• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 What Are You Doing To The Bike This Year??

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My 2017 Niner RLT 9, is a 15mm x 100 rigid, but you are talking a rigid boost mtb fork....so Im only kinda in that playground.

I have thought 15x100 made total sense for road/CX disc... but nvm - fashion.

Or just hit the easy button and swap in a 31.8 handlebar...but I finally got these bars dialed to how I like them.

IMO Part of the point of this thread is to stick to what you want.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lime green for my red bike!

My motto -- which you are welcome to adopt -- it to drive, rather than follow, fashion!

I mean, it's a challenge, right??

Dang, Scott, that looks "bigger" than the Spring Classics!

Trek made/makes one but I don't want to pay for new.

Down to 80 now, and seemingly never in stock.

Install Redshift suspension stem I bought over a year a go but just found when I unpacked from moving

I love mine. Note that it felt really weird for the first 20 minutes or so.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Dang, Scott, that looks "bigger" than the Spring Classics!
It was somewhat unpleasant. Honestly it was the worst conditions I've ridden in. The last fun ride like that was a MTB TT in April through a snowy muskeg disaster. Terrible..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was somewhat unpleasant. Honestly it was the worst conditions I've ridden in. The last fun ride like that was a MTB TT in April through a snowy muskeg disaster. Terrible..

We've all got one. For me it was the 2012 Cascade Cream Puff 100 mile mtb race, which has become known as the Mud Puff. Just horrid. I bet my bike weighed close to 40 pounds by the first aid station. Pure misery. No way a race like that could happen today, with the more intelligent approach to trail damage mitigation.

When people say "but I bet you're glad you finished", I respond by saying "nope, I still wish I'd quit". I've had a HUGE aversion to any level of mud riding ever since.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I bet my bike weighed close to 40 pounds by the first aid station. Pure misery.

Get yourself a nice 40lb gas pipe frame and train with it year-round? :duck:

1703184309731.png

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
We've all got one. For me it was the 2012 Cascade Cream Puff 100 mile mtb race, which has become known as the Mud Puff. Just horrid. I bet my bike weighed close to 40 pounds by the first aid station. Pure misery. No way a race like that could happen today, with the more intelligent approach to trail damage mitigation.

When people say "but I bet you're glad you finished", I respond by saying "nope, I still wish I'd quit". I've had a HUGE aversion to any level of mud riding ever since.
I tried to shoulder my bike and walk at one point once the wheels wouldn't turn because of the mud. I couldn't actually lift it.. so it just became a poor sled.... I would guess 60lbs..

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Back on topic .....
My spine surgeon, a rider himself, thinks my frame (Pinarello Dogma-from the long-lamented magnesium era) is too rigid and unforgiving for my newly repaired back, so he wrote a prescription for a new titanium frame. I imagine I'll get that "prescription" filled in 2024.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back on topic .....
My spine surgeon, a rider himself, thinks my frame (Pinarello Dogma-from the long-lamented magnesium era) is too rigid and unforgiving for my newly repaired back, so he wrote a prescription for a new titanium frame. I imagine I'll get that "prescription" filled in 2024.

Just out of curiosity-why not steel?

Guess you will also consider different geo than the Dogma…as in, a lot different..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I mean, if you have the dough, wouldn't you do Ti every time? I would..

Personally, no interest whatsoever in ti frames. I've broken two (yes, long ago), and though I've only taken spins of four or five since, they all had that nice ti ride, but the tradeoff was crap snap when you stood up and put the whip to it.

Caveat: I'm not small or weak. When I was really in it to win it, my racing weight was 192.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I mean, if you have the dough, wouldn't you do Ti every time? I would..

That’s a tough one. I love both.Ti looks fantastic, doesn’t rust etc On the other hand tho some of my dream bikes are artisan steel frames from Officina Battaglin and Dario Pegoretti. Tough one.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That’s a tough one. I love both.Ti looks fantastic, doesn’t rust etc On the other hand tho some of my dream bikes are artisan steel frames from Officina Battaglin and Dario Pegoretti. Tough one.

Good excuse for the poster to come see a bike show. I agree that flex-wise steel is probably more adaptable than Ti, but :huh: on the poster's preferences.

Philly is in March; Portland OR is in August.

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun! So many fantastic framesets to choose from in that arena. From near-budget to shoot-the-moon.

As a rider of a titanium bike on the higher end of that spectrum, I approve! They're an investment but they will last and last.

Sponsor

Staff online