• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 23/24 Palisades Parking Plans

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
True. But you don’t have to drive.
And @Near Nyqvist, you don’t need to struggle to ger a parking reservation, save gas $, and become a part of the solution with one less car on the road.

The financial incentive to get Pali employees to carpool is working. Some N* employees are green with envy and are making the same suggestion to their Val higher ups.

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dude
Those shuttles get stuck in the same traffic to the resort with everyone else
Total joke
As others have said, options if you don’t get a reservation. Carpooling is another.

I use the Sherwood shuttle from Sunnyside to get to Alpine reservation or not.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
And @Near Nyqvist, you don’t need to struggle to ger a parking reservation, save gas $, and become a part of the solution with one less car on the road.

The financial incentive to get Pali employees to carpool is working. Some N* employees are green with envy and are making the same suggestion to their Val higher ups.
You are an employee
Swing by and pick me n @Unpiste up

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
A parking question. I have a free parking rez for Sunday. If I can’t get there in my AWD in heavy snow and don’t cancel can they do anything ?

It would seem like not. OTOH if you park without a pass they can fine you.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A parking question. I have a free parking rez for Sunday. If I can’t get there in my AWD in heavy snow and don’t cancel can they do anything ?

It would seem like not. OTOH if you park without a pass they can fine you.
It is unenforceable, but they need to do something to encourage people to cancel since there is no $ involved to reserve
I know people who did no-shows with no penalty

I think though with the gathering if you don't know until past 9 that you're bermed in and can't get out, you can post and someone else might be able to use the rez

Last edited:

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
  • It is imperative that you cancel your reservation at parkpalisadestahoe.com to make your space available to another guest. If you do not cancel by 9am PST on the day of your reservation, initial violations are $100. If not paid within 10 days, it will increase to $200. Subsequent violations are subject to increasing penalties including season pass suspension. Additional information on penalties and resolution are available at parkpalisadestahoe.com

from https://www.parkpalisadestahoe.com/faqs

I have yet to see this actually happen

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
It is unenforceable, but they need to do something to encourage people to cancel.

I think though with the gathering if you don't know until past 9 that you're bermed in and can't get out, you can post and someone else might be able to use the rez
That’s a good idea. I don’t know if I can get over Donner or up 50 for a really late or no arrival on Sunday

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have yet to see this actually happen

A friend opened his phone app, saw "welcome to Palisades", "make a parking reservation".
Knowing that Alipne is part of Palisades, he clicked on the button for a reservation. He parked at Alpine and got a ticket for parking without a reservation. Plus he got a ticket for not using the "Palisades" reservation. $200!

He called them and they rolled back all the fines. Phew! And good on management for doing that.

This was a failure with the naming. I love the Palisades name for the combined resort. But differentiating the historic Alpine side from the historic Squaw side is still problematic. We are still allowed to call Alpine Alpine. But since Squaw is taboo, that side needs a good name. Palisades for the Squaw side is too confusing. The Olympic side might work (the freestyle team has Olympic Valley Freestyle Team on their jackets). KT side? Granite side? Snow King side (or just King side)? It certainly isn't the Valley side as the terrain is not some gentle valley. GNAR side! Calling it Palisades Valley just isn't working. Unless the intent is to confuse people into paying parking fines or meeting up at the wrong area. Fix the naming problem and build a parking structure.

At least I'm still allowed to park at my house and walk to the lifts - even on holidays and weekends.

Eric

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well they tried Olympic valley side for a bit and it didn't stick, and once mtn ops started calling the whole side Palisades in reports and blog updates that is where the tide was going, and they didn't really want to push against the tide. Not having to talk more about names is the right move given the disgruntles they were getting from certain hat-wearing population that don't even ski let alone would ever visit California but just want to make everything political.
The fight wasn't to be so precise with a rename, it was just to get away from the old name. So the definition of success differs.

Its not the only place with subnames. If you go to pcmr, which got merged with canyons it's the same deal. One side gets the colloquial name same as the entire ski area, the other has the historical past resort name. If you go to Aspen, you could get mixed up between Aspen mtn and Aspen highlands, same there too.

People figure it out. I don't think this is high on the list of problems or improvements guests really care about.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well they tried Olympic valley side for a bit and it didn't stick
I heard the Olympics wouldn't allow that. Don't know if that's true or not.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They really do need a good sub name for the OV side. It’s confusing to guests and makes it difficult to arrange meet up spots.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I heard the Olympics wouldn't allow that. Don't know if that's true or not.
That thing with the IOC was part of a whole other debate with people thinking they had a better rename than "Palisades Tahoe" for the entire ski area and not thinking for even 2min about every other place with Olympic, not just IOC trademarks. It was a moot point to bring up the IOC because the naming was never up as a people's vote anyway, which would have included Valley McValleyface.

But sticking to the subname, if you remember or able to scroll back on Twitter (or other official blogs and reports) they definitely were trying to make "OV" happen for the side subname for a good season or so before giving in.
Was able to go way back into broken twitter for the example below. This one also has a screenshot from the app/lift status that also was pushing Olympic Valley.
ov.JPG

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well they tried Olympic valley side for a bit and it didn't stick

Was able to go way back into broken twitter for the example below. This one also has a screenshot from the app/lift status that also was pushing Olympic Valley.
Yes, but they never updated the website to match. There were many places on the website all along where they referred to the OV side as Palisades and the other as Alpine or Alpine Meadows. Like the trail maps - I don't think the trail map page ever said OV and Alpine for the two maps, for instance. So I don't think they tried too hard, or tried well.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Yes, but they never updated the website to match. There were many places on the website all along where they referred to the OV side as Palisades and the other as Alpine or Alpine Meadows. Like the trail maps - I don't think the trail map page ever said OV and Alpine for the two maps, for instance. So I don't think they tried too hard, or tried well.

O, they completely F'd up. I posted, in the resort renaming thread, screenshots of the inconsistencies between their naming of the whole resort vs the "Pali" side. What transpires, to be honest, is a disdain for the Alpine side, which has always been treated as the little broda. Alpine, like "the other side", as an area called Palisades. So, if that is the name for the conglomerate, that was the name to choose.

The rest is history, there were 100 potentially good names - but they couldn't get that right. I really think AI should replace, at least many of us. I can't believe chatGPT wouldn't have come with a better decision. Or, a better post than this one, if we are going to be sassy :roflmao:

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Copy of the email I sent to Palisades this morning:
It’s past the 8:00 am cutoff and you still haven’t emailed your guests with reservations to let them know the resort is closed. As far as your guests are aware, they’re on the hook for a $100 fine if they don’t dig out, venture out onto the local roads in the middle of a blizzard, and make their way to the Palisades parking lot.

You need to get this together. The way you’re handling reservations in the middle of a snowstorm so large it’s closed the resort two days in a row is dangerous, and literally puts people’s lives at risk.

The responsible thing to do would have been to make it clear to all your guests in advance of the storm that no shows will not be enforced, and that everyone should use their own judgement as to whether to drive to the resort. And to just refund all paid reservations in advance while still leaving the reservations themselves in place, removing the incentive for people to drive to the resort lest they lose their $30. But clearly your priority here is not safety or the quality of the experience you’re providing to your loyal customers.

They did finally send an email to let people know the resort was closed at 8:08 am, although I still haven’t seen emails to the account I used to make parking reservations confirming they’re cancelled. If I weren’t subscribed to the main Palisades email list (or if the email went to junk), I might still think reservations were in effect.

Sponsor

Staff online