• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Inline skating thread.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I didn't watch his video, but what you describe sounds like a classic push with some weird angles? With no "S" under-push, it is not a double push.

From your comment, you're really not seeing it.

Both feet are doing 'S' to either side of the body, nonstop and without being lifted off the ground.

It's just Eddy's 'hawking' drill (starting at 1:40) except swapping feet, and more scissored than shown.

You've never done Crazy Legs? Maybe you know it under a different name?

What do you call adductor/abductor squeezes where you push your edges out to 2 hips wide and then bring them in?
Edges are on the big toe side / \ pushing out, on the little toe side \ / pulling in?

Anyway, once you can actually do ^that drill, enough to accelerate, throw in a scissor.

If you can do a scissor, and keep acceleration, do alternating foot scissor.

That's Crazy Legs. Watch the feet on the right side in this split:

Notice he's *not* doing an edge change - he's on big toe edges constantly. That's where we can do one better.

Now do the same thing except with corresponding (skates parallel in coronal plane) edges.

Make the scissor deeper.

BOOM - slow speed double push with no lift and no glide phase. It does make your muscles work constantly (no glide phase) and it requires STRONG adductors, but it is just *awesome* in the wet.

Last edited:

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Unfortunately I think my skating season is over. I went for a 20-miler yesterday and my outer ankle bone was not healed after resting for two weeks. I possibly injured it further. It might be a tendon issue, too. My ankle is kinda "creaky" on the rear part of that outside ankle bone when I flex my ankle. My uninjured left ankle doesn't make that sound or feel like that. Yikes.

This is probably going to take a month or longer to recover. I want to be ready for ski season. Next year I will consider protecting it with another heat mold to make more room in that area and a neoprene ankle booty for added cushioning. Needless to say, I'm bummed.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
From your comment, you're really not seeing it.

Both feet are doing 'S' to either side of the body, nonstop and without being lifted off the ground.

It's just Eddy's 'hawking' drill (starting at 1:40) except swapping feet, and more scissored than shown.

You've never done Crazy Legs? Maybe you know it under a different name?

What do you call adductor/abductor squeezes where you push your edges out to 2 hips wide and then bring them in?
Edges are on the big toe side / \ pushing out, on the little toe side \ / pulling in?

Anyway, once you can actually do ^that drill, enough to accelerate, throw in a scissor.

If you can do a scissor, and keep acceleration, do alternating foot scissor.

That's Crazy Legs. Watch the feet on the right side in this split:

Notice he's *not* doing an edge change - he's on big toe edges constantly. That's where we can do one better.

Now do the same thing except with corresponding (skates parallel in coronal plane) edges.

Make the scissor deeper.

BOOM - slow speed double push with no lift and no glide phase. It does make your muscles work constantly (no glide phase) and it requires STRONG adductors, but it is just *awesome* in the wet.
Oh now I see, never did that one and not sure I'd be comfortable with it on wet macadam, would need to see live or video of you or someone performing the dance on slick and wet roads to fully get the picture. Never saw any of the racers do that on the slick and wet.
I never was a skater, don't really consider myself a skater now, point me in a straight line and I go is about the extent of it.
First skates I owned and skated Kelly Drive on were Salomon Vitesse 5 x 80mm marathon skates not because I aspired to race or do marathons but because the longer frame and wheelbase gave a much smoother ride than the 4 by setups and in my minds eye more fore and aft stability to keep me from falling backwards or over the handle bars.
I learned some technique from Youtube videos and some from the racers who I would zip around Kelly Drive with, and latter pace line skating MLK and SRT with the group of racers. I did not attend Eddy Matzger clinic when Josh Willis bought him to and hosted him in Philly somewhere around the middle '00's.
Still can't stop to save my life!

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I’ve been skating a lot in pumptracks lately, mostly because it is simply so much fun and a great workout, but I also suspected it would be super ski specific. Back on snow after the summer break, suspicion totally confirmed. My ski legs are just there in a way they never have been on ski day 1. Even though the rest of the body is gasping for oxygen, the legs are solid and skis planted in the snow.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
My ski legs are just there in a way they never have been on ski day 1.
Yeah, my skiing is so much stronger after an off-season of inline skating.

-For me it shows up in improved one-legged balance and edge control.

-Less so in quad strength as I don't skate low enough to really develop my quads as much as I could. I'm getting there.

-Skate boots also make ski boots feel like luxury cruiseliners. Not that my skates are uncomfortable, but there's so much more padding in typical ski boots compared to having essentially carbon fiber on skin with skate boots. So when I slip into ski boots, it's like, whoa, that's different.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^What all of you are probably seeing, and may not be crediting enough, is the adductor/abductor and steering muscle control.

I had a look at my logs and notebooks from '18 and :geek:. Ater 2.5 seasons of injury rehab and barely skating my adductors are only at 40% of what they were just-pre-virus. :(

Last edited:
TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Eh long, banal story and nothing to do with skating. A foot break that wasn't fixed right that had to be fixed again that led to tendon issues because I had been compensating for far too long.

Sponsor

Staff online