• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Peak 88

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw/talked briefly with a guy last Saturday at Stowe (outside the Octagon) that had the Peak88…sharp looking. Had gold Pivots…sweet combo. Older guy looked/sounded like he knew what he was talking about…

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How does this compare with the Stockli AR?

The AR is a wide front side carver. The Peak 88 is a all mountain ski.
The Peak 88 handled really well in the bumps and still pretty decent on the groomer.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw a pair at Elk Mtn. today…they are even making their way here to our hills here in PA.

Guy said he loves them….usually people don’t even speak/talk/smile at others at Elk… so the fact he answered me says he must really like them….lol.

James

Out There
Instructor
Both @A Grump (5'/10", #240 27 yr) and I (5'/6", #155, 68 yr) been on the Peak 88, 176 cm at Jackson this week. It's a very capable ski. Groomers ranged from soft fresh to hard pack. Bumps were similar with the addition of some chicken heads in the Hobacks.
The feel is a bit glassy when sliding around hard packs in low speed. The glassy feel disappears once on edge. Good top end on the groomers. Good edge grip.

He like the ski well enough to keep it. I still like my 2023 Kendo a bit better.
176 wasn’t too short for him?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
176 wasn’t too short for him?

He didn't think so. But then he is usually on 157 cm tooth picks.
He picked up the Peak 88 so he can ski slowly with his wife. The ski is really nice in the bumps. Handled the screechy wet pack Italian ice they called snow at Jackson.

CDR114

Booting up
Skier
@CDR114 , have you tried putting a ~1/3 tune on your Blossoms, instead of roughly a 1/2 or so?

After sleeping on it, I suspect the Peak 88 might not be so good for MidWest or back East;
specifically, where there is hardpan ice on uneven terrain and bumps, not sure it's damp enough.

This morning, I skied my Peak 110s on a snowing day, 2-3" of fresh snow on crust.
Where the Peaks could engage their flex and edge, it was fine;
but no so great where it was uneven or mild bumps off piste, ice underneath.
It felt a bit like I had to resort to "quick feet/happy feet" skiing a bit.

I was relieved when within an hour or so the surface wet snow fused with the ice/crust underneath,
and the crust disappeared. The 110 Peak skis got much better.

These skis feel pretty light, don't have the dampness of a heavier ski; and the alternate dampening
of the Keyhole tech and the flex doing the turn in place of extra sidecut, take some getting used to, at least for me this time, today.
Thanks for the comment, I will reset the Blossoms to a 1/3 tune as suggested and see what happens. I like the Blossoms for all conditions except the dreaded eastern hardpan. Unfortunately the ski season is about over around here. I think I will hold off on the Peak 88's until more people in the east and mid-west are on them and provide more input how they handle hardpan. Unfortunately I missed our local demo day officiating a ski race elsewhere so maybe I will hold off purchasing something until the middle of next season. Thanks to everyone for the positive input.

Sponsor