• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Mountain Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
What 70ish AQI looks like these days. Record heat, too, but I’ve been riding strong in all of it, staying more enduro pedal’y with some tree cover and less DH focused.

C18C4572-BB6C-4FB7-8D9C-58D14155B1C2.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One way trails do make sense in many cases.

Yes, it makes a lot of sense nowadays at least for MTB. I was against it for a long time but the number of riders has grown so much it would be the right and safe thing to do on a lot of trails. I do think that the same trail can have a different character depending on which Direction you ride. So hoping as more trails go this way that they are designated with odd and even days.
This is almost its own discussion.
But hey, we have a lot of those side discussions in this thread, like tires, brakes, handlebar length...

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally rode the Wasatch Crest trail today. For those who are not familiar, the trail follows the top of the Wasatch along the ridges that are the western edges of PCMR. It’s the highest altitude ride I’ve done, which made the aptly-named “Puke Hill” which is basically the start of the ride from Guardsman’s pass, worthy of its name. This is not your average 100 or 200 yard long fire road. My riding fitness is pretty sad this year due to so many days off the bike due to smoke, so Puke Hill really stuck it to me. (I did not puke.) I walked the last 100 or so yards. I stopped and rested in other spots.

Anyway, what a ride! This is a shuttle ride. We got picked up by the free Park City shuttle which dropped us at the top of Guardsman’s pass. Then we headed north. Once you get to the top of Puke Hill, the views down into Brighton and Solitude and beyond were incredible.
F4C7E207-960E-4CE8-9474-FFF4A83BB1ED.jpeg

Farther up, more views to the west, plus “the spine” which I’ve seen videos of people riding down this, and have no idea how (or why) they do it. A crash could have devastating consequences.
267114EF-0B4D-46A6-89B4-5D3E506A0DA5.jpeg
600E8B80-8651-432C-B6ED-A27F8400EA60.jpeg
8901141D-68B8-44C5-AF3A-AF079DE0F62F.jpeg

It was close to 19 miles total with 1300 vertical feet of climbing. We rode to our friend’s house in the Pinebrook area near Park City.

The beauty of this ride is the incredible variations in terrain. Aspen groves, alpine, subalpine, dense evergreens, scrub oak and other brush. Well, and the 360 degree views. (Climbing Puke Hill at nearly 10000 feet was not so beautiful.) It was worth it, though!

2DCD0CA5-74AA-48FA-AC91-646823B0FCD6.jpeg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I finally rode the Wasatch Crest trail today. For those who are not familiar, the trail follows the top of the Wasatch along the ridges that are the western edges of PCMR. It’s the highest altitude ride I’ve done, which made the aptly-named “Puke Hill” which is basically the start of the ride from Guardsman’s pass, worthy of its name. This is not your average 100 or 200 yard long fire road. My riding fitness is pretty sad this year due to so many days off the bike due to smoke, so Puke Hill really stuck it to me. (I did not puke.) I walked the last 100 or so yards. I stopped and rested in other spots.

Anyway, what a ride! This is a shuttle ride. We got picked up by the free Park City shuttle which dropped us at the top of Guardsman’s pass. Then we headed north. Once you get to the top of Puke Hill, the views down into Brighton and Solitude and beyond were incredible.
View attachment 142229

Farther up, more views to the west, plus “the spine” which I’ve seen videos of people riding down this, and have no idea how (or why) they do it. A crash could have devastating consequences.
View attachment 142230 View attachment 142231 View attachment 142232
It was close to 19 miles total with 1300 vertical feet of climbing. We rode to our friend’s house in the Pinebrook area near Park City.

The beauty of this ride is the incredible variations in terrain. Aspen groves, alpine, subalpine, dense evergreens, scrub oak and other brush. Well, and the 360 degree views. (Climbing Puke Hill at nearly 10000 feet was not so beautiful.) It was worth it, though!

View attachment 142233
Wow! & finally the perfect day for it.

I stuck closer to home this weekend.
56C35E7E-85AD-476D-A13C-5FA57CBE3248.jpeg

C89BBCDC-E7BA-4962-AA49-706BA08D4219.jpeg

DAD24057-BEF1-4CE9-8215-CC5C22C600DF.jpeg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
How's the Sidewinder Trail? A fun stop after riding NF (which we are contemplating doing this coming weekend.)
Kinda what I did. Sidewinder is not complete yet but 2 or 3 miles of easy flow & well built.
D4C3CFD7-0091-4DB4-AB99-F5F1C7CA71F2.jpeg
D2E7F127-0C0F-4932-940B-F0D3203793EB.jpeg

I am working on a loop from my house for when things get wet later. My side of the valley will dry quickly.
Sidewinder is the squiggly part at top of the map with the 3 markers...
86BFEA7D-8A6B-474F-9E13-73E8486B654F.jpeg

I may link it in with Wolf Barn too.
& then you’ll have to stop by my place for beverages :beercheer:

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Picking the brains of the minds here: (@nay @Tom K. would love your thoughts) My bike is a titch too big. I feel I need to shift my weight forward vs. just staying centered when cornering--I feel really stretched out on the outside arm. Trek makes a S, M, ML, L, XL. I am on a medium and truly think a S/M would be perfect but of course it's not even an option (yet a M/L is.) I rode a small around a parking lot last year, which is hardly a valid test ride, however it felt pretty cramped (like, the bars would hit my knees on sharp turns.) I also do not like the curved top tube on the smalls. Resale opportunities are less. I fall squarely into the lower-middle of the chart for M and the very upper portion of S on their size chart. Their size chart, however, did not change when the geo of the Fuel EX changed two seasons ago. It is now longer.

@utskier rotated my bars to change the sweep and it did seem to tighten the cockpit enough that I can feel it. I don't love moving the seat forward to tighten the cockpit because that affects pedaling and knees. However, my saddle is on the forward side of things already. The stem on this bike is quite short. I have not explored changing my bars at all and am curious about sweep and what I might want to look for. I think I can adapt for any additional rise by removing some of the risers that are under the bars. I'm looking at going with something more dramatic than the stock Bontrager bars that come with the bike. Here is what the bike comes with: Bontrager Line Pro, OCLV Carbon, 35mm, 27.5mm rise, 780mm width https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...VXeNWVWrhJnLGxJ9zgns9RQSBtnWYzahoCPwsQAvD_BwE

I have cut them down to 730mm wide.
Anyway, feedback or advice from the hivemind here?
As someone in a very similar boat...smalls feel too small, and mediums too big. I seem to be always in between sizes. I have tried many things to make bikes feel bigger or smaller, and nothing has seemed to work as well as changing out the stem. Riser bars and playing with your stem spacers are also small modifications you can make that make a difference. I'd recommend getting something cheap, trying it out for a bit, then make the investment on better parts once you know you like it.

Here's a great article on pros and cons of different handlebar setups, and how to adjust based on what you're feeling.

The other thing to think about (long term) is next time you get a new bike, consider a different brand. I'm super comfortable on a medium Santa Cruz, but more comfortable on a small Scott...sizes between manufacturers can be pretty different. If you're falling in between sizes in Trek, maybe it's time to try something that fits you better off the shelf.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As someone in a very similar boat...smalls feel too small, and mediums too big. I seem to be always in between sizes. I have tried many things to make bikes feel bigger or smaller, and nothing has seemed to work as well as changing out the stem. Riser bars and playing with your stem spacers are also small modifications you can make that make a difference. I'd recommend getting something cheap, trying it out for a bit, then make the investment on better parts once you know you like it.

Here's a great article on pros and cons of different handlebar setups, and how to adjust based on what you're feeling.

The other thing to think about (long term) is next time you get a new bike, consider a different brand. I'm super comfortable on a medium Santa Cruz, but more comfortable on a small Scott...sizes between manufacturers can be pretty different. If you're falling in between sizes in Trek, maybe it's time to try something that fits you better off the shelf.
Thanks for that link and sharing your similar feelings on sizing! I'll be diving into that article this evening.

As for brands--husband works for a Trek dealer. I will ride a Trek even if I have to make adjustments. I rode a Yeti a few years ago and meh, I rode a Scott two years ago and I felt it cornered better than my Fuel EX, but climbed far worse. Both bikes were comparable in specs and components to my bike at the time. I'm sure I could get on a Juliana, for instance, and love it, but dollar for dollar it's not worth it. Honestly, the Fuel EX is only giving me fits cornering, so I really think tinkering with the stem and other things with the bars, etc. is probably the right path to go down. Changing the sweep like we did last week made cornering worse on my big ride yesterday, and my front end really wanted to pop up while climbing (and I know how to get my own front end really low on climbs.) I just feel like the traction on the front tire is not there, both descending and ascending. Must tinker with it while we're still riding a lot or I'll have to start over in the spring!

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Can you raise the back? Less sag in the back? The difficulty with dropping the front is you have to lean more..if you can do that, try flipping the stem to a negative rise.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Spit balling here with limited experience, but a bar with more sweep might help. I put one of these on my bike, not so much for a shorter cockpit but a better angle for my wrists. No more wrist pain. They are a 10° sweep as opposed to a more traditional 7-8°. They are quite a bit lighter than the stock but shortened Cannondale bar that was on the bike even though they start out at 800mm. I left them there but they can be cut down.

PNWComponentsGen3RangeHandlebar-DesertDune_1800x1800.png

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I just feel like the traction on the front tire is not there, both descending and ascending. Must tinker with it while we're still riding a lot or I'll have to start over in the spring!
Another thought...I'm not familiar enough the the Fuel EX, but Trek makes a link that you can ride in "high" or "low". Have you every tried flipping the link? I don't have experience with the Trek linkage specifically, but I know on both Scotts and SCs it can make a big difference on how the bike feels.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another thought...I'm not familiar enough the the Fuel EX, but Trek makes a link that you can ride in "high" or "low". Have you every tried flipping the link? I don't have experience with the Trek linkage specifically, but I know on both Scotts and SCs it can make a big difference on how the bike feels.
Yes, I’ve got it in high now. I prefer that for climbing (which is a big part of riding here. Climb climb climb!) It does make a pretty big difference in how the bike feels for sure.

Found a stem in SLC. Will ride it tomorrow :)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you raise the back? Less sag in the back? The difficulty with dropping the front is you have to lean more..if you can do that, try flipping the stem to a negative rise.
Spit balling here with limited experience, but a bar with more sweep might help. I put one of these on my bike, not so much for a shorter cockpit but a better angle for my wrists. No more wrist pain. They are a 10° sweep as opposed to a more traditional 7-8°. They are quite a bit lighter than the stock but shortened Cannondale bar that was on the bike even though they start out at 800mm. I left them there but they can be cut down.

View attachment 142281
Ugh I’m having trouble quoting on my iOS system.
The stem is 0 degrees so I’m assuming flipping it would equal 0 degrees?

Andy, Bryce might benefit from more sweep. Thanks for bringing that up.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah if you flip a zero you're getting..zero! :) Try a -7 flipped..that's what I'm running..gets you over the front more..frankly I'd prefer more...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally rode the Wasatch Crest trail today. For those who are not familiar, the trail follows the top of the Wasatch along the ridges that are the western edges of PCMR. It’s the highest altitude ride I’ve done, which made the aptly-named “Puke Hill” which is basically the start of the ride from Guardsman’s pass, worthy of its name.

I at least think I rode this ages ago, when we used to visit Park City friends every fall. Their neighbor took me on a huge shuttle ride where we started by riding up and over the top of then-called Wolf Mountain (?), up a crazy double track that could easily have been called puke hill. We proceeded from there through a couple of the smaller resorts, eventually ending up on the fringes of the SLC metro area, where a cab brought us back. Not sure I could do that ride today.......
Found a stem in SLC. Will ride it tomorrow :)

And if that doesn't give you what you were hoping for, go longer, because this stuff is often counterintuitive.

Suspension being a prime example of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online