• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 Atomic Volant 9000

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Location tested: Vail, Co
Conditions tested in: Nice Chalky Groomers

Philpug: Talk about a blast from the past. Volant started way back in the 1990 season with a full metal topskin, a feature that bucked many design aspects in the industry. Through the years, Volant had many owners, and now is owned by Atomic. For a few years it seemed Atomic didn't know what to do with Volant but they now have a direction, and that is to offer Volant through boutique retailers. This really is appropriate for Volant because these do ski like a very premium brand.

On snow feel of the Volant 9000 is as refined as I remember from earlier generations. What creates that refinement is not only a smoothness not offered by many brands but also a tenacious grip that an extremely torsionally stiff ski can provide. You would think that a ski that has exceptional grip would be uncompromising, but it is not the case with the Volant 9000. That is what a ski with a price tag that is two to three times the average system ski is capable of.

In testing the Volant and having owned more than a dozen pairs over the years, there was a level of confidence that the 9000 provided. Finish is subtle but exceptional, with a small Atomic logo near the sidewall on the left side of the smooth metal topskin. The topskin has a Black Metal Vapor finish and the tech specification on the tail. While these features are more for aesthetics it is the Ultra Power Wood Core and Double Steel Powered interior construction elements and of course the stainless steel topskin that creates the perfect balance of performance and stability which separates the Volant 9000 from the other premium ski offerings.
  • Insider tip: If you are between sizes, you can err to the shorter of the two.
  • One thing I would change: I'd like to see more shape.

Awards
Who is it for?
Those looking for a quiet and smooth carver that stands out.
Who is it not for?
Those with shallow pockets or are frugal.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
150, 155, 160, 165, 170
Dimensions
110.8-70-98 @170cm
Radius
15m@165cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Size Scaling
  1. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Ski Weight:
2505g@165cm
Binding options
  1. System

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug you set me up with some Volant SuperCarve I back in 01 or 02, and I moved to the Machete a few years later. I could lay both those over carving turns. I'd be interested to get that feeling back of the full top cap metal construction, but not $3000 interested. :geek:

Sponsor