• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Blizzard Brahma 88

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Andy Mink
Size tested: 183cm
Location tested: Mammoth Mountain, CA
Conditions tested in: later afternoon cut up snow that was starting to set up, especially in the shadows; shadowed firm chalk

The Brahma is a beast. At least that's what my notes said. It is a powerful yet workable ski. It will cut through the firming up afternoon chunder as fast as you wish to go yet allow you to back off with just a bit of pressure release. I haven't been on the former iterations of the Brahma, but I've heard mixed reviews of who they're for. Honestly, I was a bit skeptical about my ability to pilot this ski. Suffice it to say, the Brahma in the 2023 build IS an accessible ski for a strong skier who likes to carve up or blow through whatever happens to be on the surface.

On the hard chalk surface I searched out, the Brahma held on with tenacity but allowed me to slip when I felt a bit tentative. On the groomers, it came to life but it does like to be moving along before really showing its capabilities. There is a reason it's called "BRAHMA". It is strong, it's burly, and it will beat you up if you're not careful. But once, long ago, I knew a Brahma cow by the name of Josie and she was a sweetheart. You just had to treat her right or she could hurt you. Kinda like the ski.
  • Insider tip: Between sizes? You may want to take the shorter one.
  • One thing that I would change: A bit more tail rise would help in the bumps...if you want to go around them instead of through them.
Winks
Size tested: 171cm
Location tested: Sugarbowl
Conditions tested in: Fresh wind buff

I can't say anything bad about a Brahma; it‘s the ski that lives up to its logo and namesake. It’s a bull, it‘s a beast, it’s the hardcore groomer slayer. The Brahma has always been marketed as one of the go-to skis in the 80-90mm all-mountain carving categories. While not the ski for me, it is fun and I have to admit that. Yes, it has been toned down over the years to appear to a larger amount of skiers but that's okay, nothing really wrong with that. If you are purchasing this ski you already know you want it, or your friends have told you its the best ski they have ever owned. Don't worry too much about the details: It’s a great ski.

I have to say that personally I am getting tired of this ski. They have made changes and refined it over the years but I am ready for Blizzard to do something new. In their defense why change something that continues to sell out year over year? Especially now that it turns easier, feels sharper and has a much rounder smoother flex than the past. To them that is new and they will continue selling it till pretty much everyone has one in their quiver.
  • Insider tip: You won't dislike it.
  • One thing I would change: Everything at this point; I want something new.

Awards
Who is it for?
The bull, you know who you are. The charger who likes to move whatever may appear ahead while leaving trenches behind.
Who is it not for?
The tentative skier. The Brahma will buck you off. Timid skiers.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
165, 171, 177, 183, 189
Dimensions
128-88-110
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Construction
  2. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
is there a 2024 of this? GF has been "stealing" a friends new pair, and loving the 183 for "skied out" "tracked out" conditions where here the her 102FR was going to much over and she wanted something to go through, not over

local shop had them teased in display with piston plates, so.. I talked my buddy to get them with marker piston plates! such a fun & weird combo, but everyone who tries them seem to really love the combo.

Im suprised at how short turns she can make that ski go in a 183 (she is 174)

2023-12-25 11.42.12.jpg

2023-12-25 10.16.15.jpg

2023-12-25 10.22.39.jpg

2023-12-25 09.02.53.jpg

Sponsor