• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 National Gathering UT Snowbasin Day (Feb 28) Roll Call and Discussion

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It only took me an hour and a half to drive back to Sandy from Alta. “Only” as it took 30 minutes or less getting there in the morning. I’m glad I left when i did. Snowplows were busy and that backed up the traffic even more.

My guess (hope, wishful thinking) is that Snowbasin won’t have the same type of traffic backup as LCC, just because there’s so much more roadway capacity until the last couple miles to/from Snowbasin.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It only took me an hour and a half to drive back to Sandy from Alta. “Only” as it took 30 minutes or less getting there in the morning. I’m glad I left when i did. Snowplows were busy and that backed up the traffic even more.

My guess (hope, wishful thinking) is that Snowbasin won’t have the same type of traffic backup as LCC, just because there’s so much more roadway capacity until the last couple miles to/from Snowbasin.
It won’t. Except on weekends.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
UDOT crews have been hitting the roads hard this morning. It sounds like there are spotty areas that are quite snow covered, especially I-84 in Weber Canyon. Be extra cautious on the bridges in the canyon! I think in a couple hours things will be much better. Watching the news, they are moving right along near Hill AFB. Commuter traffic will also melt the snow on the roads, so things should just get better. I definitely encourage using the UDOT app as well as Google Maps to check for accidents and major slowdowns. Please message me if you are delayed and think you'll not be booted up and in the lodge by 9 a.m. and we'll arrange for additional meetups. It's not difficult to get back to the base area to grab more people.

Lots of new snow on the mountain! It's also going to be breezy (or windy AF) at least this morning. This will affect lift openings as much as anything, especially Strawberry. Thankfully, it's a big mountain and utskier will know where to find the goods! Bundle up as wind chills are expected to be near zero!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
UDOT crews have been hitting the roads hard this morning. It sounds like there are spotty areas that are quite snow covered, especially I-84 in Weber Canyon. Be extra cautious on the bridges in the canyon! I think in a couple hours things will be much better. Watching the news, they are moving right along near Hill AFB. Commuter traffic will also melt the snow on the roads, so things should just get better. I definitely encourage using the UDOT app as well as Google Maps to check for accidents and major slowdowns. Please message me if you are delayed and think you'll not be booted up and in the lodge by 9 a.m. and we'll arrange for additional meetups. It's not difficult to get back to the base area to grab more people.

Lots of new snow on the mountain! It's also going to be breezy (or windy AF) at least this morning. This will affect lift openings as much as anything, especially Strawberry. Thankfully, it's a big mountain and utskier will know where to find the goods! Bundle up as wind chills are expected to be near zero!
See you soon!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
provided it’s not a powder day ;)
Not sure where or when I’ll end up today. If it’s Snowbasin I’ll be keeping an eye out for you all.
Yesterday was about a foot of dense snow & patrol had their hands full with avalanche mitigation. Everything was running bigger & farther than normal. I even knocked a few short running soft slabs off some knolls myself on my 2nd run. With added wind & another 7” or 8” l’m sure Zion Pow is very busy this morning! Everything was chowder by my 3rd run on JP but by then I think Strawberry opened & the crowd disappeared. Afternoon l was able to find some areas in Middle bowl where the increasing winds had smoothed things out.
Hopefully today’s winds will keep things buffed out, but not strong enough to keep lifts closed.
Fingers crossed that the cottonwoods stay open :crossfingers:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Quick FYI... I've switched to dark/army green pants today if anyone is looking for me at meetup. They're warmer than the yellow ones I've been wearing, though makes me harder to spot. :P

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Quick FYI... I've switched to dark/army green pants today if anyone is looking for me at meetup. They're warmer than the yellow ones I've been wearing, though makes me harder to spot. :P
Really? What's more important? Your comfort or ours?

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Plows are ahead of us in the canyon. It’s moving along ok.

Trappers Loop is very snow packed.

Last edited:

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi. On my way. But running late. ETA 8:50 a.m. if I don't see you at the lodge I'll see you on the hill or at lunch time. Thanks

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wildcat lot is closed! Go to the main lot. We’ll catch stragglers through the day. Even we are running late.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We have two tables inside earls near the gondola. Look for my peach pants red boots.

Sponsor

Staff online