• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah 2022-2023 Utah Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
FWIW: I-80 over Parley's Summit was a solid sheet of ice around 10:45pm Friday evening. Tractor-trailers had slid around, cars were in the ditch and median. Slow rolling was the way to go.
I’ve got a feeling it’s going to be like that everywhere this morning, 19° and clear as a bell at my house. I just walked outside and the snow pack around my house is frozen hard as a rock. Not sure if it is fully supportable
but would probably be some good rain corn if it warms up enough during the day. Not sure what the snow will be like up higher. We may have just switched from winter to spring literally overnight!
Slow yer roll!

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@utskier is at The Beav today. They did pretty well in the past two days, but not as much as forecast. The insane thunderstorm that blew through yesterday evening was fast and furious, and that was all. Kinda crazy! I'm definitely curious to know what off-piste is like today, and I'm sure it will vary based on location and altitude. I think Snowbasin got more rain than snow yesterday.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be skiing at UOP this afternoon, so... doesn't really relate to any of this. ;)

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
UOP? University of?

Utah Olympic Park, which has state-of-the-art training facilities for SL, GS, and SG (as well as moguls, freestyle aerials, nordic jumping, bobsled, luge, and skeleton). It's a ski area that is not open to the general public (except as spectators), but Rowmark Ski Academy is having their 40th Anniversary fête there this afternoon so... I shall ski it.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Marcia and I are heading to Alta early pm.

MichBadger

Booting up
Skier
My daughter and I are on the way in from the Midwest. I haven’t been to Utah in quite some time. We have Sunday/Monday/Tuesday and we planning a day each at Alta/Snowbird/Solitude.

I’ve read through the last few pages. Based on recent weather and crowds, would some of the regulars mind giving a tip on what schedule you’d recommend?

We are planning on taking the earliest ski bus from the first stops.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Skied sold out, bluebird Pow Mow today. Parked at hidden lake, the most people I’ve seen all year at the top waiting for the runs to open.
4D478A4B-A108-4834-945C-303F62DD50D1.jpeg

I made one quick lap & retreated to powder country for the rest of the day. The wind storm from yesterday blew everything pretty smooth with a dusting of graupel for frosting.
CA452A36-479B-4838-9A9A-501D37A6FA9D.jpeg

The snow was punchy with a breakable wind crust under the top layer. We saw a lot of people struggling but it was fun, fast surfy snow if you knew how to stay on top. Kept thinking it would get manky in the sun & warming temperatures but it remained very good all day or it least till I quit at 3pm. Again probably not everyone’s cup of tea as was evidenced by the lack of folks repeating the off piste but it worked great for us. Reports were that Paradise, Hidden Lake & Poma stayed busy all day.
Also heard that Snowbasin parked out before noon. Just when we thought it was getting quiet, Spring Break is upon us!

Last edited:

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW: I-80 over Parley's Summit was a solid sheet of ice around 10:45pm Friday evening. Tractor-trailers had slid around, cars were in the ditch and median. Slow rolling was the way to go.

Still chunky at about 9:30 this AM when we went through the summit on our way to Steamboat. Lots of backups at both Park City exits. Fortunately, US 40 got nice and dry the further east we went. Looks like it could be a hairy journey with blowing and drifting snow.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Big crowd at the Bird , mineral didn't open until approx 130pm. Made some lines but gadzoom wasn't too bad. Snow wet down low. Still powdery up high and in trees. Front side went empty when mineral opened. 20230311_132213.jpg

Below are a couple of photos from the Get Serious chutes beside the lower Gadzoom liftline.
Vince checking his phone:
20230311_130823_01.jpg

Getting a little more serious about skiing Get Serious Chute #2:
vince get serious 10 march.jpg

20230311_130909.jpg

Last edited:

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Call it beginner's luck. Approach the canyon mouth from a random road, got routed to join the line-up of cars. As we drove towards the tail end of the line-up, the canyon opened! Every car crossed the medium to join the waiting cars just starting up. I followed the others. So was at Creekside before 9.

Leisurely changing into ski outfit. Gadzoom was skied right on, for TWO laps! Another beginner's luck, as everyone else's brother were stuck waiting over on the tram side. Nice powder. Then Gad II opened as I was cruising by. Jumped on it and did some powder field which I didn't pay attention to the name of.

Didn't stop for pictures.

With Peruvian not open till late, then the tram out of action at some point, the line on the Gad side was insane for a while. That was our signal for "lunch hour". Hmmm... I mean VERY EARLY lunch (like 11 o'clock)

After our early "lunch", we went high on Little Cloud. Good snow. But after the fresh powder early in the morning, somehow the snow high up felt just... so-so. Saw people waiting for Mineral to open. But our legs were beat from skiing right-on multiple chairs, due to pure luck! The cloud also came over and hide the sun. All in all, less pleasant as the days wore on. So left early.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Utah Olympic Park, which has state-of-the-art training facilities for SL, GS, and SG (as well as moguls, freestyle aerials, nordic jumping, bobsled, luge, and skeleton). It's a ski area that is not open to the general public (except as spectators), but Rowmark Ski Academy is having their 40th Anniversary fête there this afternoon so... I shall ski it.
UOP, previously known as the Winter Sports Park (I believe the correct name was the Utah Winter Sports Park), a place I spent quite a bit of time during 2 ski seasons in the early-to-mid 90s. In its infancy, it was home to four ski jumps (18, 38, 68, and 90 meters) and what was purported to be the world's biggest halfpipe. My recollection is that all the other facilities were either under construction or were planned to be constructed at some point in the future. The lodge near the pond where the freestyle aerialists land their jumps in the summer was brand new then. We held our awards ceremonies and swag parties there. I was an employee of a ski event organization that held ski races and mogul contests at several Park City, BCC, and LCC resorts (also Snowbasin and Sundance on rare occasion) at the time. The organization branched into nordic ski jumping events shortly after the Winter Sports Park opened to the public and I became very interested in participating in jumping after working at my first contest. One had to become certified to jump by the staff of the Winter Sports Park. The first two certifications were easily accomplished by an experienced skier. The first was a triple jump or three fairly small jumps in rapid succession skied at quite a fast pace. A passing score qualified one for the 10 meter ski jump which, unlike the other four ski jumps, was not constructed like the typical structure of a ski jump but was a purpose-built, sculptured mound of dirt with a ramp to launch from and a fairly standard landing zone. Certification progression to ever larger jumping facilities was based on technique and one's ability to jump the length of the landing zone (or out-jump it) and consistent successful landing of one's jumps in the telemark position.

Access to the Winter Sports Park was somewhat similar to going to one of the many local resorts: one could purchase day (or night) tickets or a season pass. In the very earliest months of operation, skiers could access the facilities using alpine gear and were even allowed to jump with ski poles. More commonly skiers would jump using tele gear or proper ski jumping gear. I always jumped using my tele gear, which back then consisted of long, skinny skis, simple 3-pin bindings, and low-cut, leather lace-up boots. It never occurred to me to use poles. I became friendly with the staff of the nordic ski jumps and volunteered to work at several ski jumping contests unrelated to my aforementioned employment, which resulted in my having free use of the facilities during public sessions. I witnessed quite a few very bad accidents during my time there and ski poles were soon not permitted and not long thereafter, alpine gear was verboten.

I spent all my time there using the 18 and 38 meter jumps. They, along with the huge half pipe, were accessed by a platter lift. The two larger jumps were located further up the slope at Bear Hollow. I became certified to use the 68 meter jump but it never crossed my mind to do so. Jumping using tele gear was forbidden on anything larger than the 38 meter and I would have had to purchase or rent proper nordic ski jumping equipment. Furthermore, launching from the end of the ramp at such great speed on a jump that big was not something I was prepared to take on. There's no dumping speed once one is committed and in the track (other than assuming a less aerodynamic position). I spent the following year in New Zealand, Australia, and Fiji and it was during that time that SLC was awarded the 2002 Winter Olympics. Once back in the Wasatch, the Winter Sports Park had begun evolving into the UOP and my interest returned to resort and backcountry skiing and riding. I still look back fondly on my time spent nordic jumping and am thankful for having the opportunity to participate in such a fun and thrilling activity.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
UOP, previously known as the Winter Sports Park (I believe the correct name was the Utah Winter Sports Park), a place I spent quite a bit of time during 2 ski seasons in the early-to-mid 90s. In its infancy, it was home to four ski jumps (18, 38, 68, and 90 meters) and what was purported to be the world's biggest halfpipe. My recollection is that all the other facilities were either under construction or were planned to be constructed at some point in the future. The lodge near the pond where the freestyle aerialists land their jumps in the summer was brand new then. We held our awards ceremonies and swag parties there. I was an employee of a ski event organization that held ski races and mogul contests at several Park City, BCC, and LCC resorts (also Snowbasin and Sundance on rare occasion) at the time. The organization branched into nordic ski jumping events shortly after the Winter Sports Park opened to the public and I became very interested in participating in jumping after working at my first contest. One had to become certified to jump by the staff of the Winter Sports Park. The first two certifications were easily accomplished by an experienced skier. The first was a triple jump or three fairly small jumps in rapid succession skied at quite a fast pace. A passing score qualified one for the 10 meter ski jump which, unlike the other four ski jumps, was not constructed like the typical structure of a ski jump but was a purpose-built, sculptured mound of dirt with a ramp to launch from and a fairly standard landing zone. Certification progression to ever larger jumping facilities was based on technique and one's ability to jump the length of the landing zone (or out-jump it) and consistent successful landing of one's jumps in the telemark position.

Access to the Winter Sports Park was somewhat similar to going to one of the many local resorts: one could purchase day (or night) tickets or a season pass. In the very earliest months of operation, skiers could access the facilities using alpine gear and were even allowed to jump with ski poles. More commonly skiers would jump using tele gear or proper ski jumping gear. I always jumped using my tele gear, which back then consisted of long, skinny skis, simple 3-pin bindings, and low-cut, leather lace-up boots. It never occurred to me to use poles. I became friendly with the staff of the nordic ski jumps and volunteered to work at several ski jumping contests unrelated to my aforementioned employment, which resulted in my having free use of the facilities during public sessions. I witnessed quite a few very bad accidents during my time there and ski poles were soon not permitted and not long thereafter, alpine gear was verboten.

I spent all my time there using the 18 and 38 meter jumps. They, along with the huge half pipe, were accessed by a platter lift. The two larger jumps were located further up the slope at Bear Hollow. I became certified to use the 68 meter jump but it never crossed my mind to do so. Jumping using tele gear was forbidden on anything larger than the 38 meter and I would have had to purchase or rent proper nordic ski jumping equipment. Furthermore, launching from the end of the ramp at such great speed on a jump that big was not something I was prepared to take on. There's no dumping speed once one is committed and in the track (other than assuming a less aerodynamic position). I spent the following year in New Zealand, Australia, and Fiji and it was during that time that SLC was awarded the 2002 Winter Olympics. Once back in the Wasatch, the Winter Sports Park had begun evolving into the UOP and my interest returned to resort and backcountry skiing and riding. I still look back fondly on my time spent nordic jumping and am thankful for having the opportunity to participate in such a fun and thrilling activity.
Great post. Thanks.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Really nice at Alta today! Met up with the hooligans & they delivered as expected. Honestly didn't think there would be that much snow on the ground, but we went out a couple of gates and found some really nice stashes. Also, unfortunate GMD grilled cheese update: the fig grilled cheese at GMD is still good, even though it does cost about half of our national GDP. Testing will continue in the future.

Florida Man pictured in his native habitat (keeled over on Gunsight after wailing WHERE ARE YOU TAKING ME? for approx ten minutes):

1678665351054.png

Evan's Dad

Evan's Dad :)
Skier
My daughter and I are on the way in from the Midwest. I haven’t been to Utah in quite some time. We have Sunday/Monday/Tuesday and we planning a day each at Alta/Snowbird/Solitude.

I’ve read through the last few pages. Based on recent weather and crowds, would some of the regulars mind giving a tip on what schedule you’d recommend?

We are planning on taking the earliest ski bus from the first stops.
Not a regular but I would reverse that order if I were you. Solitude on the weekend day and Alta/Bird the other days.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
PM was a pleasant surprise today (LONG)
Wasn’t expecting much but got rewarded.
Pluses:
A small free demo by Backcountry mag.
Atomic Maverick 100 was super nice easy turning in 4-5 “ of pow.
The Scott I tried was not as good as my 8 yr old Bonified’s (quickly forgot it’s name
The new Mary chair (not there my last visit 8 yrs ago) opens up a lot. A game changer !
4 runs of totally untracked runs top to bottom off Mary Bowl near trail edges an in great Aspen glades, Powder Country was open but I didn’t get there. What I found in Mary’s & Paradise area were as good or better. Parking full but hardly anyone on slopes. Untracked areas even at 3pm !
Powder was a bit better than usual Tahoe but not a lot. Being fresh if was still soft.

minuses: not many. I arrived late ( 10:30) didn’t matter) I quickly found a spot near Timber Lodge in Closed lot.
The trail map went online. Sucks as I can’t read it on my phone.
Only one high speed lift. Others are rather slow. Either Timber or Paradise should be replaced with high speed.
The “Village” they can have it.

Confusing parking lot at mid-mountain got me again.
My jinx at DV 5 trips running (stupid stuff) went away last year & this year. But it’s transferred to PM due to poor signage. Last visit 10 yrs ago to PM on last run I dropped below return line and ended at closed Timberline lift. Base shack was open and heated. No phone. A sign said wait for patrol sweep.

Yea right, they blew by without stopping. I walked up to parking lot (steep) I found the area manager. He chewed out the patrollers the next day. Today the same thing happened ! ! Can you believe that. :eek:
I followed the rope line on Cattrack from Mary’s toward the HSQ. It ended halfway down. It was not obvious to stay on ridge top or veer lleft. I veered right thru untracked pow into Cobabe Canyon then to CLOSED Paradise lift. The lifty was still there and called patrol to take me out by snowmobile. I ducked no lines in either case. Luckily I was in no hurry to get down so no real harm Just a jinx !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online