• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Beijing Olympics

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Jenny there was plenty of discussion in last 2 days if they should ski full 50k or not. There were some racers who were complaining about cutting race down to 30k (28k in fact), but most of people being loudest, were people who never raced single kilometer. Racing at -16c is not really fun. Racing at -16c and 50kmh wind is beyond that, and racing 50k in such conditions is simply dangerous. Many people said noone is forcing them to race in race suits, with race gloves and race boots. While it's true, it's not realistic to expect they will be wearing warmup suits, thick gloves and boot covers on race, when they race for Olympic medals. Noone is going to sacrifice their chances for Olympic medal just to feel cozy and warm.
There was Visma classic marathon race last season, which was held at officially allowed temperates (minimum temperature for race to go through is -21c), and it was allowed to wear heated gloves and boot soles (never heard until then that there's rule against that), yet noone did, as it was race (Visma Classic is basically marathon equivalent of WC tour). Result was, that several racers got bad frostbites, some to such extent that fingers or toes amputation were required. And everyone were all over FIS how they allowed this to happen. Now, when FIS did the opposite, everyone are all over them again, that they should let racers race full length. So obviously whatever they do, nothing is going to be ok.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
so done with the Schadenfreude nonsense, prefer to share the following video which reminds me of the joy I had viewing the many genuine moments live throughout the past week and a half. Enjoy:)

#NBCOlympics #WinterOlympics2022 #TeamUSA

The Olympic Spirit: Sportsmanship in action in Beijing | Winter Olympics 2022 | NBC Sports

Feb 20, 2022

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Norway #1 in the medal legaue, which is quite an achivement of a country with roughly 1/2 the population of London.

Skärmavbild 2022-02-21 kl. 09.43.02.png

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Exactly! Stuff some insulation down there! I know then there’s be a lot of talk about the stuffed suit, but better than frostbite!
No way a 50K race should be run in those conditions.
@Jenny there was plenty of discussion in last 2 days if they should ski full 50k or not. There were some racers who were complaining about cutting race down to 30k (28k in fact), but most of people being loudest, were people who never raced single kilometer. Racing at -16c is not really fun. Racing at -16c and 50kmh wind is beyond that, and racing 50k in such conditions is simply dangerous. Many people said noone is forcing them to race in race suits, with race gloves and race boots. While it's true, it's not realistic to expect they will be wearing warmup suits, thick gloves and boot covers on race, when they race for Olympic medals. Noone is going to sacrifice their chances for Olympic medal just to feel cozy and warm.
Exactly. There would always be a few who don't dress right to have more a chance to win and take big risks.
I've done several 50K races where is was -20C at the start but warming up later for me (50K for me takes a little over 3 hours, so more than an hour longer than those guys) without much wind and that was rough. And seen people on snowmobile ambulances because of the cold. The sport, at least at the high end, should be about speed over a couple hours, not survival.

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
50k is tough no matter what. Every single real 50k race, regardless of conditions, I did, went into toughest races I ever did. It's not just distance, as for example 70k Marcialonga marathon I finished in top 30 so not really skiing for fun just to come around, was piece of cake compared to proper 50k races. Racing it in such conditions is just no go if you ask me. And I just can't imagine anyone would start proper race, even less Olympics, with warmup clothes on, thick gloves and boot covers. It's race and on race you go to race, which means race gear.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There was Visma classic marathon race last season, which was held at officially allowed temperates (minimum temperature for race to go through is -21c), and it was allowed to wear heated gloves and boot soles (never heard until then that there's rule against that), yet noone did, as it was race (Visma Classic is basically marathon equivalent of WC tour). Result was, that several racers got bad frostbites, some to such extent that fingers or toes amputation were required. And everyone were all over FIS how they allowed this to happen. Now, when FIS did the opposite, everyone are all over them again, that they should let racers race full length. So obviously whatever they do, nothing is going to be ok.
It's too bad that there are so many people unhappy no matter what you do.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I think Oberlech. We met Hubert at his restaurant briefly there during 80’s National Academy. I thought he had a daughter also on WC?

EDIT: I was mistaken, it was Patrick Ortlieb we met in Oberlech& whose daughter was a recent world cupper. Sorry for my confusion, we had just been by the Strolz shop down the hill.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
50k is tough no matter what. Every single real 50k race, regardless of conditions, I did, went into toughest races I ever did. It's not just distance, as for example 70k Marcialonga marathon I finished in top 30 so not really skiing for fun just to come around, was piece of cake compared to proper 50k races. Racing it in such conditions is just no go if you ask me. And I just can't imagine anyone would start proper race, even less Olympics, with warmup clothes on, thick gloves and boot covers. It's race and on race you go to race, which means race gear.
I'll just leave this here. 50% of the SkiTalk audience will be cringing.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/21/sport/beijing-2022-frozen-finn-remi-spt-intl/index.html

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll just leave this here. 50% of the SkiTalk audience will be cringing.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/21/sport/beijing-2022-frozen-finn-remi-spt-intl/index.html
I'm cringing and I'm not a member of that 50%. I have to wonder if frost bite in said parts would have a permanent effect?

On that note, is it always that bitter cold there? If so, again, why was that region chosen? It seems it was that bitterly cold for the duration of the games. Doesn't seem to take the athletes' health and wellness into account...

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
On that note, is it always that bitter cold there? If so, again, why was that region chosen? It seems it was that bitterly cold for the duration of the games. Doesn't seem to take the athletes' health and wellness into account...
Evidently so - Siberian anticyclone.

https://www.9news.com/article/sport...china/73-be8e512b-348c-4699-9498-86cf432533e7

I keep hearing China was picked because no western nation wanted to bear the cost of hosting the games or the ignominy of unused infrastructure after the games are over. So, it came down to Bejing vs Almaty, Kasakhstan and, having suffered a couple of trips to Kazakhstan, I'm thinking Bejing was the superior choice.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've read that he has concerns about his ability to father children. I share his concerns ... if he isn't even able to take care of that after the first incident, I don't think a child should be left in his care.
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::doh::doh::doh:

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm coming from a place of ignorance here, as I've never cross country skied in my life, much less done 30k in those temps. But there must be something they can wear underneath their race suit for extra insulation, without comprising their race performance too badly. I can't imagine anyone's wearing the exact same outfit at 32°F, and 0°F. It probably wasn't the most fun race, but the rest of the pack seemed to not have as big a problem. There were a bunch of racers, but only one guy who ended up with a frozen d!@&.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've read that he has concerns about his ability to father children. I share his concerns ... if he isn't even able to take care of that after the first incident, I don't think a child should be left in his care.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January