• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Mountain Biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had a slight break in the smoke today so @Tricia decided she wanted to get out for an evening ride then I followed that up with a night ride on Peavine and you can even see Reno.
94E13F4D-54EF-4A34-A711-053ED2AB4406.jpg
2108649F-0DD8-4EB5-AB29-5FB04D016CDC.jpg
tempImagelDj5aY.png

0207D487-6F2E-4D0E-A1AD-AD26A4DF320F.jpg
tempImageFVMR17.png
tempImage2clA8Z.png
tempImagejoW2Cr.png

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's interesting how you can see the layers of atmosphere, smoke and what we're breathing.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got out for another perfect day ride at my local, rugged, old-school area.

Saw this whopper of a colorful growth. Anybody know what it is?

IMG_0224.JPG

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Andy Mink and I went for a 23 mile (25 for him) ride while we had a window without smoke. Andy on Colpo Canyon, it is like a GS course compared to the Slalom like Bobsled which is next over.
tempImageBkaH5i.png
tempImageoIp7CF.png
tempImageY9mEnt.png

Andy and I took the mortals line of upper UNR Downhill (the tecnical stuff is behind the rock). The "@nay line" is to the lookers right over the big flat rock.
tempImagePc6fOR.png
tempImagemadwqG.png
tempImageIB7z5L.png

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And a few of @Philpug. The ones with the front tire are video captures. Not too bad from a telephone stuck on the handlebar of a bike that's bouncing along! To keep video watchable it's set on 0.5 magnification so there's some distortion.
VideoCapture_20210830-134317.jpg
VideoCapture_20210830-134224.jpg
VideoCapture_20210830-134242.jpg
VideoCapture_20210830-134431.jpg
VideoCapture_20210830-134801.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Figured I wouldn’t ride today because it was kind of smoky this morning. By afternoon the air improved so I headed up to Pow Mow again...
A60334BE-D674-4CBA-A835-4CB0279A451B.jpeg

6D6520A3-8A1B-4226-8BCB-391AAC8C9C78.jpeg

09AEB275-9F9B-452B-A514-05D3735C1457.jpeg

794001BE-1A4D-4F74-BD9B-B3AD2FBFB548.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A brisk 3 hour tour today felt like two different days: late summer and early fall, as the ride wore on:

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

No snow up there, yet!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Andy and I took the mortals line of upper UNR Downhill (the tecnical stuff is behind the rock). The "@nay line" is to the lookers right over the big flat rock.

Hardest lesson in downhill sports? The “A” line is usually the easiest. All you have to do is let off the brakes. Kinda like life.

The “B” lines usually snake through a slow tight section full of loose over hard where you are turning and too often end up catching something or over braking or…

(the turning here - not a critique, my shins are full of my own evidence)

D685BF86-F586-49CA-8FD1-497B481B1508.jpeg

I mostly decided to stop hurting myself and added travel to the bike:P. Love to see the tech, mtb makes skiing so much less intimidating.

AA7C20DD-6C6E-49FA-866B-58C0C2635EA5.jpeg

BA30A9C9-78CA-484A-A270-D6D99E57F04B.jpeg

Name that peak:

BBA22160-4469-4A14-8D39-4EBF1056E1FA.jpeg

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
From time to time it's time to have easy week too, not to mention that last few days I feel pretty tired, so I decided to go for really easy and flat loop and check for some new trails behind our house. My legs are completely shot, but there's one thing I still have from those racing years, and that's even though I can't do anything fast with such legs, I can still run or pedal, even on steep climbs, forever as long as I keep constant rhythm. I was expecting these trails to be flat, but after 3 or 4km I was looking down to my home village from surprisingly high angle :)

20210902_171059.jpg

When I should turn down, I said to myself I don't really feel like sitting on bike for long, so I decided to give a try to trail I went trail running last time, and I though there's no way I would make those steep climbs with bike anyway, so I was expecting I will turn back after first 500m or so, when it gets steeper (for me pushing or carying bike is never an option... if I cycle I cycle, if I run/hike, I do that without bike :) ). Well, I actually made it all the way to top without stepping down even if steepest parts were way over 35%, but terrain was good after last rain, so no rear wheel spinning on lose gravel, leaves or dust, and legs still had enough power to push through those few 100m long steep sections :)

20210902_175348.jpg

Looking back to where I came. Such red and white marks are markings for mountain paths in Slovenia, so it takes special person to get lost on these trails :D Ok it's a bit of joke, as mountain rescue still have whole bunch of rescue missions when people get lost, so you can still manage to do that, especially if you are not prepared. But on the other side, it doesn't mean you can follow these trails with bike. Sometimes you can, something you can't. Well legally you are never allowed to, unless it's accompanied by similar blue and white mark, which marks legal mtb trails. But... noone cares about those stupid laws, not even police, so we all ride them :)

polar_elevation_profile.jpg

Ride was super short, but it was still some 700m of ascend, so obviously that means easy and flat ride for me nowadays :roflmao:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
From time to time it's time to have easy week too, not to mention that last few days I feel pretty tired, so I decided to go for really easy and flat loop and check for some new trails behind our house. My legs are completely shot, but there's one thing I still have from those racing years, and that's even though I can't do anything fast with such legs, I can still run or pedal, even on steep climbs, forever as long as I keep constant rhythm. I was expecting these trails to be flat, but after 3 or 4km I was looking down to my home village from surprisingly high angle :)

View attachment 141339
When I should turn down, I said to myself I don't really feel like sitting on bike for long, so I decided to give a try to trail I went trail running last time, and I though there's no way I would make those steep climbs with bike anyway, so I was expecting I will turn back after first 500m or so, when it gets steeper (for me pushing or carying bike is never an option... if I cycle I cycle, if I run/hike, I do that without bike :) ). Well, I actually made it all the way to top without stepping down even if steepest parts were way over 35%, but terrain was good after last rain, so no rear wheel spinning on lose gravel, leaves or dust, and legs still had enough power to push through those few 100m long steep sections :)

View attachment 141340
Looking back to where I came. Such red and white marks are markings for mountain paths in Slovenia, so it takes special person to get lost on these trails :D Ok it's a bit of joke, as mountain rescue still have whole bunch of rescue missions when people get lost, so you can still manage to do that, especially if you are not prepared. But on the other side, it doesn't mean you can follow these trails with bike. Sometimes you can, something you can't. Well legally you are never allowed to, unless it's accompanied by similar blue and white mark, which marks legal mtb trails. But... noone cares about those stupid laws, not even police, so we all ride them :)

View attachment 141341
Ride was super short, but it was still some 700m of ascend, so obviously that means easy and flat ride for me nowadays :roflmao:
My daughter's tennis coach is from Slovenia. She lives two streets down from me, and I've also MTB with her. She was just back home visiting family and took a ton of beautiful pictures. I've added it to my list of places I'd like to visit but probably never will.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@AmyPJ it's beautiful place, and nowadays it's just so easy to do this. Ok not exactly now with this covid shit, but once things get back to normal, which I hope they will soon, it's really easy. Plane tickets were almost for free (no idea how it will be after this shit) and with Booking.com and similar platforms you find places to stay in second (well if you, or anyone else from here, would be around Kranj or Ljubljana, let me know, as we have some nice apartment and I'm sure we can arrange something :D). So "probably never will" doesn't go :D
Btw, from where in Slovenia is she?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
@Primoz it always looks like perpetual springtime instead of summer there. Hope to see some of your Autumn colors soon.

saw our first changing leaves here today.
E832FF68-0A8A-400C-B704-0039311739A4.jpeg

Today I rode up into the Strawberry area of Snowbasin. The hardest part of the climb was having to cross this 10 foot deep ditch they had dug for laying some new snowmaking.
D93B714E-A53F-41E3-AF88-3C0E55126516.jpeg

Luckily when I had to cross again up higher they had filled a path in.
9EC99787-FC38-4A29-A969-CE64FBF2FD09.jpeg

up to the top of the Becker chair.
B588F415-9B96-4683-8417-367887A3660A.jpeg

& down to Green Pond & East Fork.
2ABB7E57-2985-4A29-972C-3A355C0251A5.jpeg

4CAE7DCB-7FBF-4E0C-AEE5-12FBB6EBC02A.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ it's beautiful place, and nowadays it's just so easy to do this. Ok not exactly now with this covid shit, but once things get back to normal, which I hope they will soon, it's really easy. Plane tickets were almost for free (no idea how it will be after this shit) and with Booking.com and similar platforms you find places to stay in second (well if you, or anyone else from here, would be around Kranj or Ljubljana, let me know, as we have some nice apartment and I'm sure we can arrange something :D). So "probably never will" doesn't go :D
Btw, from where in Slovenia is she?
I'll have to ask her where she is from. She came here to play college tennis. And if one of these days we make it over there, I will look you up for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online