• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2023-24 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Mnut had a decent overnight run of snowmaking and should have another night or two assuming they dont get an inversion. Should be fine for the weekend. Last weekend coverage was good on most of their runs.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
All three western PA Vail Resorts are making snow as I write. I'm in NE and it's the same at the Vail Resorts here in NH, still making snow and getting more terrain open. It's been warm here too. Heading to Wildcat tomorrow.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^Passed Massanutten driving down 81 this am.

Sorry…not a ski question….but I’m in Lexington, VA. for the weekend…Any recommendations from the Mid Atlantic locals for food/beer, etc…..thx.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sunday Feb 25th is my next target date. Applalachian most likely.. Wintergreen is also doable for me.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Booked Sunday mid day at Appalachian... Plans are skiing 11:30 until around 130-2ish. I'll be wearing a new green jacket, black pants, and loud colorful gloves skiing on Motive 80s

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied at Winterplace in WV yesterday. Drove up to Princeton WV to stay overnight on Tuesday, stayed at the Turnpike Motel...cheap and decent. Good breakfast at Dolly's Diner just down the street. Made the decision to got to Winterplace as the drive time was about the same as going to Beech, which was my other consideration. Drive was OK except 77 north of 81 had a TON of truck traffic...but not much at all on the drive home.
First time impressions: conditions were good, plenty of snow on the slopes except for one spot on Turkey Chute. First impression riding up the lift over the green/blue runs was the runs just kind of went every which-way. After a half-dozen runs there and a quick bathroom and refreshment break, I went over to the lift by the Mountainhouse. That's a great little pod of blue and black runs. Spent the rest of the day over there. The only negative part of the experience is they had exactly ONE person selling all the lift tickets, rentals, ski-school etc. Had one group of about 10 people that took the person about 20 minutes to take care of. On the plus side, compared to the NC ski areas, the parking lot and lodge are on level ground, so you don't have a hill to walk up or down.
The short run down from the lodge was total mashed potatoes by 2 pm, and there were a lot of "grabby" spots elsewhere...good time to call it a day.

Attachments

• Resized_20240221_114835_1708563827107.jpeg
    Resized_20240221_114835_1708563827107.jpeg
    427.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Resized_20240221_114830_1708563839740.jpeg
    Resized_20240221_114830_1708563839740.jpeg
    567.9 KB · Views: 6

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My out of shape legs are a big fan of WinterPlace. We took 3 trips there with the scout troop staying in those bunk houses across the parking lot. I dig lapping that Turkey Chute lift. Reminds me of Minnesota and Wisconsin sprawled out places where you have to really carry speed from the top of the main lift to get over there though...

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Planning to head to Whitetail tomorrow for at least the morning... anyone else going to be out there?

I'd usually skip Saturday and go Sunday, but can't make it Sunday, and I'm itching to get back on skis after a couple of weeks...

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Massanutten this Sunday for me. My son is driving up from Virginia Tech to meet me for the day.

After that - 4 days in VT/NY (Killington and then Gore) the first week of March with my son over his spring break. Weather up north taking a turn for the warmer next week, so hopefully the timing will work out and we will get up there before they start losing trails.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Planning to head to Whitetail tomorrow for at least the morning... anyone else going to be out there?

I'd usually skip Saturday and go Sunday, but can't make it Sunday, and I'm itching to get back on skis after a couple of weeks...
I'll be at one of the SkiLittle3 on Sunday. I can't do Saturday.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied at Winterplace in WV yesterday. Drove up to Princeton WV to stay overnight on Tuesday, stayed at the Turnpike Motel...cheap and decent. Good breakfast at Dolly's Diner just down the street. Made the decision to got to Winterplace as the drive time was about the same as going to Beech, which was my other consideration. Drive was OK except 77 north of 81 had a TON of truck traffic...but not much at all on the drive home.
First time impressions: conditions were good, plenty of snow on the slopes except for one spot on Turkey Chute. First impression riding up the lift over the green/blue runs was the runs just kind of went every which-way. After a half-dozen runs there and a quick bathroom and refreshment break, I went over to the lift by the Mountainhouse. That's a great little pod of blue and black runs. Spent the rest of the day over there. The only negative part of the experience is they had exactly ONE person selling all the lift tickets, rentals, ski-school etc. Had one group of about 10 people that took the person about 20 minutes to take care of. On the plus side, compared to the NC ski areas, the parking lot and lodge are on level ground, so you don't have a hill to walk up or down.
The short run down from the lodge was total mashed potatoes by 2 pm, and there were a lot of "grabby" spots elsewhere...good time to call it a day.

Did the Turkey have the diaganol rut moguls ? A charming characteristic !

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Did the Turkey have the diaganol rut moguls ? A charming characteristic !
Diagonal ruts! I can remember the first year Turkey Chute opened, it had stumps and bumps on it. A lot of fond memories and some crazy stories about our adventures at WP.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Turkey's been groomed the past three times I've been there. Five turn fun runs. I'd ski it bumped up even if they were boarder rut bumps.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Reading the Mt. Lemmon trip report reminded me...the lockers are much cheaper at Winterplace. You can do an all day for $10 (IIRC), small lockers can be had for $1.00 per opening using coins, and they also have free cubbies to use at your own risk. Compared to much higher prices at Sugar and Beech (I think I ended up paying about $25 for medium size lockers at each of those...and the ones at Sugar have a lock mechanism that narrow the entry, so it was extremely difficult to put my Kulkea bag into it...so much so that I dug out an old transpak to use to just take stuff from the car to the lodge after the boots are nice and warm).
Appalachian Mtn. has a nice locker system that they upgraded this year from old fashioned keys to an electronic central system. IIRC it was $7.00 for the day for a good sized locker.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun morning at Whitetail... conditions were re-frozen cord, softening a little by the time I left at lunchtime. A few runs closed and all the others are patchy with some pretty thin/brown places. They'll blow some snow tonight though - otherwise I'd say a couple more runs are on their last legs.

Liftlines were surprisingly short for a Saturday though... ski-on to the lifts for the first hour+ and were just starting to get to be maybe 10 chairs when I left. The slopes themselves were fairly crowded though.

Base area... the fence is new to me (I haven't been there in a couple of seasons). There are signs saying something like "All equipment must be behind the fence"... and sure enough at lunch the whole area was littered with skis. I guess they don't want to put more racks out and try to get people to use them? They used to have a nice ski-check too, which wasn't staffed today, which is a shame.
Whitetail 022424 004 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Lots of this unfortunately... but overall decent conditions given the weather
Whitetail 022424 006 ACR Conv.jpg

View of the green slopes in the distance from the top
Whitetail 022424 010 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

SkiTalk Siderals were the order of the day (Blossom Whiteouts/AM77s)
Whitetail 022424 023 ACR Conv.jpg

Hard to see, but bumps are juuusssttt starting to form on Exhibition
Whitetail 022424 024 ACR Conv.jpg

Way too green valley view
Whitetail 022424 028 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online