Testing skis so you don't have to.
- Mar 5, 2017
Size tested: 178
Location tested: Loveland, CO
Conditions tested in: Soft groomers, moguls, steep faces
With long, deeply rockered and tapered tips, the M-Pro is a very interesting ski. The tips are on the soft side from the tip of the shovel, but from mid-shovel to the tail, the ski is on the stiff end of the spectrum. Together, this ski does what is supposed to do: ski soft, off-piste terrain very well. I skied this in some very challenging terrain, skied off steeps, re-frozen variable and 2” of fresh. I enjoyed this ski almost everywhere. It’s not going to hook up fast on the groomers but once it is on edge, the M-Pro skis well. The M-Pro skis bumps very well with an easy going flex and maintains its composure in firm, variable conditions. This is not a ski to drive the tips, but rather to ski more centered. My friend skis this as his everyday western ski, and I can attest how well it skis in 6-8” of fresh.
- Insider tip: Give this ski a try! Its unique but very capable.
- One thing I would change: Reduce the tip splay.
Philpug: At first glance you might think the new M-Pro 99 is just a warmed-over Legend (which was considered a warmed-over Cham), but that is not the case. Dynastar is doubling down on the extended tip rise with the new M-Pro collection, but it is the construction that sets the new skis apart from their predecessors. There is a solid connection that I haven’t felt from an Dynastar in this category in forever ... maybe ever. What I really liked is its ability to make any turn shape and its stability at speed. I also like the clean, understated graphics.
- Insider tip: The M-Pros demand the all-new Pivot 15, in gold.
- Who is it for?
- Chargers who don’t need to charge all the time.
- Who is it not for?
- Those who disdain tip flop. While the tip does move a bit, and you can see it, that doesn’t mean you feel it. Either way, you shouldn’t be looking at your tips anyhow. Someone looking for a purposely built, soft snow ski, no worries, thats why there is an M-Free 99
- Skier ability
- Ski category
- All Mountain
- Ski attributes
- Off Piste