• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Fischer Ranger 90 WS

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia
Length tested: 170cm
Location tested: Tahoe resorts. Loveland, Co
Conditions tested: A little bit of everything.

The Ranger is not a new name, but Fischer went back to the drawing board and took a ski that was good and brought us a whole new flavor with a new shape, construction and profile, offering a bit more confidence and stability with quicker turn initiation.

We were on the short list to receive the new Ranger 90 WS as part of our long term test fleet, so I got to 'giver in a variety of conditions at a variety of ski resorts. Every once in a while there is a ski that comes along that really handles a lot of different conditions with confidence. The Fischer Ranger 90 WS is one of those skis. During the time I spent on the Ranger 90 I experienced firm groomers, where it held an edge and turned on demand. I encountered some surprise snow where it floated in the freshies, danced in the moguls and even sliced through the chop when things were tracked out. I skied in spring slop and glop where it acted like a college student proclaiming "Spring break! Whew!!" While I rarely tout a ski for being a true one ski quiver, this is one that comes pretty darn close, and it really does hold up as a ski that a variety of skiers with a variety of skill sets will find quite outstanding.
  • Insider tip: If you're looking for a longer length, try the non WS version, same construction.
  • One thing I'd change: I'd add some pop to the graphics.

Lauren
Size tested: 170
Location tested: Waterville Valley, NH
Conditions tested in: 6-8” of fresh snow. Temperatures hovered right around freezing. Fresh lines were found, and bumps were plentiful.

A new Ranger is in town. A completely new shape, new construction, and new profile have been introduced. Fischer has created a ski that excels in versatility. The Ranger 90 provided an easy, maneuverable ride slithering though the bumps and carving well on groomed trails.

After starting off the day on its big brother the Ranger 96, I welcomed the friendly, forgiving nature the narrower version provided. In comparison, it felt lighter and easier to control in the new snow, yet slightly less stable. The lighter feel is not unfounded; its wider counterparts sport a heavier wood core that provides additional stability and stiffness.

This is a ski that could meet the needs of a wide variety of skiers. Anyone from an advancing intermediate to an easy-going expert could have a good time all over the mountain with this ski.
  • Insider tip: For extra stability off-piste, look towards the Ranger 96 or 102

Awards
Who is it for?
Skiers that ski with more finesse than power. Someone looking for a do-it-all ski.
Who is it not for?
Hardcore chargers and heavyweights may overpower this ski. Those what want a hard snow biased 90, the Ranger is not that one trick pony.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
  4. Trees
Segment
  1. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
156, 163, 170
Dimensions
129-90-114
Radius
16m@170cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Construction
  2. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. All new
Ski Weight:
1850g@170cm
Binding options
  1. Flat

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update:
Skied these again in full blizzard conditions, and really I should have been on something like the Ranger 102. There were a few times when I needed to work the ski a bit in the heavier piles, but at the end of the day we skied some giant powder moguls and this...this is where the Ranger 90's chops came to life.

Sponsor