• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2021-2022 Northeast Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Kind of tough to fit a 6 year old a good 6 months in advance. My kids always went up one size each year, but I don't think I would have had a good sense of what fit before the start of the season.
True. I don't think we'll buy him boots now, but if we are "in the area" (be it Killington, or Okemo, or whatever), we may at least stop by, try a few models, and get a sense of what might be a good fit. Then either do another trip in the fall, or order a couple of sizes online, keep the ones that fit, return the ones that don't. I mean, I know it's not perfect, but our local shop doesn't really have *any* boots for his age, so trying something is better than nothing.
Plus the inventory issue.
Their website shows that they have the sizes we may be looking for. But it's a good point. I just think it makes sense to do two things on one trip, if we are going to drive 4+ hours one way anyway.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
There is actually a LOT of sun at Sugarloaf in March and April, and a heck of a lot more than it gets credit for throughout the winter. Have a wee bit of experience there.
But......like all of New England, it can really be shitty. No question.
Now to be fair, I spent a winter coaching weekends at Killington in the late 70's and I think we had four sunny weekend days in three months.

It's not like some of the spots my kids have coached: Aspen, Mammoth, Sugar Bowl, Vail. Nor is at anywhere near as cold as some other spots....like Jackson. Where one did two PG years. Gates shatter quickly at -30F.

The WC at Sugarloaf was in 1971. 51 seasons ago. It was held there because it was a historically crappy snow winter in Europe the year before and hey decided that one of the big series had to be moved to not risk another cancellation. There was a group at Sugarloaf who had been running pretty big races for twenty some odd years, and a very loyal army of volunteers. Sugarloaf had a good track record of snow, and while nobody will mistake Narrow Gauge for the Strief....for this continent it's a good track. Sugarloaf had hosted a large number of US Alpine Champs, CanAm Champs, the NCAA champs. Big events.

So they quickly agree to host it, after being asked. And they pulled it off, with a lot of work and a good plan. I was in high school at the time, in boarding school {no ski academies then} and my whole ski team went up to volunteer. Somehow we weaseled into a dinner for the competitors, coaches, organizers, and the head volunteers. I have no idea how we made the list. But I'll never forget the dinner. Surf and Turf. Lobster and grilled moose. The moose it turns out was provided by the Maine Warden's Service. It was literally road kill that had been frozen for months. That drew a lot of laughs a few days later. As I recall, it tasted great. That was one of the more legendary events. People STILL talk about it.

It was also pretty cool to see the press from all over the ski world arriving in Carrabasset Valley, which was much more rustic back then. Think it's the end of the railroad now? Huh!

PS and an edit......
I had forgotten about the trailer fire and the Swiss Team's loss of pretty much everything. I wonder how that might be handled today? My impression has always been that despite the remoteness and low key nature of the event, the "White Circus" loved it. I know that when Sugarloaf held the Nationals is 1995, 1996, 2008, when MOST if not all of the USST was there, the competitors really enjoyed it. Had a blast, and good racing. One of the reasons, IMO, is a strong culture to support the sport. many fans, and volunteers. Fun stuff.

Last edited:

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Last edited:

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is an interesting timeline of the Carrabassett Valley. @Muleski can correct me if my memory is off. In the late 60's and early '70's all the lodging, restaurants and bars were off mountain and in the "Valley". The Red Stallion, Judson's, Tague's and a few other places were located there. . Kern's Inn in Eustis, home of the New Years Eve ski jump. The Capricorn, now home to CVA and Lumberjack were located closer to the access Road.
I was also going to a boarding school, Kents Hill, at the time of the World Cup races in '71. I didn't go, but had classmates who were there. KH did have a few Sugarloaf connections. Sons of the owners of the Capricorn and Lumberjack were there when I was. Also, Tim Skaling and Gail Blackburn attended KH for a period of time. I believe Tim Skaling was a forerunner for the DH. Gail Blackburn may have raced also.

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Waited all season ticket in hand for perfect Stowe day that was Tuesday Afternoon. Buddy declared the spring corn to be at level 10 on a run down Goat. Loved the flow of the snow on Starr. National, Liftline, Nosedive and Hayride all were paid their respects. Looking out the window at Mt Mannsfield after kicking off my boots for a rest with a bowl of soup and a cold Sip of Sunshine made the day. Legs lasted for 11 runs racking up 22,000 vertical of Front Four bumps. Stowe is an awesome almost epic place on a great spring day.

IMG_1772.jpg IMG_1774.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Wasn’t there a fire in a wax trailer at the Sugarloaf wcup that destroyed a lot of one team’s skis?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just finished 4 days of skiing Sunday River. Runs are holding well with some smooth cream cheese under cloudy morning skies today. Sun didn't show up till just past noon. Skied with a friend and his adaptive son. I thought my legs were tired. Try doing this every run.

IMG_20220412_143344680.jpg IMG_20220412_143348333.jpg

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, I'll be at Saddleback on Friday and possibly Sugarloaf on Sunday if anyone wants to have a mini gathering.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, I'll be at Saddleback on Friday and possibly Sugarloaf on Sunday if anyone wants to have a mini gathering.
Keeping an eye on the weather (which looks iffy at the moment).

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Here is an interesting timeline of the Carrabassett Valley. @Muleski can correct me if my memory is off. In the late 60's and early '70's all the lodging, restaurants and bars were off mountain and in the "Valley". The Red Stallion, Judson's, Tague's and a few other places were located there. . Kern's Inn in Eustis, home of the New Years Eve ski jump. The Capricorn, now home to CVA and Lumberjack were located closer to the access Road.
I was also going to a boarding school, Kents Hill, at the time of the World Cup races in '71. I didn't go, but had classmates who were there. KH did have a few Sugarloaf connections. Sons of the owners of the Capricorn and Lumberjack were there when I was. Also, Tim Skaling and Gail Blackburn attended KH for a period of time. I believe Tim Skaling was a forerunner for the DH. Gail Blackburn may have raced also.

Great Post. The names that you mention from your KH days have been or still are friends. I was on the phone with one last week!

I think your recollections are spot on!

And the history piece that you attached is really a treasure. Have never seen it. Some learning for me in that one!

Many characters in the Valley over the years. It’s lost some of it’s soul, but not much. Easy to rekindle it with the right crowd.

Thanks very much for your post!!!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Jay is looking sweet for this afternoon. Taking the 2.5 drive from Killington this morning.
Now I know why I didn't see you at the gondi!

Things are going fast here. Warmed up on the North Ridge, went over to Snowdon/Bunny Buster for a few laps, then hit Cascade. I thought about Bear Mountain, but the Walk Required signs at the top of Bear Claw put me off, so I headed down to the Skyeship gondi. Had to inch my way through narrow strips of brown snow on several trails like Cruise Control and Panic Button/Needle's Eye. Even Cascade and Downdraft had a pretty narrow exit although the tops of the trails had some good soft spring snow. Cruised down Skyelark/Bittersweet to Superstar lift. Superstar was pretty bumped up by the time I hit it on my next to last run, but the snow was great.
IMG_20220415_114752995_HDR.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Getting thin in spots. Very few people out despite a bunch of cars. Rain held off.

B6E0BD6E-4835-4015-A9D9-5A070BF900F4.jpeg
Usually Chief has near wall to wall coverage closing weekend. But the trail opened super late this year, near Feb. So there’s less snow than usual.

18C980AB-2CF7-4339-BC83-C2619D578DFE.jpeg
Some choke points on Chief got pretty narrow.

C1393533-F47B-4DE2-B607-94277891F4A5.jpeg

7C2460EC-5FA2-47C2-ACE9-2B3C0470A6C8.jpeg
Half pipe still in good shape. It wasn’t real tall this year.

Last edited:

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday was my last day at Saddleback this season. Today was closing day. Good coverage and a few of the glades and Muleskinner were open with some thin spots. Peachy's Peril had nice soft bumps. I decided to buy a season pass. The senior pass was $549 and my Medicare provider will give me a rebate of $400 for "fitness related activities". I'll have 4 half price vouchers available for a Ski Talk gathering. Here's a few pictures.
PXL_20220415_164710048.jpg PXL_20220415_170904704.jpg PXL_20220415_171158908.jpg PXL_20220415_175658976~3.jpg PXL_20220415_193134452.jpg PXL_20220415_193138646.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday was my last day at Saddleback this season. Today was closing day. Good coverage and a few of the glades and Muleskinner were open with some thin spots. Peachy's Peril had nice soft bumps. I decided to buy a season pass. The senior pass was $549 and my Medicare provider will give me a rebate of $400 for "fitness related activities". I'll have 4 half price vouchers available for a Ski Talk gathering. Here's a few pictures.
View attachment 166634 View attachment 166636 View attachment 166637 View attachment 166638 View attachment 166640 View attachment 166641
Nice. Looks like you had more sun up there!

I stayed away partly because of the big shindig. Have a bunch of Ikon days left for the Loaf. Tomorrow is not looking great. Plotting to work all day tomorrow and then ask for Tuesday off, or some other day this week.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice. Looks like you had more sun up there!

I stayed away partly because of the big shindig. Have a bunch of Ikon days left for the Loaf. Tomorrow is not looking great. Plotting to work all day tomorrow and then ask for Tuesday off, or some other day this week.
That was yesterday. From looking at videos of the pond skimming today, it was a mix of rain and snow. I'll be up for the Loaf later in the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online