• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 Wildfire Season

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
226607714_10159867836160799_1206115473943029887_n.jpg

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I wonder what idiotic human caused reason started those. Stay safe those who are nearby.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yikes! What an awful year for wildfires :nono:. I had to cancel weekend plans due to smoke in Oregon/Washington, but my small plight literally does not matter compared to what some folks are losing with these fires.

Hopefully firefighters can contain these fires before they get worse :huh:. It looks like there is a chance for rain on Tuesday/Wednesday, hopefully Park City gets enough to make a difference if the fires are still burning then.

Stay safe everyone.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Irv, I wasn't even in aisle 7...I'm telling ya. We were long gone and at home.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
In addition to Summit Park and Pinebrook, Lambs Canyon and Millcreek Canyon and under evacuation orders. Those orders impact approximately 6,000 to 8,000 residences. The fire spread to 2,500 - 3,000 acres in a three-hour period with 0% containment. Approximately 2,500 homes have lost power in the Park City area.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Governor update as of 6:30

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Fun Fact: Due to 50 years of great forest management which has allowed the natural accumulation of dead trees on the forest floor as well as the successful erradication of commercial logging from our forests, people on Echo Summit have just had their fire insurance policies non-renewed.

Last edited:

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Fun Fact: Due to 50 years of great forest management which has allowed the natural accumulation of dead trees on the forest floor as well as the successful erradication of commercial logging from our forests, people on Echo Summit have just had their fire insurance policies non-renewed.

It's not that simple of course. Forests got along just fine without humanity logging or humanity raking up dead forest matter. In fact, dead trees, leaves, and other decaying matter are vital to the ecosystem. However, that doesn't prevent fires from destroying homes which are not part of that ecosystem.

Even though they’re dead, they are not gone — trees find a way to help each other out postmortem. Introducing the nurse log. Defined as fallen trees that provide “ecological facilitation” as they decay, nurse logs offer seedlings shade, nutrients, water and protection from disease and pathogens, thus nurturing and making way for the new generation.

How does it work, you ask? Well, the process begins with a fallen tree’s gradual breakdown of lignin following its death. Lignin is a group of polymers that help form the trees’ structural tissues, especially in wood and bark. Biodegradation of lignin is facilitated by microorganisms such as fungi and bacteria — white rot fungi, more specifically, is responsible for breaking down wood on the forest floor.

As the lignin deteriorates, holes and niches in the bark begin to grow in size and, over time, become filled with soil, moss, mushrooms and small plants. This dark soil is called humus, the nitrogen-rich organic matter that forms when plant and animal matter decay. When moss covers the exterior of the log itself, the decaying process is expedited, and new plant species are more easily supported.

Plants aren’t the only ones that benefit, however. Many small animal species such as squirrels are also known to roost on or in nurse logs, enriching the humus and providing additional fertilization for germinating seeds and sprouts with their food debris and feces.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Wondering what the forest management practices are in Canada, the Artic, Siberia, Greece, Turkey, Indonesia, Brazil, and even Argentina (yes, in the southern winter)? All have been subject to fires this northern summer.

You may also recall the Australian fires of 2019/20.

Apart from forest management there is another common factor in all these countries having these huge fires (except Argentina which is in winter). And that's high temperature records. There's a pattern there.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
geepers fair enough. Where's your data?

While it is true that fires burn hotter when the weather is hotter.

It cannot be denied that if there is less fuel to burn, the fire will not be as hot.

It is everywhere where forest fuel cleanup/reduction has not been performed in the Eldorado National Forest:
DSC02711- lq.jpg

I could care less about how and why the fires start. I care about doing something about it. Forest Floor Fuel Reduction is that something.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know some people who know a lot about forest managment who've expressed concern about some of the forest floor fuel. While I don't think that is 100% of the issue, I do believe that it could be managed better.
The reality is, these forest managed themselves prior to us moving in some 200 years ago.

Lets make sure that this thread doesn't turn into a political hot mess.

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know some people who know a lot about forest managment who've expressed concern about some of the forest floor fuel. While I don't think that is 100% of the issue, I do believe that it could be managed better.
The reality is, these forest managed themselves prior to us moving in some 200 years ago.

Lets make sure that this thread doesn't turn into a political hot mess.
There are wildfires even where there aren’t forests. All you need is some ultra-dry grass. Snowfall in winter creates green growth in spring; hotter-and-drier-than normal weather dries out those grasses prematurely and excessively (soil moisture content and plant moisture content has been measured and is at an all time low), so now you have perfect fuel for a wildfire.

Parleys Canyon isn’t forested, is it? I’m not a local. But I think I recall that along that stretch of 80, it’s more scrub and grass (I forget that type of shrub that grows there, but it’s cool-looking)…correct me if I’m wrong!

When my husband came back from eastern Utah (Green River/Moab area) about 5 days ago, he was blowing black crap out of his nose for a good day or two. He couldn’t see the Book Cliffs, or the La Sals, or any of the mesas due to the smoke. When he got back here, to our heat and humidity, he said he was so happy to breathe fresh air! That’s saying a lot.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are wildfires even where there aren’t forests. All you need is some ultra-dry grass. Snowfall in winter creates green growth in spring; hotter-and-drier-than normal weather dries out those grasses prematurely and excessively (soil moisture content and plant moisture content has been measured and is at an all time low), so now you have perfect fuel for a wildfire.

Parleys Canyon isn’t forested, is it? I’m not a local. But I think I recall that along that stretch of 80, it’s more scrub and grass (I forget that type of shrub that grows there, but it’s cool-looking)…correct me if I’m wrong!

When my husband came back from eastern Utah (Green River/Moab area) about 5 days ago, he was blowing black crap out of his nose for a good day or two. He couldn’t see the Book Cliffs, or the La Sals, or any of the mesas due to the smoke. When he got back here, to our heat and humidity, he said he was so happy to breathe fresh air! That’s saying a lot.
That pretty much validates my comment that the forest floor fuels are only one part of the wildfire issues.

As for Parley's Canyon, there are some forest sections, but also some variet types of vegetation, scrub, grass, etc.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
https://www.netflix.com/title/81050375

Just watched this on Friday night. I really was not aware how quickly the Camp Fire spread into the town of Paradise. Horrifying.
That's similar to how Dixie went through Greenvill 10 days ago.
When I was working at Bluezone that summer of the Camp Fire, we had customers come in to buy stuff because they got out with nothing and fled to places like Truckee. Some stayed.

Sponsor