• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2023-2024 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The clear cut was nice today. You really had to push the snow sideways to get turns started. Tipping to engage was a bit too responsive and prone to breaking through.

PXL_20240319_195114679.jpg
First run upper section

PXL_20240319_195514272.jpg
First run lower section.

PXL_20240319_204310845.jpg
Second run upper section.

PXL_20240319_205226442.jpg
My tracks from Saturday. They were well set up.

PXL_20240319_213014068.jpg
From my office doorway.

strava7444672787168032018.jpg
I understand the upper mountain at Breck was firm around noon. I wasn't going to put my knees through that wringer. What a fun day skiing wet old powder in the sun.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The clear cut was nice today. You really had to push the snow sideways to get turns started. Tipping to engage was a bit too responsive and prone to breaking through.

View attachment 230283
First run upper section

View attachment 230284
First run lower section.

View attachment 230285
Second run upper section.

View attachment 230286
My tracks from Saturday. They were well set up.

View attachment 230287
From my office doorway.

View attachment 230288
I understand the upper mountain at Breck was firm around noon. I wasn't going to put my knees through that wringer. What a fun day skiing wet old powder in the sun.

I am dreaming of the day when I can come lap this with you again. Just need a new hip... nothing major. ;)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I am dreaming of the day when I can come lap this with you again. Just need a new hip... nothing major. ;)
I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon in April. I'm looking for new knees. They went from no pain to can't race in a season. :-(

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Parking reservations coming to A-Basin next season....

Reservations will be required weekends, holidays and other peak days until 1 PM from mid-December until early May. General parking reservations will be available for $20 per vehicle. While a daily reservation is required for every vehicle, a limited number of parking season passes will be available for $150 to cover fees for the entire season. For carpoolers, vehicles with four or more people are still required to have a reservation, but the reservation will be free.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier

Out for the season with torn ACL. Not stoked on this change for next year.

A Basin claims this was 100% of their own volition, which does not make much sense to me other than to guarantee no one buys their pass.

This system I guess would make sense if say Ikon passes had fewer limits on access....

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Got my A Basin pass this morning. There was nothing indicating anything about a parking pass or reservations. maybe I was too quick and missed it? Then I got the email after I had my pass. :rolleyes:

Copper has already announced the date for the 24/25 1st pass price increase so I'm guessing Ikon won't be far behind. Can't renew a Copper parking pass online. Now you need to call and provide proof you have a 24/25 season Copper or Ikon pass to get inside parking.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier

I guess I'll be more vigilant next year about not going to A-Basin until after Loveland closes.

Or at least, not on weekends.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Got my A Basin pass this morning. There was nothing indicating anything about a parking pass or reservations. maybe I was too quick and missed it? Then I got the email after I had my pass. :rolleyes:

Copper has already announced the date for the 24/25 1st pass price increase so I'm guessing Ikon won't be far behind. Can't renew a Copper parking pass online. Now you need to call and provide proof you have a 24/25 season Copper or Ikon pass to get inside parking.
Par for the course these days to have changes that are absolutely because of Ikon but somehow are not because of Ikon.

It’s probably coming everywhere. Monarch spends all of their time imploring people to carpool when they run three two seat chairs and a four seat in slo-mo. I’m sure this is just a precursor to making reservations which is just a precursor to charging for parking through the reservation system, which is of course the point of the reservation system in the first place.

I might just buy the CB parking pass next year. If you think of it lump sum 20 days is $400 bucks and that’s like 8 beers and a hotdog at Vail so we just have to keep rolling. Most of what we don’t enjoy about skiing occurs when we aren’t skiing.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
I take this as a good sign that Ikon full passes, at least, will be unlimited next year ala Crystal.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I take this as a good sign that Ikon full passes, at least, will be unlimited next year ala Crystal.
Alta initiated parking reservations after going on Ikon so I’m not sure it’s an indicator of unlimited despite my belief that A-Basin will be unlimited.

They will assuredly try to sell all of the season passes prior to releasing that information.

Last edited:

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
Alterra doesn’t own Alta like Crystal. I find it an extremely strange announcement coming from Dream who is selling. The 20 dollars is what puts me off as parking reservations seems inevitable.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
In the past few years, I have generally written-off skiing weekends at any ski area in Colorado within driving distance of the Front Range. I plan my trips generally accordingly to avoid Saturdays.
Unfortunately, between with mega passes and explosive growth in the Front Range over the past 2 decades there are far to many people wanting to ski on the weekend at these resorts.

I feel bad for the Front Range weekend warrior that just wants to ski several weekends a winter with their family. The CF that has become I-70 and these places has made it increasingly impossible, frustrating, and/or expensive, or requires extensive planning.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Its not all Ikon. Just a sign of the overpopulated times.

Even our little mountain at Santa Fe has been forced to initiate HOV parking in two of the lots on weekends and holidays. This in response to several new snow weekends that brought locals and spring break Texans at the same time. That resulted in a conga line of cars miles down the road waiting for one car out, one car in!

Not to mention reading here the horror stories of waiting in traffic on I70 to enter the Copper parking lots.

Something had to give.

For years there were threads on this site and Epic bemoaning the lack of growth in skier visits and what can we do before areas shut down and skiing dies out.

Careful what we wish for!!!

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
The biggest takeaway with skiing in the 2020s......don't ski weekends. Especially Saturdays from Christmas through end of March.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The biggest takeaway with skiing in the 2020s......don't ski weekends. Especially Saturdays from Christmas through end of March.
I haven’t had any issue skiing weekends with ~35 total days this year, but I ski off Rt 50 now.

The difficulty is tied directly to the major metro day trip scene - I-70, LCC, Tahoe, etc. I never skied Saturdays, Sundays were always manageable. As it got worse you left a bit earlier and we skied Loveland and bumped at 2:30 to beat the rush. Used the express lane when it made sense.

Charging $20 doesn’t make any more parking available. It just means they know it won’t affect demand so why not take it.

Skiing has is solidly in the price inelasticity of demand category. That’s why day tickets are $300. The days of free lots are numbered….

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Ok back to skiing. How is the freeze thaw going? CB is supposed to be 45° tomorrow but Monarch only 34°, sunny.

Concerned CB will warm to sticky after lows around 13° tonight. Or it might be a great afternoon.

Monarch seems a safer bet but don’t know how crispy it’s been getting. CB will also hit me up $20 for parking and Monarch won’t :P. But let’s be honest we’d all pay $20 for the better day, right?
Any intel appreciated. :beercheer:

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Its not all Ikon. Just a sign of the overpopulated times

Something had to give.

Exactly. I hear lots of complaining, but no one offering up better solutions. The only solutions are 1) increase prices to lower demand, or 2) increase supply with more parking lots and more skiable terrain/faster lifts. JMO.

Sponsor