it's the snow factor. We don't get enough here in WI. We wouldn't have skiing anymore if it weren't for man made stuff and that's good for base and if you keep grooming. By the time any moguls build up they're usually just an ice mound with solid ice in between. It's a rare occasion we get enough snow consistently enough to build any sort of mogul field and it's usually fleeting anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online