• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2021-2022 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Stratton was nice on Wednesday. Icy early, or rather, “firm,” but the flurries turned into a lot of snow. Today they’re reporting they got 5”.

It’s nice to ski when it’s snowing - the Christmas card effect.

Most trails were pretty much scraped down to boiler plate. The only exception were Mike's Way and the Meadow. Those has retained the snow well.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Was at Stowe today. First day back on snow.

Lodges are open with proof of vaccination. Was nice to get geared up inside again.

Trudged up the hill to the lift. Took a lap; snow was decent; my form… not so much. Went @KingGrump mode (unbuckled the boots) for a few laps to get the ankles moving again.

Was skiing ok again so I turned the power steering back on (ie, buckled up).

They had the blue cruisers off the quad open along with Centerline and the top of Hayride. I heard the latter were pretty icy so I skipped those. Gulch was open on natural snow and baby bumps. Groomers were getting pretty scraped off in the usual areas.

All in all, I think I got a dozen or so laps in? Good first day back. We’ll see what tomorrow brings weather wise.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Notice that all the poles are in their wrappers? They must have gone back into stock after that shoot.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Forgot to mention I took out my new Stockli Laser AR's. They make sweet short to medium turns; too crowded to really let them run. Standard Stockli feel -- inconsistencies in the snow surface are irrelevant to this ski.

They don't necessarily punish poor technique, but you won't necessarily feel much "magic".

Much stiffer than Stormrider 88's; it'll be interesting to take them into "real" bumps. Awesome edge grip. Lots of "pop" out of the turn.

I look forward to seeing what this ski can do.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Forgot to mention I took out my new Stöckli Laser AR's. They make sweet short to medium turns; too crowded to really let them run. Standard Stöckli feel -- inconsistencies in the snow surface are irrelevant to this ski.

They don't necessarily punish poor technique, but you won't necessarily feel much "magic".

Much stiffer than Stormrider 88's; it'll be interesting to take them into "real" bumps. Awesome edge grip. Lots of "pop" out of the turn.

I look forward to seeing what this ski can do.
I was wondering about that.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Thank you! Sadly, here you can’t see the snow falling; in my full-size picture it was all around us.

Looks like a Christmas card.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Stowe report for Saturday, December 11th.

Forecast was for high winds, pouring rain and possible sleet. None of that happened. Pretty calm day; wet, but not really raining. Lifts were ski-on every time. Not sure I’ve ever said that before on a Saturday.

Rubber gloves for the win today. Saw various people trying to dry their gloves out with the hand dryer. My hands were fine.

Worst part today was the visibility or rather the lack thereof. Below the triple (halfway down) it was ok, but above that was pea soup.

Snow surface was really nice; creamy with a few hard patches. Coverage is holding up well, although they might lose Toll Road.

Supposed to get cold tonight; tomorrow could be awful.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Stowe report for Saturday, December 11th.

Forecast was for high winds, pouring rain and possible sleet. None of that happened. Pretty calm day; wet, but not really raining. Lifts were ski-on every time. Not sure I’ve ever said that before on a Saturday.

Rubber gloves for the win today. Saw various people trying to dry their gloves out with the hand dryer. My hands were fine.

Worst part today was the visibility or rather the lack thereof. Below the triple (halfway down) it was ok, but above that was pea soup.

Snow surface was really nice; creamy with a few hard patches. Coverage is holding up well, although they might lose Toll Road.

Supposed to get cold tonight; tomorrow could be awful.

Yes. Much better than I thought it would be. I hardly got wet at all.

I skied the last two days at K-Mart and it was good down there too. They had way more terrain open than us. It was fun to ski some Superstar laps. I had lunch yesterday in the new K-1 Summit Lodge which was cool as I had never been there before. We were done earlier than expected so I stopped at PJ's in Waterbury to get new lifters on my boots and accidentally bought new GS skis too.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sunday River was a bit wet. The snow was good and there were no lines. I did at least 20 runs. All groomed except for some whales. I like the 187 skis at least so far. Its just nice having a big ski.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...and accidentally bought new GS skis too.
"My car ran out of gas in front of the shop, and my cell phone died, so I went in to use their phone... as I was trying to leave, I tripped and grabbed for anything as I fell. Turns out I threw a pair of GS skis on the counter. At the same time, my wallet flew out of my pocket, and the scanner picked up my RFID credit card and paid for them. The sales clerk behind the counter said they don't do refunds, so now I'm stuck with them. Craziest thing you've ever seen."

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
"My car ran out of gas in front of the shop, and my cell phone died, so I went in to use their phone... as I was trying to leave, I tripped and grabbed for anything as I fell. Turns out I threw a pair of GS skis on the counter. At the same time, my wallet flew out of my pocket, and the scanner picked up my RFID credit card and paid for them. The sales clerk behind the counter said they don't do refunds, so now I'm stuck with them. Craziest thing you've ever seen."
Good for you! Enjoy your new ski gear.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
MMSC race kids were out yesterday. One was apparently on his first day on new GS skis - 193, 30m radius? He proclaimed them to be “kind of scary”.

He wasn’t lacking postage to “send it” though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online