• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 Blossom AM77

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug
Size tested: 170, 177
Location tested: Everywhere
Conditions tested in: Everything up to 6-8" of fresh

Please feel free to check out the previous year's reviews, the AM77 is one of the most liked and respected skis in this ore really any segment.

Philpug:
The Blossom AM77 (formally White Out) has an underground following like few skis do. A look into the ski lockers of SkiTalk.com's Colorado testers will reveal more than one pair. Why does that mean anything? Well, because even though these skiers have unlimited access to our test fleet, they chose to spend their own money on a pair of Blossom AM77/White Outs. To me, that says a ton.

On-snow feel is what you would expect from any premium ski: soliId, smooth, and connected. All it takes is a thought and these skis will do whatever you want them to do. If you are looking for an alternative to some of the more popular skis in the premium 80mm class, here is your opportunity. The 131mm tip's turn in on the AM77 is again just sublime, so smooth. Having skied many skis from this factory, nothing suprises me about their performance, just every time I get on them it jsut reassures me how good and accurate these skis are. We talk a lot about numbers with skis and many times I say they can be deceiving but I can say with confidence, when you read Blossom's published numbers, they are exactly what you will experience with their skis.

fa76d523-27e8-407f-b4c2-15da404d23b8-jpeg.154094
Long term update (1/5/22): @Tricia and I had a free day to ski Sun Valley this week and kinda expected a groomer zoomer day to the the Siderals (AM77) shine but it was not to the case, we received 6-8" over night, not the conditions that you woudl grab the AM77 for. I have said more than once, it wasn't too long ago that 77mm underfoot was a powder ski, remember the Volkl SnowRanger? Well, while the Sideral would not have been our first choice today it was our only choice so we made do and the Blossom did not disappoint

Sun Valley was socked in a cloud with snow comign down so it was a ski by braille kind of day and the Sideral held its own, as good as any 77 mm ski could be expected. The red sled with it's Vist Speedlock ate up the cut up snow like John Pinnette at an all you can eat buffet. Nothing fazes this ski. I know there have been quite a few readers and active contributors here that have been extremely satisfied with their AM77's.

JMB: I skied Blossomskis' personal Am77 with Phil and @Blossomski at Mt. Rose, along with the AM74, AM85 and Numero Uno Lady. About me - I’m male, 6’ 0”, 140 lbs, 67 years old. Conditions were ideal for these carvers - gently packed corduroy, temperatures just below freezing and good visibility. All of them are superb skis - calm, fast, stable, strong, precise, predictable, carving machines that do what is asked of them and don’t surprise you. All of them urge you to go fast but handle the speed beautifully and fully support you controlling that speed. Each of them is a very different beast and each of them left consistently had me grinning ear to ear. But the Whiteout stood out as my favorite among them.

BTaylor: I got AM77s during Blossom's pre-season deal on SkiTalk and mounted them with Look Pivots, rather than Vist Speedlocks. I have Stockli AX for pure carving days and I wanted more versaltility than the AXs offer for soft and deeper conditions. Anyway, I just like the low stack height and flex feel of Pivots and have them on several other skis.

We got about 6" of freshies this afternoon at Breck on top of a soft base. I was with my Saturday Ski Club group and a favorite Level 3 instructor/examiner, most of the day spent on bump runs on Peak 8 and 9. Although I had by far the narrowest waist ski in the group today, the Blossoms were a hoot in these soft moguls: side slipping, quick pivot turns, brushed carves, the AM77s were a dream. Not just for carving!

Andy Mink: I spent a glorious sunny day at Mt. Rose on my personal AM77/Siderals in a 177 with the Vist Speedlock Pro plate. Conditions at Rose have been pretty consistent after the big December dump: chalky with wind effect, especially in the trees, groomers with sugar and scraped pow, and bumps of various conditions. The Blossoms just handle everything with aplomb. I have a hard time remembering a ski that I enjoy so much on the groomers making numerous different shaped turns, from long S turns to pretty tight C-ish turns. On the hard snow (there was one section that was insanely hard chalk, like the kind that doesn't scrape off) I was very pleased with the bite, even with a 1/2 edge. Looking at my line from the lift I could see where the ski was chattering in the turn but I never felt like it was going to let go. Just a fun, easy ski that will say, "Is that all you have" and deliver when you say OK.
  • Insider tip I: Take advantage of the very good Vist Speedlock binding system. It does enhance the ski’s hard-snow performance.
  • Insider tip II: We like this ski so much, we commissioned Blossom to do a SkiTalk Edizione Speciale Sideral, a hommage to the old Spalding model of the same name.
@mulva28: We've had some Spring conditions on New Year's weekend here in Killington. Conditions were April-like today and very good. Slushy and soft and starting to get bumped up on the man-made groomed trails the past 2 mornings. I LOVED my AM77 for these conditions! Perfectly round turns from short-medium to medium. Carving slush on a firm base, total control of turn shape and speed through the busy New Years weekend crowd. Slushy bumps were no problem. Had some big VW bumps down a run today and they were handled really well. You can get pretty aggressive in big bumps with the softer tips and shovels.

I just had a great couple of days where I felt this ski was perfect. I didn't really expect to these skis to excel in Spring-like conditions but I just had 2 days where every run felt great, perfect in soft, slushy conditions. Sometimes this ski just has these perfect days where I feel like I just might like it more than my all-time favorite No1 RC. It's so close but the No1 RC still has a few more perfect ski for the day, days. The flex/shape of both my Blossom skis just feels perfect so much of the time.

Long Term Update (2/12/23): The more I ski it, the more I like it. Had them out the past 2 days at Killington VT. Conditions were anywhere from firm but edgeable; to top to bottom snowmaking on their premier bump trail Outer Limits and WC trail Superstar. The AM77 was the perfect ski for both days. Many laps on Superstar which had 70-80 guns online. Top section steep with nicely formed bumps, middle section lower angle with piles of pushed around snow and lower section steep with bumps over an icy World Cup water injected surface. The AM77 was buttery smooth and nimble through the top 2/3's. The slide and slam bumps on the last (steep) pitch required more patience and finesse in order to make them not as slide-y and slam-y; but the AM77 handled these better than my Enforcer 88 would. I was able to carve the icy troughs and turn on the backsides of the bumps. I'm starting to figure out this high 70's underfoot All Mountain ski category and I like it.​

Awards
Who is it for?
All but the strongest skiers, the AM77 has a huge sweet spot
Who is it not for?
Maybe someone who can’t get past the name Blossom?
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Trees
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
158, 164, 170, 176, 182
Dimensions
131-77-111
Radius
14m@170cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System
  3. Plate

BullMcCabe

Booting up
Skier
Input needed on 176 or 182 in AM77. 6’2”, 210lbs. advanced. Strong technical skier, carve tip to tail but more finesse than pure power. Usually like low to mid 180’s, but skied the Kore 93 in 177 last season and surprisingly liked it. That was shortest I’ve ever skied. Leaning towards 176, but don’t want it feeling short. Input appreciated.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Input needed on 176 or 182 in AM77. 6’2”, 210lbs. advanced. Strong technical skier, carve tip to tail but more finesse than pure power. Usually like low to mid 180’s, but skied the Kore 93 in 177 last season and surprisingly liked it. That was shortest I’ve ever skied. Leaning towards 176, but don’t want it feeling short. Input appreciated.
I'm 5'10" and about 220. I ski the 176. For me, the longer ski would be too much, especially with the longer turn radius. The Kore has some tip and, I believe, tail rise so it will ski a bit shorter than its length would suggest. The Blossom has very little rise and skis its full length. Unless you want a bit longer radius (>16 as opposed to >15) I'd go with the 176.

HOWEVER...If you're not going to put a plate binding on it, like the Vist system, I may go with the 182. It'll be a bit softer.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 5'10" and about 220. I ski the 176. For me, the longer ski would be too much, especially with the longer turn radius. The Kore has some tip and, I believe, tail rise so it will ski a bit shorter than its length would suggest. The Blossom has very little rise and skis its full length. Unless you want a bit longer radius (>16 as opposed to >15) I'd go with the 176.

HOWEVER...If you're not going to put a plate binding on it, like the Vist system, I may go with the 182. It'll be a bit softer.
I'll agree with all of this... 6'0", ~210 lbs (when I got mine), and loved them right away. Mine are on the Vist plate, and I don't think they're particularly stiff. I'm a bit lighter now, but still really like them in all kinds of mixed conditions.

BullMcCabe

Booting up
Skier
Thanks very much. I am leaning towards the 176. But, just liked into a pair of the Blossom Whiteouts (same as AM 77) in 182 with Vist (not sure which one). Got them for $220 & maybe 25 days on them. Bases are great. Will ski these & then decide if going for 176. May even be tempted to have both-new 176 & used 182. Will update with my results later.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I'll agree with all of this... 6'0", ~210 lbs (when I got mine), and loved them right away. Mine are on the Vist plate, and I don't think they're particularly stiff. I'm a bit lighter now, but still really like them in all kinds of mixed conditions.
The ski has relatively softer tips/shovels and gets stiffer mid-body and then softens up again in the tails. It's a wonderful all-mountain flex profile. Perfectly round turns on groomers. The softer tips/shovels and little bit of a turned up tail feel great in bumps once you get used to those wide tips. I like the ski around forehead/top of head height for Vermont/New England skiers. Need to find a new source for these skis as I'm a huge fan of this one, the AM 85 and most of all the Numero Uno RC.

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Still love my 182 white outs with vist. They can ski anywhere on the hill, but have an afilnty for fall line short to medium turns, on groomed runs, bumps, and chalky off piste. Lots of fun

einholen

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I thought I was buying a Montero AX, but this forum (thanks y'all!) is making me want to reconsider - I started thinking about Montero AS first, and then about AM77.

How do the 3 compare? I imagine the Blossoms are the most versatile of the three while Stocklis have a silkier/smoother ride, but they are all similar in stiffness and difference is miniscule overall? Which one has better edge hold / would be better for working on those higher edge angles?

As an "intermediate with a strong skill set", what I loved about the AX is that they remind me to stay centered over the ski, so I expect to be able to really improve with them - would you say the AM77 is similar in that regard?

(I understand an even thinner ski would likely be even better but I don't know if I'll notice a difference coming from a pair of 94mm-waisted Rustler 9s)

Last edited:

BullMcCabe

Booting up
Skier
The ski has relatively softer tips/shovels and gets stiffer mid-body and then softens up again in the tails. It's a wonderful all-mountain flex profile. Perfectly round turns on groomers. The softer tips/shovels and little bit of a turned up tail feel great in bumps once you get used to those wide tips. I like the ski around forehead/top of head height for Vermont/New England skiers. Need to find a new source for these skis as I'm a huge fan of this one, the AM 85 and most of all the Numero Uno RC.
Day 1 on AM77 in 182 at June Mtn. and completely agree with your assessment. They skied exactly how you described. Silky smooth too in a couple of inches of fresh & also dust on crust. Put Tyrolia Protector 13 GW bindings on them. Really liked them. Stack height and weight not as bad as I thought. Delta was perfect for me. No releases, but I just didn’t “notice” them all day. Also had same binding on NOS Nordica Soul Rider 87 at Mammoth the next day, and same solid, good feeling on the binding.

Marty84

Skier
Great content on your site! The previous model review started from advanced lvl recommendation. Any reason this one is starting for intermediates? I’m an intermediate (lvl5-6) skier. Mostly riding groomers. Easily handle blues and mostly comfortable on less technical reds (in Austria). Would this be an option for me? Other ones I’m considering are the Salomon s/max 10, Elan Wingman 82ti or Rossi Experience Basalt.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Are the Blossom's being marketed in the U.S. Again?
Are you guys going to make me spend some money?

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
Great content on your site! The previous model review started from advanced lvl recommendation. Any reason this one is starting for intermediates? I’m an intermediate (lvl5-6) skier. Mostly riding groomers. Easily handle blues and mostly comfortable on less technical reds (in Austria). Would this be an option for me? Other ones I’m considering are the Salomon s/max 10, Elan Wingman 82ti or Rossi Experience Basalt.
The AM77 is not a difficult ski and as long as you as skiing nicely parallel and are at least planning to properly carve some turns I think you would be fine with them. They have no (appreciable) rocker so they ski their full length (bear that in mind when comparing against rocketed skis). I would also consider the Lusti MP77 which is a very similar ski to the AM77 but a little softer flexing and more forgiving (I would steer clear of the Lusti PC77 which is noticeably stiffer / stronger than the Blossom). The Lusti is very good value and something you could get hold of in the Netherlands. The Blossom is beautifully manufactured and the more pricey option. I would recommend the VIST Speedcom which is standard on the Lusti. I have a suspicion (based on some pics in instagram) the Blossom might be fitting Tyrolia bindings (rather than their long term relationship with VIST) for next year. I would heartily recommend the Protector 13 on the AM77. This would also be a great binding for the Lusti but you would need to buy flat and mount separately which would increase the cost. Hope that is helpful.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Other ones I’m considering are the Salomon s/max 10, Elan Wingman 82ti or Rossi Experience Basalt.
I own an AM77, and used to own the Wingman 82Ti, and have skied the Rossi for a few days. I haven't skied the Salomon.

I like the AM77 by far the most out of the three... though the other two are very good skis. You can't go wrong really, but I think the AM77 is easier to control your turn shape with, and has better edge hold than the other two. It helps smooth things out more.

Marty84

Skier
The AM77 is not a difficult ski and as long as you as skiing nicely parallel and are at least planning to properly carve some turns I think you would be fine with them. They have no (appreciable) rocker so they ski their full length (bear that in mind when comparing against rocketed skis). I would also consider the Lusti MP77 which is a very similar ski to the AM77 but a little softer flexing and more forgiving (I would steer clear of the Lusti PC77 which is noticeably stiffer / stronger than the Blossom). The Lusti is very good value and something you could get hold of in the Netherlands. The Blossom is beautifully manufactured and the more pricey option. I would recommend the VIST Speedcom which is standard on the Lusti. I have a suspicion (based on some pics in instagram) the Blossom might be fitting Tyrolia bindings (rather than their long term relationship with VIST) for next year. I would heartily recommend the Protector 13 on the AM77. This would also be a great binding for the Lusti but you would need to buy flat and mount separately which would increase the cost. Hope that is helpful.
Thank you! I found a Lusti at 177cm, but that might be a bit too long? I’m 6’1, or 186cm. They do have the MP74 in 171cm.

Marty84

Skier
I own an AM77, and used to own the Wingman 82Ti, and have skied the Rossi for a few days. I haven't skied the Salomon.

I like the AM77 by far the most out of the three... though the other two are very good skis. You can't go wrong really, but I think the AM77 is easier to control your turn shape with, and has better edge hold than the other two. It helps smooth things out more.
Very helpful, thanks! What length do you have them? Shorter compared to the Elan?

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
Very helpful, thanks! What length do you have them? Shorter compared to the Elan?
Hi, I am 178 tall and have the 177 PC version. I think the 177 MP is probably the right size for you and the 15m radius is quite a nice mid-turn size radius. The 170 is the next size down and has about a 14m radius. It is fine but I think you might find the 177 better/less twitchy. The 74 is quite a different ski. Not just narrower but it has a longer turn radius. I haven’t skied it so can’t really comment. I would say that 77mm is a very good “any on piste conditions” width IMO. Anyone else care to comment on whether the MP77 in a 177 would be too much ski?

Marty84

Skier
Hi, I am 178 tall and have the 177 PC version. I think the 177 MP is probably the right size for you and the 15m radius is quite a nice mid-turn size radius. The 170 is the next size down and has about a 14m radius. It is fine but I think you might find the 177 better/less twitchy. The 74 is quite a different ski. Not just narrower but it has a longer turn radius. I haven’t skied it so can’t really comment. I would say that 77mm is a very good “any on piste conditions” width IMO. Anyone else care to comment on whether the MP77 in a 177 would be too much ski?
Thanks again. I found an offer for the MP at €552, which seems a fair price. Still, the brand seemingly barely shows up at webshops. The Blossom AM is on sale for a little over €700.

Last question: I used to ride the Rossignol Experience 84HD. Any idea how the MP77 compares to those ski’s?

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
Thank you! I found a Lusti at 177cm, but that might be a bit too long? I’m 6’1, or 186cm. They do have the MP74 in

Thanks again. I found an offer for the MP at €552, which seems a fair price. Still, the brand seemingly barely shows up at webshops. The Blossom AM is on sale for a little over €700.

Last question: I used to ride the Rossignol Experience 84HD. Any idea how the MP77 compares to those ski’s?
Lusti mainly sell direct to consumer from their factory in Czechia (some dealers there I believe and maybe one in Switzerland). That seems like a good price for the Blossom skis and I would be tempted to go that way if you are choosing between the two tbh. I haven’t ridden the Rossis so can’t comment, sorry.

Sponsor