• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2021-2022 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler - now firm everywhere- best skiing off piste is in bumps where the ice ruts are scraped off. Low sun angles in January don't soften the alpine.
like a bad date, beautiful but lacked substance.
mostly empty bowls, groomers had a bit of traffic - walk on chairs

Attachments

• 20220126_105543.jpg
    20220126_105543.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 15

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stevens -
It is still vail fail with the number of lifts open. Skyline, Hogs, Tye, and Daisy we're open. Seventh was open but unskilable. Everything off the groomed was frozen solid. The groomers varied from pretty decent, to pile skiing, to big patches of really firm. It was cold, like 17° when we got there. It did warm up some as the day went on but not much. The nice thing was it was glorious sunshine all day. They were some minor lines but nothing bad. The Granite Peaks lodge was open. You need to show your VAX card to get in. The bar had quite a few people in it but the rest of the lodge was fairly empty. We skied on our groomer zoomer skis and had fun, but this groomers only has gotten old. I did get the stoke- o- meter off the peg on a few runs by going fast to the point of fear.

IMG_0425.JPG

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did Vail also shutdown the weather? Nice to see some flakes in the forecast. Though I must say, this has been the best spring skiing in January I have ever experienced.
1598064F-588B-43FB-AF09-F8BA910316AE.png
10D5C23D-D0B5-4025-9AEA-DE3EF29A074F.jpeg

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Stevens -
It is still vail fail with the number of lifts open. Skyline, Hogs, Tye, and Daisy we're open. Seventh was open but unskilable. Everything off the groomed was frozen solid. The groomers varied from pretty decent, to pile skiing, to big patches of really firm. It was cold, like 17° when we got there. It did warm up some as the day went on but not much. The nice thing was it was glorious sunshine all day. They were some minor lines but nothing bad. The Granite Peaks lodge was open. You need to show your VAX card to get in. The bar had quite a few people in it but the rest of the lodge was fairly empty. We skied on our groomer zoomer skis and had fun, but this groomers only has gotten old. I did get the stoke- o- meter off the peg on a few runs by going fast to the point of fear.

View attachment 157169
Given this weather I don't understand why they don't shut down 7th and open Jupiter. The back side gets the sun and might be skiable in the afternoon.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Given this weather I don't understand why they don't shut down 7th and open Jupiter. The back side gets the sun and might be skiable in the afternoon.
Ski Patrol been running 7th Heaven this year. Not sure if they can just shift them to Jupiter.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Getting use to firm conditions. Nice to see where you're going.
20220127_124403.jpg
Groomers were skiing well. Low traffic.
20220127_103018.jpg

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just finished night skiing at Mt. Hood Skibowl . Oh boy, that snow is hard and icy. Very challenging to ski properly and not that enjoyable when trying to survive on the ice. Looking forward to softer snow in the daytime (Fri/Sat/Sun), and hopefully new snow on Monday.

At least the views of Mt Hood were nice.

0127221624c_HDR.jpg

0127221708.jpg

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Stevens opened the back side for the first time today. The lift status report shows only Kher's, Double Diamond and Southern Cross are closed.

Reactions: RJS

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stevens opened the back side for the first time today. The lift status report shows only Kher's, Double Diamond and Southern Cross are closed.
Did anybody go up today to see how it was?

Powder and Corn

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Did anybody go up today to see how it was?
Quite cold all day and somewhat breezy. Yes, Jupiter opened. Both Gemini and Aquarius were very firm. Some sugar piles surrounded by very scraped out stuff. The only time I felt warm was gazing out at the top of Tye ridge. The off piste next to Aquarius actually felt somewhat soft around 130 pm. Some real flat light on Skyline midday. Moderate Friday type crowd.

I had heard that new GM Tom was greeting folks at the top of Jupiter early on. Good to hear that they also plan to stay open until the end of April.

7-9 inches Sunday to Monday. Yes, please!

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So with the recent freeze/thaw cycle it seems to have been creating some challenges for folks at Alpental. Here is hoping this published warning on the Snoqualmie website thins out the lift lines tomorrow :crossfingers:

Alpental Ops Update: Chair 2 will have a delayed opening until 11am this morning due to icy and unsafe travel conditions.
Extra Challenging Conditions at Alpental: Conditions on upper mountain at Alpental have been quite challenging this week due to the freeze-thaw cycle associated with these spring-like temperature swings. Like always, our goal is to open as much terrain as possible given the conditions. However, we expect to have delayed openings or extended holds on Chair 2 until the weather changes, it's just too hard, icy, and challenging in the morning. Not only are these conditions hazardous, with hard impacts and long slides possible if you fall, but it also exposes our patrol team to the hazard when running routes or performing rescues. Recently we have been closing Triple60 early at night due to this same hazard.
If the sun softens up the surface snow, skiing on the chair side of the mountain can be enjoyable for expert skiers/riders. However, these conditions are still variable with extremely hard snow/ice in shaded areas, and only amplify the technical and challenging terrain on the upper half of Alpental. Please take the "Experts Only" warnings very seriously before considering going up Chair 2. That warning applies now more than ever, and now is not the time for a progressing skier or rider to take on the new challenge of riding Chair 2.
We know the view at the top is enticing, but if you're not ready for extremely difficult conditions/terrain - skip taking that step in your progression until the snow returns. For the hardcore folks out there that can hold an edge and want to make some turns from the top... ride with a buddy, take it easy, and enjoy the challenge.
If you're an intermediate level skier/rider, lower mountain at Alpental is challenging as well and a better experience will likely be had at Summit Central or Summit West. The Cascade Traverse is especially challenging right now, with icy areas and plenty of bumps. Watch and pay attention to signage on the mountain, it's there to provide awareness. Take it slow, look ahead and find the easiest path of travel.
For night skiing - Summit West often has the best conditions during freeze-thaw cycles because it is groomed during the day.

As an FYI thanks to the inversion we have had the last few weekends and all the sunshine, the hill has been softening up pretty quickly making ideal conditions by 10:30 through to 2 pm. As usual I will be there all day tomorrow ogsmile

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Days 20,21 of the ski season.

Friday I taught ski lessons at "Timberline Summit" -- the beginner area of Timberline. A few quick-learning students made the day enjoyable.

Saturday was a fun day with Scott, Archer and Hunter. We did another cat-ride to the top of Palmer. This is supposedly the last day of our weeks-long sunny warm spring skiing spell. Tomorrow is supposed to be rain/snow turning to all snow tomorrow night. Monday should be good 8" of new snow and a return of winter.

A short video of Scott, Archer and Hunter. Hunter is becoming quite the "little shredder" -- which is his skiing nickname: https://youtu.be/sOvb7itWYVw

Snow was firm and then softening all day long. Best snow on "Stormin' Mormon" lift. No lines, but parking lots full. I don't know where the people go, but they aren't clogging up the lifts and runs ????

0128221510.jpg

0129220927a_HDR.jpg

0129220931.jpg

0129221011f_HDR.jpg

0129221238.jpg

Reactions: RJS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor