• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Liberty Evolv 84

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update:

I skied the Evolv84 today in what I would call its classic, at "home" conditions. Skiing on hardpack, to soft groomers to mid-boot soft, fresh powder all on one run. :). The testing grounds were perfect for hitting "all mountain" conditions. The 84's could be the proverbial "unicorn". I am extremely impressed with the bandwidth of performance. It's stiff enough to hold on hardsnow and I think I would like to put a 1:3 on the Evolv for improved edge hold over the current 1:2. However, its flex pattern is near perfect for transitioning from groomers to bumps. Its a very compliant ski in the bumps, with just enough tip and tail rocker making it swivel when skiing flat and the tips won't auger into the sides of soft bumps. Its 84 waist makes it quick and easy in the troughs and on the groomed. A skier looking for quick tip engagement might look elsewhere, Like a Sali Bold but for 90% of skiers, its plenty quick when on edge and that slightly tapered tip works for you in the tracked out snow and bumps. Its an easy ski that I would put any intermediate on who is looking to improve and experts will find it to be a fun and very capable ski. The Evolv84 continues to impress. Here was my testing ground today.

Attachments

• D55FA70F-85B4-4ED4-AD04-7C556E31B107_1_201_a.jpeg
    D55FA70F-85B4-4ED4-AD04-7C556E31B107_1_201_a.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 40
  • F468AD1C-DC9C-41BF-9E8F-02C1D97F21D2_1_201_a.jpeg
    F468AD1C-DC9C-41BF-9E8F-02C1D97F21D2_1_201_a.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 50

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Long term update:

Some rocker tip/tail pics were requested. These pics make it look like substantial rocker, trust me there isn't but that's the main reason why we dont normally post pics of rocker... Click to expand.

Attachments

• F9F08BD3-4F0A-499B-8E9C-70A4ED3F829C_1_201_a.jpeg
    F9F08BD3-4F0A-499B-8E9C-70A4ED3F829C_1_201_a.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 9ED88AA6-FCEA-42D8-A1FA-66F8545E28F9_1_201_a.jpeg
    9ED88AA6-FCEA-42D8-A1FA-66F8545E28F9_1_201_a.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 41

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Long term update:

Skied the Evolv84's this AM on 6" of fresh medium density snow. The 84 held its own in 6 and did fine skiing it centered through some boot high wind loaded pockets. I really enjoy skiing a more narrow ski on borderline powder days. Once the lines are tracked out, the narrow ski works better on the piled snow and soft bumps. It had enough power to drive these on edge through the chop and were plenty floaty for 6" in the untracked.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Long term update:

quick note, on firmer snow and skiing aggressive and fast, I have found I can overpower the tips a bit when carving but this ski isn’t really designed for this kind of skiing. Still quite happy with its all-mountain performance.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
When I first skied the new line of VMT skis a few years back at SIA, I was very impressed with the V76. It wasn't the kind of ski I was expecting from a 'freeride' ski company. I have had the pleasure to get on the Evolve 84 (179 cm) and ski it in a wide range of conditions. Before I took it out, I gave them a new tune. The edges appeared to be 1 and 3 so I replicated that and gave them a fresh grind.

The conditions on Thursday were nice, given the year so far, with 5" new in the previous 24 hours, mostly skied in, but powder was still present. The groomers were delightfully smooth and free of debris; the Breck groomers can take pride in the work they have done with what little they have had to work with.

My first runs were on groomers while I waited for T-Bar to open. The Evolv 84 responded nicely to groomers with solid, stable, high speed turns. I like to mix up turn shapes and these responded well to just about everything I tried. They weren't as quick on SL sized turns as I'd like. The'd hold and turn, but I needed to have patience for them to engage; they weren't snappy. Everything else was rock solid hold and very smooth.

T-Bar opened and I skied some lines I'd been on earlier in the week so I was able to charge with confidence. The conditions were firm and solid (not icy) with some used fluff on top. I jumped right into Lulu's, a nice steep line between some rocks and their response was confidence inspiring. I was making small GS sized turns to control speed and despite the rough surface, they cruised along with nary a hiccup. Lower down there was a skim coat of wind deposited snow on a fairly smooth, firm surface and I was still happily motoring along.

The last run was on even funkier snow. The lower Ptarmigan trees is rolling terrain and had some old tracks and some untouched. Again, these skis were up to the task.
  • Who is it for? Strong skiers needing a strong ski. It will charge with the best of them.
  • Who is it not for? Short carved turn lovers.
  • Insider tip: These skis love to tip (see what I did there?) and rip.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: I took these out today after a fresh tune and they took care of the Mt. Rose fresh corduroy with ease. As @Doug Briggs said, "solid, stable and capable on high speed turns". While this is not a spiritual replacement for the VMT 82, it is a much more versatile ski especially when you get it into anything but pure groomers (where the 82 excels). Liberty is keeping up with the big boys in the highly contested 82-84mm mixed on piste category.

Sponsor