• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 East Coast Pugski/Renoun Gathering for the Eclipse. Dates: TBD

Where to go?

• Jay Peak

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Sugarloaf

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Stowe

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Smugglers Notch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tuckermans

• Whiteface

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Out There
Instructor
I know a guy that says welding goggles will work if you can't get the right glasses. I don't know if it is correct but it might work.
Might-

—————————-/

Are Welding Filters Safe for Solar Viewing?​

The ISO 12312-2 standard was based, in part, on decades of experience using welding filters for observing the Sun. A welding filter with a shade number of 12 or higher transmits a safely tiny percentage of the Sun's light across the spectrum, whether made of tempered glass or metal-coated polycarbonate. Most observers find the view through a shade 12 welding filter uncomfortably bright and the view through a shade 15 or higher-numbered welding filter unattractively dark. The "sweet spot" is shade 13 or 14, which best matches the view in purpose-made eclipse glasses and handheld solar viewers, except that the image is green rather than yellow-orange or white. Shade 13 and 14 welding filters are rarely stocked in welders' supply stores, though, so you'll probably have better luck finding them by shopping online. Two good sources of shade 14 welding filters are safesolarviewing.com and Phillips Safety Products.

You should not use adjustable and/or auto-darkening welding helmets or similar products to view the Sun. Many don't go as dark as shade 13 or 14, and even those that do post a grave risk to your eyesight, either because you accidentally adjust them to an unsafe setting or because they don't auto-darken fast enough when you look at the Sun with them.
————————-

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yes back then I was working with someone who was a trade welder, had good goggles for ARC and MIG. Used those.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Man the eclipse hype is unreal. I was in the path of totality of the 2017 one on the west coast and wouldn't say it was worth all the fuss. Good luck to everyone planning to hit the resorts the day of, they'll be PACKED. I believe you should expect to pay parking fees.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Certain welding goggles, yes. Not the auto-darkening kind. And seconding the DO NOT order any critical safety equipment from Amazon (or Walmart online for that matter). For the northeast yes B&H will get to you in about 2 days. FedEx misdelivered mine and they overnighted the replacement.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Man the eclipse hype is unreal. I was in the path of totality of the 2017 one on the west coast and wouldn't say it was worth all the fuss. Good luck to everyone planning to hit the resorts the day of, they'll be PACKED. I believe you should expect to pay parking fees.

Funny, I saw the total in 2017 and had the exact opposite reaction. Totality was one of the most surreal, unbelievable things I've ever seen. I'm a 13 hr drive from totality this time (without traffic!) and I don't think I'll make the trek, but anything up to 7 or 8 hours or so and I do think I'd just drive east and sleep in the car. Absolutely crazy thing to experience in person.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Funny, I saw the total in 2017 and had the exact opposite reaction. Totality was one of the most surreal, unbelievable things I've ever seen. I'm a 13 hr drive from totality this time (without traffic!) and I don't think I'll make the trek, but anything up to 7 or 8 hours or so and I do think I'd just drive east and sleep in the car. Absolutely crazy thing to experience in person.
I mean it was eerie, but I wouldn't go as far as surreal. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Certain welding goggles, yes. Not the auto-darkening kind. And seconding the DO NOT order any critical safety equipment from Amazon (or Walmart online for that matter). For the northeast yes B&H will get to you in about 2 days. FedEx misdelivered mine and they overnighted the replacement.
I'd second the comment by @zircon and @James.

Unless you know the seller on Amazon or third partied on Walmart, and can trust their not selling some cheap knock off, best not to especially given the price from a trusted source is not horrible.

I got mine via solar.org who stated they're all stateside make and certified (though I didn't double check) but the ".org" has been around for a long time and pricing .. $2.50 to $3 ish each .. not bad considering total cost and ones eyeballs.

likewise as James noted: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/202...ng-for-the-eclipse-dates-tbd.5704/post-979290

anyhow, soapboxing I know I've bought a few items that were suspect which I did report to Amazon, they did take it seriously.

James

Out There
Instructor
Why not the auto-darkening lens?
Eye damage can occur very quickly. @DebbieSue could tell you.

From the American Astronomical Society-
—————-
You should not use adjustable and/or auto-darkening welding helmets or similar products to view the Sun. Many don't go as dark as shade 13 or 14, and even those that do post a grave risk to your eyesight, either because you accidentally adjust them to an unsafe setting or because they don't auto-darken fast enough when you look at the Sun with them.
———————

The link @pete posted above has sources listed by the aas.
You can go as low as $1 in bulk, but commonly $2-2.50

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
The flight from Vancouver to Durango Mexico takes about the same time our drive from Vancouver to Madras Oregon did for the last one.
I can't ski at the moment anyway. (broken ribs)

If you can't see it because of cloud cover or are not within the narrow band of totality it wont be much of an event.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Eye damage can occur very quickly. @DebbieSue could tell you.

From the American Astronomical Society-
—————-
———————

The link @pete posted above has sources listed by the aas.
You can go as low as $1 in bulk, but commonly $2-2.50
Also, there is no symptom like pain or glare or light sensitivity when the damage is happening. The consequences appear later. The result is a very small but very critical blind spot in the very center of the viewing eye’s/eyes’ visual field(s). Don’t chance it.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's a pretty good summary of my attitude toward my fellow humans that I have not the slightest hesitation in turning down the opportunity to witness a moving natural phenomenon if it means avoiding a scene. If I had been old enough to attend Woodstock I wouldn't have gone for a million dollars.

James

Out There
Instructor
If I had been old enough to attend Woodstock I wouldn't have gone for a million dollars.
How about Watkins Glen 1973?
More people there but not quite so chaotic.

Surely you can go to some field, skate ski around, then watch the eclipse.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Initial forecast actually looking pretty good for VT. We'll see if it holds...

Sponsor