• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England 2022-2023 Killington Ski Resort/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm heading up either Monday or Tuesday for 2-3 days. If 3 I'll probably hit Sugarbush one day. I would love to meet up and take some runs with whoever might be around.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are heading up to Sugarbush Thursday evening. Plan to ski there and Mt. Ellen Friday and Saturday and Killington Sunday.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are heading up to Sugarbush Thursday evening. Plan to ski there and Mt. Ellen Friday and Saturday and Killington Sunday.
Phelmut and I will probably be at Sugarbush Friday, and Kton on Saturday. (RENOUN demo day at Killington). Sunday is Kton or Stratton will make game time decision.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
My current plan is to head up Tomorrow afternoon, skiing Wednesday, Thursday and possibly Friday. I usually do SB on the middle day of my 3 day trips but I'd definitely switch it up to meet up with some Skitalk rabble. :roflmao:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry to miss you guys and the Renoun demo that I would definitely hit, but we drive home tomorrow to miss the storm and take care of regular life in PA for a week. We'll be back on Wednesday next week, but you guys enjoy the fresh snow!

Days 23 and 24 were yesterday's storm and today's packed powder skiing with some friends. We did head over to Pico yesterday afternoon for lunch then to find a fairly empty resort and some untracked powder in spots. The Birch Glades were fun if a little tracked out. Today was mostly low key until they had to drive home, then we hit Outer Limits for the first time this year. The bumps were on the way to insane but we handled them as best we could and the snow was very soft compared to the groomed packed powder everywhere else. I did see @Scruffy at a few points skiing with his large group and we had a brief chat. Until next time!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier

Phelmut and I will probably be at Sugarbush Friday, and Kton on Saturday. (RENOUN demo day at Killington). Sunday is Kton or Stratton will make game time decision.
My plan to beat the weekend hordes has unraveled but I will be heading up on Friday and be there through Sunday.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I drove up Friday night nursing what I thought was a slightly tweaked hip that I could ski through if I took it easy. When I got out of the car after the drive I could barely walk. I felt a bit better in the morning so I took some Naproxen, drove to the mountain booted up and hopped on the K1 gondola. When I got to the top I took the easy way over to Bear and skied down Bear Claw. I had to take a break because of the pain. After a few minutes I went back out and took the Skye Peak quad to the top and skied back down to K1. I had planned on trying to get at least one more run in but I was done. The biggest issue while skiing wasn't the pain as much as every action with that leg was a half step behind and any bobble caused a twinge. Navigating the lift lines, stairs etc was also a killer and the up escalator in the lodge wasn't working. The drive home aggravated it even more but it seems to be better this morning. In retrospect trying to ski with a hip injury, even a minor one, was a bad idea but I've been champing at the bit to get on snow and I'm stubborn.
On a positive note the CNJSC lodge is great and I met some nice people. I'm looking forward to heading up again as soon as my hip heals.

ETA: I like the new K1 lodge. Yes, it lacks that old school VT charm/funkiness but I'm fine with that. The old lodge was way past it's prime and K-ton is a "premier" ski area. The new one seemed way more spacious even with Saturday crowds but I wasn't attempting to find a table at lunch time.

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Days 25 and 26 were chilly, but groomer heaven for the last two days. We both had our narrower skis tuned to 1/3 and stayed away from the bumps. I skied the Hero Elite LT and my wife the Temptation 78. She loves those old skis and I can't get her to upgrade to a true carver to compliment her Faction Dictator 1.0X.

So we spied out the groomed blacks and better blues and covered a lot of terrain that was fairly empty. Skyeburst, lower Wildfire, Panic Button/Needle's Eye, East Fall and Highline were in fine form, but Superstar and Cascade were a little scratchy. I got lucky on the latter as an out of control meat missile missed me by a few feet. Didn't even hear him coming and I mean had the trail to ourselves otherwise! Ended the day with our 4th Killington Downhill for the season, but with a detour on Pipe Dream instead of Bear Trax to allow for a bit more speed. We won't be skiing tomorrow or the weekend with the cold. I heard on the gondola that the last two Saturdays had seen close to or in excess of 20,000 skiers.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I drove up Friday night nursing what I thought was a slightly tweaked hip that I could ski through if I took it easy. When I got out of the car after the drive I could barely walk. I felt a bit better in the morning so I took some Naproxen, drove to the mountain booted up and hopped on the K1 gondola. When I got to the top I took the easy way over to Bear and skied down Bear Claw. I had to take a break because of the pain. After a few minutes I went back out and took the Skye Peak quad to the top and skied back down to K1. I had planned on trying to get at least one more run in but I was done. The biggest issue while skiing wasn't the pain as much as every action with that leg was a half step behind and any bobble caused a twinge. Navigating the lift lines, stairs etc was also a killer and the up escalator in the lodge wasn't working. The drive home aggravated it even more but it seems to be better this morning. In retrospect trying to ski with a hip injury, even a minor one, was a bad idea but I've been champing at the bit to get on snow and I'm stubborn.
On a positive note the CNJSC lodge is great and I met some nice people. I'm looking forward to heading up again as soon as my hip heals.

ETA: I like the new K1 lodge. Yes, it lacks that old school VT charm/funkiness but I'm fine with that. The old lodge was way past it's prime and K-ton is a "premier" ski area. The new one seemed way more spacious even with Saturday crowds but I wasn't attempting to find a table at lunch time.
Glad you liked the lodge at our ski club. The midweek crowd is a different group than the weekend crew. I heard that Bear and Skyeship will be closed on Friday and Saturday including the lodges, not sure if that's accurate though. I also saw that PIco is closed on Saturday. Too darned cold out there for marginal conditions.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like Killington is only spinning 5 lifts tomorrow and Saturday and Pico is closed both days. They are honoring Pico tickets at Killington those days. I’m driving up early Sunday and skiing Pico and then Killington Monday through Wednesday. Looking forward to it.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow, we talked to plenty of folks on the gondola while escaping the cold from all over (Michigan, Philadelphia, Florida, etc). This is their long-planned ski trip for this extended weekend. So I think I'll leave the remaining lifts to them! BRRHH!

We have friends from home in Kennett Square, PA arriving Sunday night for the week and plan to hit Pico on Thursday. Pico was a lot of fun last week after the big snows, especially the glades.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven’t skied Pico before. Looking forward to trying it.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
My hip seems to be pretty much back to normal so I'm planning on heading back up next weekend (2/10-2/12). My brother and his family will be there so I have the option of beating myself up trying to keep up with him, taking it easy and skiing with my SIL who just started a couple of seasons ago or skiing with any of the Skitalk crowd that may be around.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Stowe is the same size as Pico? I assumed Stowe was much bigger.
Pulled the numbers from the VSAA (Vermont Ski Area Association0 website). You would think that Stowe is bigger than it is. Or that Pico which many consider a smaller mountain is really rather large.Love to call Pico our Stowe sized appendage.

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's been a while since I've been to Pico, but isn't a fair portion of it "natural snow only"? In particular, where the Outpost chair is and some of the runs from the top to skiers left? I seem to remember a lot of that closed due to lack of snow cover

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's been a while since I've been to Pico, but isn't a fair portion of it "natural snow only"? In particular, where the Outpost chair is and some of the runs from the top to skiers left? I seem to remember a lot of that closed due to lack of snow cover
Yes, fun glades and outpost area but unfortunately they don't make snow in those areas.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We really enjoyed Pico yesterday especially lapping fortyniner and pike. Will definitely ski it again. Had a great day at Killington today. I still need to tackle Superstar for the first time. Looked a little scratchy today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online