• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2025 New England Gathering discussion

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
It was so bad this past MONDAY that Kevin turned around and went home.
Parking lots looked bad but there weren’t really big lines. Quad line only had two lanes so it looked long. Also it was mostly locals who left by ten so it got really quiet after that.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was so bad this past MONDAY that Kevin turned around and went home.
Any mtn can be a mob scene on any given day (generally speaking). I don't ski there very often, so Kevin or Erik would have the experience. Not disputing that it could be a shit show, but let's not over-react either.

I almost went to LeMassif on Monday afternoon after this years NEG, was initially planning on it, but decided that due to lack of snow would be better to go another year. Put me down for a MSA / LeMassif NEG if that wins the contest. I will be going there at some point in the future either way. I had a good time at Tremblant in the past too, but it looks like it would really get crowded on weekends will all those condo's. At least lodging would be easy and the food was really good too.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
As much as I would like to entertain getting to the NEG next year, coming from way south I would have to consider a flight to get me into the near vicinity. The closer to Boston, the better. Flights are reasonably cheap from RDU.

And Johnny V. can meet JohnnyVW :roflmao:

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
As much as I would like to entertain getting to the NEG next year, coming from way south I would have to consider a flight to get me into the near vicinity. The closer to Boston, the better. Flights are reasonably cheap from RDU.

I used to fly direct from RDU to BDL for skiing. Quicker easier drive to most of VT.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stowe in Jan and Feb weekends is where the bad rep comes from, and probably deserved. Kevin or Erik could comment from experience. In late March and especially a week day, I feel its a non-issue. Kevin's thoughts of different area's on different days appeals to me a lot, as all of them are very good mtn's to sk. I joined the Central Jersey Ski Club this year and its kind of an "Youth mature Hostel" that is not bad, and is very convenient to all those mtn's. Its not the Estrimont Resort in Magoog Canada, but the price is right and the members are nice.
I'm getting old so maybe I;m forgetting. I'm a longtime member of CJSC and am up there most weekends along with @Michael V but I don't know if we've met. The club lodge is not fancy and definitely not for everybody, but it's clean and in between Killington and Sugarbush so it works well with an Ikon pass. Also some good people there if I do say so myself:ogbiggrin:

I look at the webcams at K, Sugarbush and Stratton 5x a day while on boring meetings at work during the week and I don't think I've seen any crowds that would preclude any place on a weekday.

Gregg

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier

The last two years I’ve driven up to Vermont, but I do stop to visit a childhood friend in NJ to split it up. Both years my wife flew into Albany and I pick her up on the way. Then two years ago I dropped her off to fly home from Burlington. This year she rode home with me.

But let’s keep in touch for next year as I might be able to serve as a shuttle service/ski limo….:)

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Biggest problem with the other aiports mentioned is there are no direct flights. And in some cases more than twice the price. And the drive from Boston is pretty much the shortest of any airport. The main advantage of driving myself is I still have my set of Blizzaks...in case we get lucky LOL. But having done the 10 hour drive from NE PA down to RDU maybe 20 times during our transition, I would need a day to decompress. And hope my neck doesnt bother me too much

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm getting old so maybe I;m forgetting. I'm a longtime member of CJSC and am up there most weekends along with @Michael V but I don't know if we've met. The club lodge is not fancy and definitely not for everybody, but it's clean

Gregg
I have only been once and we have not met. I do know about your smelly helmet, though. I might have PM'd you about the club. I plan to ski the superstar glacier, so might be at the lodge again this season

James

Out There
Instructor
We have. It’s too far for the benefit so far.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No one's thought of invading New York yet, I see.
Well what areas besides Gore and Whiteface?
I mentioned Gore and Whiteface earlier in the thread, but given the lack of hotels/restaurants around Gore and the fact that they're an hour and a half apart kind of takes them out of the running.

Years ago in the EPIC days we had a one day gathering at Holimont, but while it's a nice little hill, nobody is going to drive from NE to get there. True of any of the other places in NY-we've got a lot, but nothing like NE other than Gore and Whiteface.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I mentioned Gore and Whiteface earlier in the thread, but given the lack of hotels/restaurants around Gore and the fact that they're an hour and a half apart kind of takes them out of the running.

Years ago in the EPIC days we had a one day gathering at Holimont, but while it's a nice little hill, nobody is going to drive from NE to get there. True of any of the other places in NY-we've got a lot, but nothing like NE other than Gore and Whiteface.
Would just doing Whiteface for multiple days be acceptable? It's pretty big, right? The NEG doesn't have to be multiple mountains - it was only Killington a couple of years ago.

scott43

Skier
Would just doing Whiteface for multiple days be acceptable? It's pretty big, right? The NEG doesn't have to be multiple mountains - it was only Killington a couple of years ago.
Whiteface is high but not very big, especially if it's a poor snow year and Lookout side is closed. Or the summit chair. We typically stayed for four or five days but it can begin to get monotonous depending on your expectations. Lake Placid is nice though.

James

Out There
Instructor
And people complained about the conditions.
Whiteface would be a mass exodus if it was sub par.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Whiteface would be a mass exodus if it was sub par.
How do we define sub-par for late season New England? Killington was half closed, slushy, icy, and had grass patches all over the place. We also had something of a mini-powder morning one day, so a very mixed bag. I think everyone had a great time. Was that not sub-par?

Sponsor

Staff online