• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2021-2022 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great stuff at PowMow today although I hit the MOAS (Mother Of All Stumps) off trail. Took me what seemed like forever to recover my balance, ha, ha. That's what I get for bringing out my favorite skis! Quite brisk out there today! A75F0097-9BA3-4BCB-AE07-DACC40B0FFFA.jpeg CE18E047-B7CF-4B7E-873B-3A3AFE39F90C.jpeg

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skiing Snowbird tomorrow for the first time this season. What width skis should I take? Nordica Enforcer 104? Elan 96 BE? Mindbender 90?

Thanks.
Hopefully someone else will respond who's actually been there in the last day or so, but based on the snow report, either the 104's or 96's. There's a break now but you might find some goods, but I'd probably take the 96s since it's in the middle. (I'm assuming you can only take one pair, if you're driving yourself, bring both).

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any recent reports from Snowbird? I’m heading there next week, and don’t have an option to ski Alta as there’s a snowboarder in our group.

Seems like the Bird is trending quickly towards the magic 100” base number that usually means it’s skiing well and most terrain is in play, but it seems as though they’ve been slow in getting new terrain open (including Mineral Basin) over the last few weeks as the snow pack has increased.

I’ve heard a few rumors that the speed of getting terrain open is being driven by a staffing shortage, but I guess it could also be a safety issue with how the snow pack has come together this season, or something completely different.

justaute

Graceful Bowling Ball
Skier
Hopefully someone else will respond who's actually been there in the last day or so, but based on the snow report, either the 104's or 96's. There's a break now but you might find some goods, but I'd probably take the 96s since it's in the middle. (I'm assuming you can only take one pair, if you're driving yourself, bring both).
Thanks. Yup...took my 96 and it worked just fine. Groomers were fast (not icy) and still plenty of powder to be had. A beautiful day at the Bird. Even repped ST.

Attachments

• PXL_20220102_174411851.PANO~3.jpg
    PXL_20220102_174411851.PANO~3.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220102_174432813.NIGHT~2.jpg
    PXL_20220102_174432813.NIGHT~2.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 19

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I'm going to throw out a 1st world problem type question. Is there a good place to eat lunch at Deer Valley that:

1. Don't need reservations
2. Sit at the bar (party of one)
3. Reasonable cost

I failed miserably last time I was there (12\21\21) with the Grab and Go kitchen at the St Regis. I didn't eat until 2:15 PM, paid $42 for a beer and caesar salad, and sat on a structural support column with one buttcheek. There has to be a hotel bar that fits the bill, maybe the Montage (Daly's Pub) or the Empire grill? I can handle walking a bit from the lifts if need be. Stein Erikson lodge is my go to lunch buffet, but I don't want to go there by myself.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
So it's been a few years since I've been there, but where is "Backside"? Which peak am I looking at? Or which position was that video taken from?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Go up the Collins Lift. Go straight when you get off the lift; at the first pitch just past the patrol house make a sharp instead of going straight down the pitch (as you would if you were heading Sugarloaf Lift). Traverse, traverse, traverse to the left and you are on Backside.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Go up the Collins Lift. Go straight when you get off the lift; at the first pitch just past the patrol house make a sharp instead of going straight down the pitch (as you would if you were heading Sugarloaf Lift). Traverse, traverse, traverse to the left and you are on Backside.
Traverse traverse traverse at Alta? You don't say!

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm going to throw out a 1st world problem type question. Is there a good place to eat lunch at Deer Valley that:

1. Don't need reservations
2. Sit at the bar (party of one)
3. Reasonable cost

I failed miserably last time I was there (12\21\21) with the Grab and Go kitchen at the St Regis. I didn't eat until 2:15 PM, paid $42 for a beer and caesar salad, and sat on a structural support column with one buttcheek. There has to be a hotel bar that fits the bill, maybe the Montage (Daly's Pub) or the Empire grill? I can handle walking a bit from the lifts if need be. Stein Erikson lodge is my go to lunch buffet, but I don't want to go there by myself.
Yes - Montage will fit your criteria 1-2 for Dalys Pub. For #3 I guess it’s all relative, but it’s not quite St. Regis Expensive.

The Deer Valley lodges this year aren’t quite what they could ge due to covid. Table service only, limited menu, can be very crowded if the mountain is busy, the website for ordering is a little janky, and the most convoluted way imaginable to try to get your IKON/Season Pass discount.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Albion Basin.
I believe this video was taken close to the Albion Chair unload
You are correct! Near the end of the video the upper lift station of the Sunnyside lift appears and soon thereafter part of the bullwheel of the upper lift station of the Albion lift is seen on looker's upper right side.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Yes - Montage will fit your criteria 1-2 for Dalys Pub. For #3 I guess it’s all relative, but it’s not quite St. Regis Expensive.

The Deer Valley lodges this year aren’t quite what they could ge due to covid. Table service only, limited menu, can be very crowded if the mountain is busy, the website for ordering is a little janky, and the most convoluted way imaginable to try to get your IKON/Season Pass discount.
I was planning on heading into the Montage, but as I skied down to the Empire base I short circuited into the Empire grill (slightly less walking). The grill was just getting going at 11:15, and while the main floor was filling up quickly, the loft was basically empty. I had the loft pretty much to myself, and the food wasn't too bad (pulled pork sammy and fries). The cashier asked me if I had an IKON, so I got the discount quite smoothly. I'll keep the Daly Pub in my short list in the future. The Rime Raw bar at the top of the Jordanelle gondie was a great stopoff in the afternoon, very quiet and warm.

Deer Valley was banging, especially for being a couple of days after freshies. The Daly Bowl and Lady Morgan area was filled in nicely, and the tree run Centennial was superb. Mogul visibility was sucky in the afternoon as it clouded up, but it just gets dark too soon right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online