• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

21.5 Womens ski boot

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
My 14 year old daughter has a very small foot and is relatively short. However, she has now reached her skeletal maturity and will not be growing anymore. She measures in at 21.5. She has been wearing a 21.5 kids ski boot, however as she has matured her calf and ankle have become more muscular and larger. Her ankle and calf no longer fit the kids 21.5 boot. We live in Toronto. I have been working with and talking to 2 different boot fitters here from both Sporting Life (Wes) and Skis and Bikes (Chris). I have been led to understand that junior race and women's boots are not imported into Canada in sizes smaller than 22.5. Apparently, if we took a trip to Japan, we would have no problems finding a 21.5. The best solutions we have come across have been to put her into a 22.5 boot that provides a good ankle hold and appropriate width and try to forget about the extra length. Is this a reasonable solution? Those of you who work on the retail side, have you come across women's boots in 21.5 in North America?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My 14 year old daughter has a very small foot and is relatively short. However, she has now reached her skeletal maturity and will not be growing anymore. She measures in at 21.5. She has been wearing a 21.5 kids ski boot, however as she has matured her calf and ankle have become more muscular and larger. Her ankle and calf no longer fit the kids 21.5 boot. We live in Toronto. I have been working with and talking to 2 different boot fitters here from both Sporting Life (Wes) and Skis and Bikes (Chris). I have been led to understand that junior race and women's boots are not imported into Canada in sizes smaller than 22.5. Apparently, if we took a trip to Japan, we would have no problems finding a 21.5. The best solutions we have come across have been to put her into a 22.5 boot that provides a good ankle hold and appropriate width and try to forget about the extra length. Is this a reasonable solution? Those of you who work on the retail side, have you come across women's boots in 21.5 in North America?
Absolutely. There are a few "true" 21.5's available by most brands here. I say "true", these are boots with a BSL if 265 mm or less. There are some 21.5's that are 22.5 shells, while a shorter liner, these will have BSL's in the 270 mm range +/-. Most of the womens's boots in this range share shells with the junior race boots and only color and a plusher liner is usually the difference.

TS
E

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
Absolutely. There are a few "true" 21.5's available by most brands here. I say "true", these are boots with a BSL if 265 mm or less. There are some 21.5's that are 22.5 shells, while a shorter liner, these will have BSL's in the 270 mm range +/-. Most of the womens's boots in this range share shells with the junior race boots and only color and a plusher liner is usually the difference.
What are some examples of the brands/models of womens boots you have come across in that length? Around here, each shop generally only carries are few lines. Perhaps if I have some specific models to inquire about, I may be more successful when calling around.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What are some examples of the brands/models of womens boots you have come across in that length? Around here, each shop generally only carries are few lines. Perhaps if I have some specific models to inquire about, I may be more successful when calling around.
Lange RX & LX in 70/90 and Nordica & Dalbello both have. I have some Langes here in my garage that if you were local I would get set up for you but shipping outside the US is a PITA.

TS
E

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
Lange RX & LX in 70/90 and Nordica & Dalbello both have. I have some Langes here in my garage that if you were local I would get set up for you but shipping outside the US is a PITA.
Perhaps this is a size of market issue and they have chosen not to import the 21.5 to Canada. I have gone through the Canadian websites for Nordica and Lange and the sizes listed start at 22. Dalbello does not clearly state size range and I have therefore emailed them. The shop I have been working with sells all three of these lines and according lead fitter who spoke to the reps, he is not aware of availability smaller than 22.5. Very frustrating....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Perhaps this is a size of market issue and they have chosen not to import the 21.5 to Canada. I have gone through the Canadian websites for Nordica and Lange and the sizes listed start at 22. Dalbello does not clearly state size range and I have therefore emailed them. The shop I have been working with sells all three of these lines and according lead fitter who spoke to the reps, he is not aware of availability smaller than 22.5. Very frustrating....
You have some good shops over the border in NY, can you head that way to Ellicottville? Start making some calls to see if any of the shops have 21's or even Rochester?

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
You can find some junior race boots at 21.5.
I think 70 flex would be just fine for your daughter.

You can possibly order the boots through your local retailer if they don't have in stock.
Or you can just order online and make some fitting with the boot fitter of your like.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You can possibly order the boots through your local retailer if they don't have in stock.
The problem seems to be the Canadian distributor didn't bring any in.
Or you can just order online and make some fitting with the boot fitter of your like.
This would be out of Canada.

The other problem with 21.5, especially with women's boots is that not a lot are produced, I would venture to say not even enough for each store to order one pair so only a handful of shops will carry them,

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
The problem seems to be the Canadian distributor didn't bring any in.

This would be out of Canada.

The other problem with 21.5, especially with women's boots is that not a lot are produced, I would venture to say not even enough for each store to order one pair so only a handful of shops will carry them,

The race place offer an international shipping and they have 21.5 in stock.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Just including some additional points to what Phil said- the Atomic CS 110 & 70 LC boots are available in a “true” 21. This means the actual last length is 10mm shorter than the last of the 22. BUT the boot sole length is not 10mm shorter than the 22. If a 21 followed the normal progression of size scaling, it would have a boot sole length of 255mm. Most every system binding, however, only goes down to a 260mm setting which would not be enough to properly secure the boot. For this reason, our true 21 has a BSL of 262mm, slightly longer than the minimum binding setting to ensure proper forward pressure in the binding but it has a properly scaled last in every dimension.

TS
E

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
Just including some additional points to what Phil said- the Atomic CS 110 & 70 LC boots are available in a “true” 21. This means the actual last length is 10mm shorter than the last of the 22. BUT the boot sole length is not 10mm shorter than the 22. If a 21 followed the normal progression of size scaling, it would have a boot sole length of 255mm. Most every system binding, however, only goes down to a 260mm setting which would not be enough to properly secure the boot. For this reason, our true 21 has a BSL of 262mm, slightly longer than the minimum binding setting to ensure proper forward pressure in the binding but it has a properly scaled last in every dimension.
@onenerdykid Your signature indicates you work for Atomic. Do you know if Atomic would import the CS 70 in a 21.5 into Canada?

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just did a search on Sporting Life online store for 21.5 ski boots and these came up. Can search what stores have them in stock or I’m sure you could have them shipped to your local store to try them out.

edit-you have to go into “filter” and “search by size” and then the 21.5 options only are shown.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

My son just grew out of a pair of Atomic CS 70s in 21.5. One season of use, no punches, good condition. Let me know if you’re interested.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid Your signature indicates you work for Atomic. Do you know if Atomic would import the CS 70 in a 21.5 into Canada?
I work for Atomic at a global level, and I unfortunately don't know what individual countries have brought in or not. Usually countries can order things from our main warehouse in Austria, but this year (and also for 23/24) every boot will be made-to-order. There really isn't excess stock floating around, especially in the extreme ends of the size curve. Anyone looking for small or large sizes really needs to have a sit down with their local dealer and plan it out.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
She has been wearing a 21.5 kids ski boot, however as she has matured her calf and ankle have become more muscular and larger. Her ankle and calf no longer fit the kids 21.5 boot.

The best solutions we have come across have been to put her into a 22.5 boot that provides a good ankle hold and appropriate width and try to forget about the extra length. Is this a reasonable solution?
If her ankle and leg do not fit in her current kids 21.5 boot (kid's boots tend to be amorphous) why do you think it will fit in an adult 21.5 performance boot? The heel/ ankle/ calf areas will be much more structured and fitted, not more roomy. I think you are looking down the wrong rabbit hole, a 22 will give tons of options in a more recreational fit that will accomodate a "muscular ankle".

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
You can find some junior race boots at 21.5.
I think 70 flex would be just fine for your daughter.

The Lange Jr racing boots use to fit adult women feet and calf very well. I recall fitting a teenage girl that was very athletic in the Lange boot and I only had to use a longer buckle bail on the top buckle. I remember her dad was happy he didn't have to pay for an adult boot price vs the price of a Jr boot.

Sponsor

Staff online