• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 Peak 104 By Bode

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia
Size tested: 168
Location tested: Mt Rose, Brighton, Palisades Tahoe, Big Sky, Deer Valley
Conditions tested: Mostly powder days with the occasional mixed, cut up crud

This is one of those seasons when there were several wider skis being showcased, and Mother Nature was serving up ideal conditions to put them through their paces. As luck would have it, a series of storms were in the forecast right about the time the Peak 104 showed up at our doorstep. Timing couldn't have been better!

I had been skiing the Peak 88 for several months so I had an inkling what I should expect from the 104, but that inkling was quickly squashed. In fact, I found the Peak 104 to be the most balanced ski from the Peak line up. This could be the part where I throw out the buzz like Keyhole Technology™, and we could talk about the theory about published turn radii, and though it sure seems to work, none of it matters as much as how this beauty performs.

Back to the storm cycle, we seemed to have them lined up all winter long. The snow density varied from fluffy cold smoke, to heavier Sierra powder. This is where the balance I talked about earlier really came through. It had this great float, charged through the heavier conditions, turned quicker than I'd expected from a 104 and followed through with beautiful tail release. As you know, true untracked powder only lasts so long, which is when you really need your powder tools to transition to chopped up crud. This is yet another area where the Peak 104 showed another side to its personality with a confident power that I almost didn't expect from the same ski that was so nimble and playful in the powder and trees. It could be the Keyhole Technology™ or it could be the fairy dust, but this ski just kills it in so many areas.

When on a trip to Big Sky for a work week, I took the Peak 104 as my daily driver, with a confidence that it would do whatever I needed it to do without question. While there I was skiing with @Winks, so when I had to leave the slopes to get on my work duties, I let him take the Peak 104 for a spin. He quickly texted me to say I wasn't getting them back. See his review for his full thoughts.
I know Winks would like to see a twin tip version of this ski, but in Bode Miller's words, "If you're skiing backwards, something is going horribly wrong"

Insider tip: I bet this ski would look great with a Pivot Raw.

Tester: Winks
Size tested: 168
Location tested: Big Sky, Montana
Conditions tested in: 6 lovely days of Fresh, soft, chop, groomed snow

I have struggled to write this review for a while because every time I start to type my hands start getting all excited and then something like this happens (NIqfenagfinasgfbsen;fniesnfien BUY NOW!! ) Okay now that we have that out there, let's begin.

As many of you probably know I am the young guy on the team, which means I prefer skis that are soft, center mounted and twin tipped. Most people don't know that I can and do often ski regular skis with flatter tails and can actually make a turn here and there, but enough about me, onto the Peak Skis! I loved these things so much, so much so that I attempted to smuggle them out of Palace De Pug but I was caught by armed security guard dog Gypsy. These skis lit my world up in the 6 days I had them; Tricia did not get a chance to get them back from me.

The flex, mount point, edge hold and release on these skis worked so well. Bode and his team absolutely nailed it with the 104, this ski is a easy contender for a west coast one ski quiver. In fresh snow they have just enough tip rise to help with floatation and are not overly stiff that you cannot feel any of the fluff underneath your feet. Through the chop and crud they absorb almost anything, stiff enough to bash but not get deflected. Bode put it all quite well when talking about the development of skis, as long as you are well balanced on the skis the rest really doesn't matter. I am excited to see what else comes from Peak and I really cannot do these skis enough justice in this review other than to say, try them for yourself, it's phenomenal.

• One thing I would change: Maybe make a twin tip version. :roflmao:
For more Peak Skis reviews from our other readers, please check out the Never ending Peak Skis Discussion

Awards
Who is it for?
More technical skiers, focused skiers will get the most out of these. If you are sliding them around without much care they might feel like any other ski. A lighter person looking for a capable powder ski that transitions to different conditions.
Who is it not for?
Those that like skis mounted a little further back, they feel a bit forward for your flat tail all mountain ski. Someone who sticks to groomers only.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
  4. Trees
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
160, 168, 178, 184
Dimensions
134/104/122 @178cm
Radius
25m@178cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. New graphics
  2. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
Last edited by a moderator:

miatamarty

Getting on the lift
Skier
Last season I bought 88's at 184 and 104's at 178cm because of their 2 for 1 sale. At the beginning of the season I was mostly on the 88's .I was coming off of Kastle MX83. The 88's were a marvelous groomer ski. Would make any kind of turn but you did have to get involved. By the end of the season I was almost always on the 104's. They were so much fun. It was like they were reading my mind kinda like my yellow lab who is always up for fun and games. All my skiing las season at Bachelor. Did get one day in at a tiny resort called Warner Canyon where the 104's just killed it. They didn't make one wrong move.

Last edited:

AlexisLD

Getting off the lift
Skier
Apparently the 104 is a burly race ski. Who knew? (@AlexisLD , I think something went off the rails here...)

View attachment 220097

No, not quite.

You shouldn't compare 165 cm long skis with a 184 ski. You shouldn't also compare SL skis with big-mountain powder skis.

I am more than 100% sure about these measurements because we did it at Peak's request to confirm that their keyhole tech was showing up on our graphs. It is a pretty good test of our extra-fine spatial resolution. You can see the dip in EI/GJ just in front of the toes... They are really doing something to their skis, it is not just marketing like many other things.

If you compare the Peak 104 to more similar skis, you will see that they are not extra burly. You can also use the "how your skis compare" section to see how it compares to other similar skis. I would say that both bending and torsional stiffnesses are around the 60th percentile.

FYI, downhill racing skis go up to 1200-1400 Nm^2 in bending stiffness. That is 2-3 times more than anything we ever measured in the consumer market...

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, not quite.

You shouldn't compare 165 cm long skis with a 184 ski. You shouldn't also compare SL skis with big-mountain powder skis.

I am more than 100% sure about these measurements because we did it at Peak's request to confirm that their keyhole tech was showing up on our graphs. It is a pretty good test of our extra-fine spatial resolution. You can see the dip in EI/GJ just in front of the toes... They are really doing something to their skis, it is not just marketing like many other things.

If you compare the Peak 104 to more similar skis, you will see that they are not extra burly. You can also use the "how your skis compare" section to see how it compares to other similar skis. I would say that both bending and torsional stiffnesses are around the 60th percentile.

FYI, downhill racing skis go up to 1200-1400 Nm^2 in bending stiffness. That is 2-3 times more than anything we ever measured in the consumer market...
Very cool! Thanks for the explanation.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

What other skis have you seen that exhibit a similar profile? I'm finding I prefer skis with stiffer than average mid body and a softer than average tip: S/Force, Ogasakas, and I suspect Laser SX and Montero AS.

AlexisLD

Getting off the lift
Skier
What other skis have you seen that exhibit a similar profile? I'm finding I prefer skis with stiffer than average mid body and a softer than average tip: S/Force, Ogasakas, and I suspect Laser SX and Montero AS.

Sorry, not on top of my head. I think I saw some park skis like that... stiff center and very soft tips.

I have a bunch of measurements from Stoeckli that I need to add. Coming soon.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, not quite.

You're right. I wouldn't have thought so just hand flexing. I got rid of my eRace Pros, but did a Q9.8 to P104 mid body flex test and they felt very similar.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 9.47.34 AM.png
IMG_2939.jpeg

Ogasaka's on the other hand, noticeably stiffer. The TC-SUs are an iron beam.

IMG_2940.jpeg
IMG_2941.jpeg

Sponsor