• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Taos Mini-Gathering: February 4th - February 11th, 2023

King Of Cooper

Getting on the lift
Skier
There was a service. Not sure you could call it a shuttle, exactly. I looked into it. Not cheap. It could have been a good option if you were very clear that you were just going to stay up at TSV for the duration, with no need to go "down the hill" for groceries, tourism, restaurants, or whatever. Or maybe if you knew that you were going to meet a buddy with a car, that would enable those activities.

I'm still threatening to splurge on a visit to Ojo Caliente while I'm there this time.
OJo Caliente but go Deeper up Hwy 285 N to “Tres Piedras” Deep in the Thick of the Land of Enchantment,

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you haven't done a Ski Week before, it's been a good deal, and well worth it. You get six 2.5-hour small group lessons - one each morning Sunday through Friday - for a good price. The price for 2023 is still TBD, but was ~$356 including tax last season.
How much for tip? Trying to get my budget squared away for this trip...

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier

Depends on quality. If rotten...0. If excellent 50. If way beyond expectation whatever you can comfortably give.

Last time I was at Ski Week cost was 180. Doubled in 5 years. Yikes.

Reactions: Tex

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You'll get different answers on this question. Obviously, as @Snowfan said, it depends on the quality of your experience. It might also depend on how many are in your group.

Think about the fact that your instructor will be devoting more than half his of her six-day week to you and your class.

I'd say that the $50 figure for a week is on the low side of low. I think last year our class figured that $20 - $25 per day was plausible.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You'll get different answers on this question. Obviously, as @Snowfan said, it depends on the quality of your experience. It might also depend on how many are in your group.

Think about the fact that your instructor will be devoting more than half his of her six-day week to you and your class.

I'd say that the $50 figure for a week is on the low side of low. I think last year our class figured that $20 - $25 per day was plausible.
Thx. Yeah $50 would be less than 15%. I look at tipping like restaurant, 20% is average, go up or down from there based on service level.. $25/day is $150, that is 42% tip, that is a nice tip right there.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thx. Yeah $50 would be less than 15%. I look at tipping like restaurant, 20% is average, go up or down from there based on service level.. $25/day is $150, that is 42% tip, that is a nice tip right there.
Personally... and tipping is of course very personal... I start with $100 for the week as a good midpoint and go up or down from there.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier

Don't forget the instructors don't get paid the $350/for the week the Mt does- Yes, they really appreciate the tips- not mandatory but appreciated, I usually tip 20-25$ day and we try to buy instructor lunch or buy them drinks after skiing.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thx for the tip info, I hate to under tip, I also hate to over tip lol. If I over tip on purpose that is ok, if I over tip on accident because I lack knowledge of what is "customary", that is just dumb... I over tip a lot eating out..

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've reserved a two bedroom/ two bath condo in the town of Taos from 2/3 to 2/12. I'll either have my car or a rental. If anyone is interested in sharing the place, let me know and I can send you the details.
On another note, anyone want to drive across the country from Maine/New England with a stopover in Steamboat to acclimate?

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thx for keeping this thread going. Mulling over lodging options right now. I think I've settled on staying in Taos so I can sleep at lower altitude and enjoy the town and some light social options in the evenings. Seems like just about everything has vacancies right now and the prices are reasonable by ski town standards.

skiace84

Putting on skis
Skier
These dates are a reasonable compromise among conflicting factors:
1) Taos' weather, snow coverage and preservation strongly favor late vs. early season.
2) Many recurring attendees want early season for Ski Week instruction.
3) Avoid date conflict with the national Gathering.

2) appears to be a majority view that Taos should precede the national Gathering.
The two week spacing should be adequate for those still working.

The new second week of February dates probably increase the odds of Kachina being open from perhaps 30% to 70%. Before there was a lift up there, some Taos locals quoted the "70-inch rule" as the necessary base depth for good skiing on the steep and rocky terrain. Kachina being open is a reasonable proxy for that, with a defined date each year that can be tracked over time.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll be really happy if I finally get to ski Taos! I’ve asked for the time off work and have a (cancelable) lodging reservation slopeside. Looked at airfare, but have not booked. I have a family member with a serious health condition, so may have to cancel plans. I should probably change my lodging to one of the more affordable options in Taos.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I’ll be really happy if I finally get to ski Taos! I’ve asked for the time off work and have a (cancelable) lodging reservation slopeside. Looked at airfare, but have not booked. I have a family member with a serious health condition, so may have to cancel plans. I should probably change my lodging to one of the more affordable options in Taos.
Hope you can make it.

scvaughn

Seeking altitude...
Skier
I'm planning to be there. Good call regarding scheduling, conditions are usually awesome by February. Most of the rocks are tucked in for the Winter by then. :roflmao:

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm planning to be there. Good call regarding scheduling, conditions are usually awesome by February. Most of the rocks are tucked in for the Winter by then. :roflmao:
That also gives the staff time to get all of the moguls out of storage and arrayed around the mountain.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I found a good deal on the Hotel Don Fernando which is a Hilton property. No pre-pay and good cancellation policy. Anyone have any beta on this? It looks nice and is right in town. Thinking of pulling the trigger...but wanted to see if anyone has stayed there in the past. Thx!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ sounds good @locknload but ask @aveski about his AirB&B find, 2Bdr, 2 Full Baths, Kitchen for just under $100/night. It's small but appears to be clean and not too outdated. Maybe there are others available in the "condo" complex, which actually looks more like a converted motel, IDK, but @ ~ $100/night, it's probably good enough on a budget ski trip. Especially if you're not big on sharing ski house space with others due to uncertain who knows what holiday Covid variant upticks.

Sponsor

Staff online