• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've never heard of it!
So I went and looked it up on a map. As often happens when I do that, I realize that I am in a "Snowbird rut" where I ski the same handful of runs over and over. I need to explore more!
If you make it to Snowbasin this winter, I can show you some other places.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, I meant that there are big chunks of Snowbird I never ski when I am at Snowbird, but I see your point in the larger context. Thanks.
Snowbird is a mountain of many secrets. I love going there and putting my head down and chasing different locals around. There's so many little nooks and crannies hiding fun little stashes and super fun lines. The terrain is so damn playful there.

bob.knox

Booting up
Skier
Does BCC road shut down more/less than LCC? Before Covid I used to frequent Snowbird/Alta for a long weekend with a good group of guys. We are trying to plan another trip this year for mid-March, but our usual condos are already booked or require 5 night minimum (working stiffs - wives = 4 day weekend). I am toying with staying in Salt Lake, but then we run the risk of closed roads. Once, when staying near Alta the road shut down at the end of the day. I've never seen such a loooong line of grumpy people stuck in their cars going absolutely nowhere.

Waiting for snow in NH,
Bob K.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Does BCC road shut down more/less than LCC? Before Covid I used to frequent Snowbird/Alta for a long weekend with a good group of guys. We are trying to plan another trip this year for mid-March, but our usual condos are already booked or require 5 night minimum (working stiffs - wives = 4 day weekend). I am toying with staying in Salt Lake, but then we run the risk of closed roads. Once, when staying near Alta the road shut down at the end of the day. I've never seen such a loooong line of grumpy people stuck in their cars going absolutely nowhere.

Waiting for snow in NH,
Bob K.
@Daniel can answer better than me, but bcc used to have far less snow related closures than lcc. Lately bcc has heavy traffic closures (not for snow)when lcc may be flowing decently. If you have ikon and can go either, you'll almost always have a decent option.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
LCC closes more frequently for avalanche control work than BCC as LCC has 64 slides paths, quite a few more than BCC. Since the advent of the Ikon Pass, BCC has had many closures of varying duration due to what UDOT calls "periods of extreme congestion". This occurs when all car parks fill up early, roadside parking within a couple miles or so of each resort gets maxed out, all backcountry car parks fill up, and gridlock ensues because the volume of vehicles heading up-canyon is unrelenting and traffic canyon-wide comes to a crawl. UDOT and UPD close down upbound traffic at the mouth and detain the remainder of upbound traffic at Reynolds Flat (roughly mid-canyon). Until a sufficient number of vehicles exit the canyon, nothing other than emergency vehicles, ski buses, and employee van pools are allowed to proceed up canyon. This situation can be as brief as an hour or last more than a couple or so hours. Exceptions to this occur when the snow is and has been pounding down or a bad accident has occurred somewhere in the canyon, bringing whatever traffic flow that had existed to a complete standstill. In that case, count on an indeterminable delay. BCC is about 6 miles longer than LCC so a greater number of vehicles can be accommodated. Two seasons ago a supervisor with UDOT told me BCC was experiencing about 1,000 more vehicles per day on average than LCC. Last season a UPD officer told me that number had increased to about 1,500 vehicles per day.

All that aside, a visit in mid-March would likely not coincide with the time periods with the highest likelihood of heavy canyon usage and closure, which are the Xmas - New Years Day holiday timeframe, MLK Day weekend, President's Day weekend, the majority of weekends between Xmas and early March (depending upon the seasonal abundance of snowfall and the timing of storms), plus powder days and days following heavy overnight snowfall at resort elevation.

If you're here in mid-March and staying in the valley during a heavy-snow cycle, get up the canyon early or in the line-up early. If you've been up the canyon(s) skiing during an all-day snowfall, consider leaving earlier than the masses or having dinner at the resort at the end of the day and delaying your descent down the canyon

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! Legit storm cycle coming. 12"-24" by Monday AM with snow continuing on and off thru the week
I'm in Panama city, FL right now and it was 36 degs last night, almost cold enough for snowmaking, of course, it would have to be for a flat Nordic track:)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Wow! Legit storm cycle coming. 12"-24" by Monday AM with snow continuing on and off thru the week
Ugh, too early. It’ll set up a sketchy base.
Unless it just keeps snowing or it all melts.

To be honest I have been loving the weather & incredible mtb conditions along with the spectacular fall colors but any precipitation the west gets will be welcome!
If it actually does snow 2’ in the cottonwoods l am sure turns will be made.

October 25, 2012…
F4B01227-E832-4A2C-B836-4D793CE43851.jpeg

It all melted a week later!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s early but could be a skin fest. I’m ready.
But the thing is… How many 1 to 2 foot storms predicted for the Wasatch more than 2 days out deliver? Half? A third? Less?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I mean, I'll definitely head out snowshoeing or something.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Its looking pretty real. Nice to get a good fall storm rolling though. Stay safe all.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
And we're off! Good start so far. Nuking on the webcams. Already an inch down at Snowbird, didn't expect that at 10:30am (was just supposed to be starting around now). We needed it to hammer snow hard at the start for it to not melt once it hit the ground and it did exactly that.

TS
P-Ute

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1666481480382.png
It is piling up at The Bird!
Nice storm so far, over half inch of rain on the Salt Lake East Bench.
Might be able to get my backcountry gear out on Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online