• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

-4F no big deal (as long as no wind)

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Our crew - three kids age seven to ten, and three adults - went out Saturday with temps -4 when we started. I was worried, esp about the kids, but we nailed it on clothes, chemical heaters. Near zero complaints. Still air and sun were big factors.

At the end of the day when we were tired (and it was 7F or 8F) we did get cold a bit.

TS
jt10000

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
There's always a big wind chill involved when you're skiing down the hill, unless you're staying slow behind your kids (so as not to leave them behind and be able to help them get up if they fall).
Our kids are not slow - two are in early race training. But we all had little exposed skin, and the runs 1000 ft vertical or less. So no problems. Wind/agony sitting on the lift was my big fear, or wind when the kids were standing around listening to coaches.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh. Only -4f? It was -13f when I opened up the patrol room today, thankfully its only -1f for the bulk of the ski day and considered warm for this time of year. #Alaska.

That said, getting layers and warmth dialed in for temps is a bit of an art. Especially when you're trying to do it for people who may not be able to articulate what exactly may not be working for them.

This year's winning bits of clothing have been a merino wood buff and a pair of insulated 3/4 length pants from Le Bent.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
-12°F was one of my best days of the season. It means no fog, no people. Just dress for it. I have made a few adjustments after that day, but enjoyed all but the arrival in the locker room as feeling returned to my hands. (I now have over mitts in my fanny pack. They are a bit board-like but do the trick if you have mitten failure without any battery issues.)

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My relatives in the western Mass/southern VT. area had -24 two nights ago but today, ( 2/5) it was sunny and 37 ( above zero) downright balmy. When I lived there as a kid skiing nearly every day, unless it was in single digits it was a t-neck, sweater and a Moriarity . Part of that was acclimation and part of it was adolescent metabolism. :D

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Mittens>gloves. I gotta say, a helmet with a ski mask style neck gator and goggles and layered up everywhere else and good to go for an hour or three..

If you get cold just stop to the side and sidestep or fishbone up some to get the blood pumping.

Also nice t be at a smaller ski hill only 5 minutes away from the lodge all the time..

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Still air and sun were big factors.
Sun on a cold day makes such a huge difference. I don't know if it's psychological or physical but 0° in sun is way better than 0° in clouds.

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
Did you mean burn fat or “brown fat”? Either way it’s all good.
brown fat. Eskimos have a genetic adaptation that helps them build more brown fat. It is metabolically active.

I guess it explains why during college, sitting next to certain large people felt like sitting next to a radiator. And certain others had down jackets on indoors about to freeze to death....

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Sun on a cold day makes such a huge difference. I don't know if it's psychological or physical but 0° in sun is way better than 0° in clouds.

It's physical. Clouds reflect,filter solar radiation(heat)

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
brown fat. Eskimos have a genetic adaptation that helps them build more brown fat. It is metabolically active.

I guess it explains why during college, sitting next to certain large people felt like sitting next to a radiator. And certain others had down jackets on indoors about to freeze to death....
I honestly did not know that. Thanks. It does explain a lot .
I always assumed it was a product of metabolic efficiency.
Now I know there’s more to it . :cool:

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't mind skiing in negative weather, but for my kids, it's about risk management. The risk to reward is so low at those temp that I don't mind skipping a day or two.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-4 is ok. You can always start a little later so it’s not the coldest part of the morning. Cover the skin and take breaks. In a group someone’s feet usually get cold so that’s a good time to warm up. Put an extra baklava in a pocket in case someone face plants and gets snow down their neck.

Sponsor

Staff online