• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2021-2022 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mt Rose added some new features to their website, including new web cams and interactive trail maps.
IMHO the site upgrades were long overdue and actually make it a little easier to navigate.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread, replying to Mammoth opening announcement:
Dang, we just committed to a Nevada Day event that weekend.

And in the Mammoth thread, replying to opening announcement:
Gassing up the SS SkiTalk.

Hmm... I think there's a couple of folks that need to talk to each other... :ogbiggrin:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This thread, replying to Mammoth opening announcement:

And in the Mammoth thread, replying to opening announcement:

Hmm... I think there's a couple of folks that need to talk to each other... :ogbiggrin:
But he's all the way down stairs and I'm in my office. ;)

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Long range forecasts three weeks ago began advertising a potential strong series of storms at month end that has been rising with potential with each passing few days. This week, news media finally caught on and during the last days as we approach the largest storm of the series on Sunday/Monday, weather professionals are now referring to it as a "bomb cyclone". Note I don't believe such winter systems have ever occurred during October during my lifetime and may have something to do with global warming putting more water vapor into the Northern Pacific at this stage of the year or just randomness. So whoopie!

Last year the end of January cold bomb cyclone saved for we enthusiasts what for skiing was otherwise a pathetically early and late dry winter. In any case, snow levels as I noted a few days ago will be pineapple high, at times near 10,000 feet so though 4 to 6 foot potential accumulations are possible, much less may actually remain above 8,000 depending on parameters there are no ways to accurately forecast.

Here in the SFBA, one can expect excessive TV coverage in emotional high pitch voices over debris flows about recent wildfire areas and usual urban creek overflow areas making it sound like everyone wishes it will stop ending with stupid qualifiers "Won't really help the drought as we need 99 more storms like this." Traffic will be a hydroplaning nightmare Monday as the impatient aggressive clueless tailgaters refuse to slow down driving 80+ mph on their urban commutes. US50 will likely close due to sooty black debris flows across the highway. Truckee streets will be crammed with blocked 18 wheelers and its restaurants full of coffee drinkers also wishing it will stop.

By the following weekend after one of the longest dry periods in Northern California, we may actually begin to see tiny green grasses sprouting roadsides and in our otherwise dry brown drab hills. Read today's BA report on OpenSnow that is showing KW and Rose with potential 4 to 6 foot totals of Sierra Cement with just a few inches at 6,000 foot lower base levels. This will all be good above 8,000 where most of us actually ski for bomb proof bases that should serve skiing at our upper areas well into the Christmas weeks.

Last edited:

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
C'mon Palisades...follow the Mammoth lead. (shameless wishful thinking. of course I'll drive to mammoth next weekend, but only if I can't just stay local.)

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
C'mon Palisades...follow the Mammoth lead. (shameless wishful thinking. of course I'll drive to mammoth next weekend, but only if I can't just stay local.)
The Alpine portion will have more snow than the Olympic Valley portion, early on. At least that's the way it's been the last few opening days.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
And from the pics I have seen of construction ongoings at the Alpine portion we will be lucky if they even hit their current scheduled opening date.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
BA at OpenSnow has an excellent input today worth reading. The update shows not as much precip from the early storms that is actually a good thing except for Mammoth because snow levels look high elevation that could wash away the shallow depths we just received and add warmth to ground temps. What we need to dump starts with colder fronts on Sunday.

Read today's BA report on OpenSnow that is showing KW and Rose with potential 4 to 6 foot totals of Sierra Cement with just a few inches at 6,000 foot lower base levels.
Do you happen to have links?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Snowin' at Rose

247228882_4737372029608484_1605328066233376811_n.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I have been watching the radar all day. Looks like the Bomb Cyclone is a direct hit. Gadzooks!
7896F5E3-A918-4871-872F-7D1244188CEC.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor