• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2023-2024 Colorado Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok back to skiing. How is the freeze thaw going? CB is supposed to be 45° tomorrow but Monarch only 34°, sunny.

Not sure of this storm track but looks like Mon or maybe Tue will be the best day. It has been warm. Getting to that time in the season. I think tomorrow is also suppose to be fairly windy so I'm not sure what to expect this weekend. I guess it will be typical spring tomorrow afternoon with some crunchy early morning. Lightning can stay away please. I usually check like 3 weather reports before going to the morning briefing and getting one there.

CB will also hit me up $20 for parking and Monarch won’t :P. But let’s be honest we’d all pay $20 for the better day, right?

Copper upped the parking pass price $100 this season. Bet it sells out again this season in a few weeks or sooner. How long do you think the A Basin parking pass will take to sell out? I would not be the least bit surprised if it sells out same day it goes on sale. If it wasn't Al doing the talking I would probably be calling BS and blaming Ikon.

Oh, and you have a subbie spot right up front ready for you if you ever decide to come back to Copper :beercheer:

Last edited:
Reactions: nay

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
I was thinking more about the A-Basin parking scheme, and I understand how they kind of got to where they are. Parking is their biggest capacity limitation on the hill.

One of the "issues" with A-Basin is that it attracts a lot of Summit County locals who will run up early and either up-hill or ski some laps for an hour or two before going to work or getting on with their day. A non-issue most weekdays when its quiet, but it amplifies itself on weekend or peak powder days. Then this skier demographic leaves by 11am, but it really crunches the parking in the morning. From a business perspective, I can see that A-Basin would rather have the day-tripper or destination visitor who is going to stick around most of the day and probably spend more money on F&B, lessons, rentals, swag, etc.

A "free" reservation system wouldn't really solve this problem, as it would simply get a lot of people booking reservations who want to ski for an hour or two and leave. $20, makes people think a bit more and might cause some to change their behavior to either not ski there for an hour on weekends and/or carpool, or ride the Summit Stage. The issue with the Summit Stage for these types is the frequency at an hour a part, and kind of limits the flexibility of the "ski before work" crowd.

$20 x 20 weekend holiday days is $400. That will make people think twice. The $20 and reservations for day-tripper from the Front Range or destination skier visiting CO isn't going to balk at spending $20 on a handful of days throughout the season. I can see why locals are going to be increasingly frustrated, but then again the easiest solution is to not ski weekends but not everyone has the flexibility or schedule to shift their skiing to weekdays, particularly if they want to ski with their school-aged children.

The mega passes and population boom in Colorado have changed the scene in big ways.
I actually think this actually bodes well in the medium-term for the smaller ski areas in the mountain west as a lot of people are going to eventually spill-over from the mega resorts due to all the reasons of price, hassle, flexibility, and vibe/culture.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Parking lots have an identical capacity independent of charging for them. This isn’t new, we’re just going to charge for things we didn’t used to charge for because we are owned by one of the duopoly.

I’m a big fan of people who are good at perfuming the pig, but it’s still a pig. And I don’t think parking is a ”problem”. The problem is showing up at a leisurely hour and then complaining that you couldn’t park.

I’ll offer a solution: get there early. $20 every time is not a solution, it’s a new problem that doesn’t solve an old problem.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pay for parking can alter the equation IF there is an option such as a reasonable shuttle. Cost changes behavior..

I thought SkiSantaFe's solution to designate a high occupancy parking lot was very creative.

Finally, do you really want to increase parking capacity by any great margin? That just means more crowds on the slopes.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Another lovely day on the clearcut. A couple inches of fresh on the smooth refrozen old surface made for delightful turns. The second run it was just beginning to get breakthrough at the lower elevations.

PXL_20240322_214840218.jpg
A couple of those tracks are mine. There was a skimo doing hot laps and making some fine turns as well. He lapped me once. Go figure. ;-)

strava1622131052167552951.jpg

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Snow chances look good this upcoming week right in time for a spring break trip to Vail.

Models are still all over the place and so the NWS yet to pinpoint details or issue advisories. It's coming. Hopefully 20"+ if lucky over the week.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Pay for parking can alter the equation IF there is an option such as a reasonable shuttle. Cost changes behavior..

I thought SkiSantaFe's solution to designate a high occupancy parking lot was very creative.

Finally, do you really want to increase parking capacity by any great margin? That just means more crowds on the slopes.
We already have that here - you can take a nice RTA bus out of Gunnison 23 times a day for free and CB runs town buses all day long.

The resort has little parking - two small free lots and the main lot is $15 Mon-Thu and $20 Fri-Sun and over holidays and it has about 400 spots.

The buses bring the volume, want to drive most likely you are paying unless you get there early (easy enough even on big storm days).

Monarch bought Monarch Crest at the top of the pass for more parking and they require oversized vehicles to park there and shuttle. Any new lifts? Nope.

I always remember talking to a ski patrol guy at Loveland who said “we have more uphill lift capacity than parking capacity”. That’s why Loveland is such a great place to ski.

A-Basin has added a lot of lift capacity and is in a position to charge for parking given the benefit of not having overwhelming lift lines. Loveland could also charge and so could Monarch and usually when one Domino falls there are many to follow.

Gas prices going up $1 also costs $20 a day for ski commuters and nobody blinks at that - it’s the point at which you pay that causes the grievance - gas feels indirect and parking does not.

I made the point a few years ago that you can save enough money over a season by skiing Loveland vs A-Basin that the LL pass is free. 14 miles of extra driving, $2 more for a beer, $3 more for lunch. Over 30 days that’s the pass.

And now you can pay for the LL pass just by not paying A-Basin parking. That seems simple enough. People spend exceptional amounts of time driving right by Loveland for a massively worse experience that easily costs double. We’re a strange bunch.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin' Newb
Skier
Monarch bought Monarch Crest at the top of the pass for more parking and they require oversized vehicles to park there and shuttle. Any new lifts? Nope.
No new lifts... yet.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Decided on CB today (and paid $20 parking at 12:20pm) because it was supposed to get 10° warmer than Monarch and webcams showed a high cloud deck over Monarch. That kinda thing can preserve the reef all day if it hangs around.

We were rewarded with fantastic slush skiing on the lower aspects with beautiful temps and even a bit of off piste corn. Upper mountain was winter mash.

IMG_0430.jpeg IMG_0400.jpeg IMG_0422.jpeg

Tomorrow is perilous given heavy refreeze and forecast cloud cover.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
No new lifts... yet.

Yes…we have so much great terrain it will be cool to add something other than parking :P.

How was it today if you got up there?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Today was another 'work/volunteer' day with Rocky Mountain Masters. This time at Breck! We haven't been there for years and we were all excited about getting back on Cimarron for SG. I was a set of eyes on the hill for safety as well as wearing a 'gate judge' hat, too.

PXL_20240323_180323098.jpg
The view from my spot at 'VBH' (Valve Block House) at about gate #9.

PXL_20240323_180346624.jpg
Looking down VBH pitch to 'Basketball'.

PXL_20240323_201845140.jpg
It got a bit darker by the end of the day.

strava1931127253308198902.jpg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
We decided to ’risk the reef’ and headed to Monarch yesterday, based on webcams showing more sun than CB. It was a groomers only day and we had fun working on form with fat skis on crispy stuff. It must be Spring. Zero lines, zero crowds. Must not still be Spring Break?

The sun came out again mid afternoon and really softened up a few aspects with nice temps. You gotta take what it gives this time of year. You probably don’t have to ski Bents, but then why not.

ms nay is loving her new Roxa R3W boots, the fit is a game changer for her and that boot in a 24.5 is existentially light for a ripper.

IMG_0762.jpeg

Just messing around on the Bents.

IMG_0763.png

I did have to take a run on Tango to test the reef. Some was soft, most was not, and oh so damp a ski :P

IMG_0437.jpeg

Tomorrow is looking first chair tasty.

IMG_0766.jpeg

And another pass, too…

IMG_0767.jpeg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Get Bent!

Today was the last day of Rocky Mountain Master's 2024 season. The Wolf Cup was up for grabs in 2 SGs instead of the usual 2 DHs; we didn't have any DHs this season. I was on the injured list so not a contender. John Rice took it in a close battle with some excellent skiing.

PXL_20240324_135352074.jpg
It was nice for the early lift load to help set.

PXL_20240324_155258615.PANO.jpg
The weather declined as the storm moved in and as I was preparing to leave, the lifts all closed due to lightning.

strava8544287641018104136.jpg
Our snow stake doesn't look as splendid as Monarch's at the moment. Hopefully our forecasted 8+ will come to fruition by morning.

Full Trucker

Frikkin' Newb
Skier
Yes…we have so much great terrain it will be cool to add something other than parking :P.

How was it today if you got up there?
Didn't make it up on Friday, busy at work so opted to mountain bike in the later afternoon. Went up Saturday, as you noted pretty crunchy and vis was some of the worst of the year. Was out of there by 1pm, back to town for another mountain bike ride in the afternoon. Gonna miss all the fun this week unfortunately... super busy at work and a medical procedure on Wednesday will have me out of commission until Thursday at the earliest. Just in time for my new gravel bike to arrive, so that's exciting.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Didn't make it up on Friday, busy at work so opted to mountain bike in the later afternoon. Went up Saturday, as you noted pretty crunchy and vis was some of the worst of the year. Was out of there by 1pm, back to town for another mountain bike ride in the afternoon. Gonna miss all the fun this week unfortunately... super busy at work and a medical procedure on Wednesday will have me out of commission until Thursday at the earliest. Just in time for my new gravel bike to arrive, so that's exciting.
Ah yes Salida so you have biking, mud season here in Gunni but there is some riding and I got out today.

Vis at Monarch yesterday got a lot better with sun peeking through not long after you left. I’ve skied so much low vis this season it’s almost weird to ski in the sun.

Tomorrow is going to be a completely different story…

Sponsor

Staff online