• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Salomon Stance 96

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Winks
Size tested: 168cm & 176cm
Location tested: Snowbasin, Sugarbowl
Conditions tested in: Wind buff, day after packed powder

I‘m not even sure what to say here ... I looked down at my feet to make sure I read the top sheet correctly, "Is this really a Salomon?" I asked myself this question over and over. I couldn't believe they made a ski that made my heart race. I immediately jumped on the chairlift for more! My first time testing this was in the 176cm length and it felt so powerful it almost scared me; I accidentally caught some air with it and started grinning from ear to ear. I would put this up next to a Volkl Mantra any day. This thing rips hard. Don't worry that it says Salomon on it, it has all the goodies under the hood. The thing that I really enjoy is that it has a very consistent round flex to it. Stiff but not overly stiff, just enough ski to make it accessible for a lot of people. Seriously I can't say too much more because writing this makes me want to go make some turns on it.

I will comment on taking it out in a smaller size, I usually like my skis in the 170ish range give or take a few centimeters and the 168cm excited me just as much. But, if I owned a pair, I would want to rip around on the longest length just because it felt like a wide almost GS-like ski. It has a longer turn radius than most average skis these days, but that's totally okay.
  • Insider tip: Maybe go a bit longer, it didn't seem to bother me.
  • One thing I would change: Paintjob, kind of dull.
Philpug: Remember the Salomon Sentinel? This is the modern incarnation of that brown bomber. Salomon hasn’t offered a ski with such power in this class since that wonderful ski. The Stance 96 really wants to charge and be that one-ski quiver for a bigger skier, and I think Salomon hit the bullseye (but not with a dart, more like a battle axe.)

On snow, very little bothers the Stance 96; it just wants to make power turns. This ski is a real confidence builder: the faster you want to go, the more it just stays calm and grips the snow. Whether you are cranking out medium S-turns or making figure 11s, the Stance 96 will do it all.

Insider tip: The Stance is calling for the new Salomon Strive 16 binding.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Stronger skiers, this is a powerhouse, a skier’s ski. All mountain two sheets of metal fan boys.
Who is it not for?
Lighter skiers might get jostled around, but no worries, there is a QST for you.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
168, 176, 182, 188
Dimensions
132-96-114
Radius
20m@182cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Ski Weight:
1940g
Binding options
  1. Flat
Last edited by a moderator:

spudbumkin

Booting up
Skier
I haven't mounted any bindings let alone skied them yet, but these skis are the best finished skis I have ever seen. The bases are truly flat and the edges are polished SHARP. The factory that pressed and finished these for Salomon has their quality control processes dialed in!

spudbumkin

Booting up
Skier
I skied the Stance 96 (188cm) today and it was really good. Conditions were warm and the snow was granular and soft. It felt like late March. The 96 is precise and stable. It is not playful, but it does what it is told really quickly. It skis big soft bumps without issue, arcs big gs turns at high rates of speed, and you can bend it into smaller radii turns easily. It actually reminds me of my Brahma 82 (187cm). I am curious as to how it skis on truly hard snow, although I have a feeling it will be fine. I recommend the 96 (188cm) if you are a larger athletic skier who can bend a ski. Levelnine currently has them on sale for less than $400.00.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
For nearly a decade, I have been searching for a replacement for my 98mm wide 185cm Nordica Hell & Back. The first ski I found which was it's equal was the 187cm Augment AM98 (and the identical Van Deer 98). The 182cm Salomon Stance 96 is now the second similar width ski I've found which equals the old Hell & Back's carving ability, rebound energy, crud busting, and mogul bashing chops. Just magnificent! And way better for me than the Peak 98, Stockli SR95, Bonafide, Enforcer 100, etc...

Last edited:

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Well, the new 2024 Stance 96 is dumbed down and no longer as precise, stable, and energetic as the 2022 & 2023 model (Kind of like Laser AX to Montero AX). Lot's of folks may prefer the new lighter, softer, rounder flexing Stance 96, but it is NOT the same ski. Heavier skiers might have to go up a size now.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: BMC

Sponsor