• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

5G Home Internet?

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The T-Mobile uses a "blend" of the different "G"s, mostly 4G LTE for now, but 5G where available. It's fully compatible with the system of towers that T-Moble (and the old Sprint) already has installed. That's why it's much more accessible to the general population than the Verizon gizmo, which if I'm understanding it correctly, is pure 5G. Also, 5G microwave is distance challenged, so T-Mobile's solution is more useful in more spread out localities. My reading seems to indicate that T-Mobile is eating Verizon's lunch on this technology rollout.

This article is helpful. Add an hour or so on the interwebs and you will be up to speed.

The T-Mobile gizmo has 2 ethernet ports and also broadcasts WiFi. However what I'm reading is that the WiFi is kind of lame and it would be better to use one of the ethernet ports to send the signal to your existing WiFi or mesh system.

There's also a good article from PC Magazine, but I couldn't find it immediately. I think I left it on my home computer when I left this morning. I'll post it later if I can find it.

There also is a number of YouTube videos on the subject, if you care to jump down that rabbit hole...

Last edited:
TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Our Verizon Home 5G modem/router box has two ethernet out ports. I've used it connected to a LAN switch going to varos rooms on the house with notorious dead spots.

My box only works with a dedicated Home 5G tower signal. They did say they have a home internet modem/router box that will work with the 4G LTE signal (4G) but it's not the same performance.. That one really is essentially just a phone hot spot. FWIW I've used range extenders that had Ethernet ports to connect CAT5/6 cable to devices across the house in the past..

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The T-Mobile gizmo has 2 ethernet ports and also broadcasts WiFi. However what I'm reading is that the WiFi is kind of lame and it would be better to use one of the ethernet ports to send the signal to your existing WiFi or mesh system.
When plugging into the ethernet port with your existing router, without making other changes*, you will end up with a double NAT issue. (No, I don't know what that means, either.) Apparently, this noticeably impacts gamers, and to some degree your speeds in general. We have both our router active and the gateway's Wifi. The PC, the printer, the generator, the Roomba, are all on our Google Nest mesh system. They have the need for wider coverage or inter-device commmication. Our Smartphones, tablets, TV, Roku, etc. are all directly on the TMHI gateway. They don't need to talk to the other stuff much and need speed. The app for our mesh system, Google Home, gives us far more control over the WiFi network. The app for TMHI is extremely limited.

From what I've seen area coverage in the house is almost the same for the 2 Wifi networks. There are pockets where one or the other is better. Outside, walking around our property, I can get email via the mesh network. (3 points/routers on 3 floors.) For my phone it's a matter of seconds to switch networks should I need to and half the time I don't I how what I am linked to.

* There is a way to turn off WiFi on the gateway by going individually into each SSID and disabling it. However, personally the speed improvement I saw doing this (no gamers here) was mininal.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Hunh. Tmob's maps show Stowe as a 5G Ultra oasis (second only to UVM) in a 2G/3G/ partner coverage desert.

But then I already know not to trust Tmob's maps.
I’m not n the next town over. I’ve never seen a little 5 G symbol come up on my phone when I’m Stowe though. Lucky to see 3 bars most of the time.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Home 5G requires fairly decent line of sight. Mountains and tons of trees, you'd have to be within like a mile of the tower unless you're pretty high up and not in a valley.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Because of @Sibhusky 's input, I went in to a T-Mobile store tonight (I was working past their closing time last night) because I was told by several stores that I couldn't sign up over the phone. My inquiry on their web site earlier in the week indicated that service was available at my home, but "spots are limited". Well, after inputing the same information at the store with the salesman, I was told that I am "on the waiting list". Something major has changed in the last 48 hours. Even the web site interface is completely different, with only a 866 number to speak with someone in The Philippines. And that gal said "not available yet in your area". Rats!!!

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Because of @Sibhusky 's input, I went in to a T-Mobile store tonight (I was working past their closing time last night) because I was told by several stores that I couldn't sign up over the phone. My inquiry on their web site earlier in the week indicated that service was available at my home, but "spots are limited". Well, after inputing the same information at the store with the salesman, I was told that I am "on the waiting list". Something major has changed in the last 48 hours. Even the web site interface is completely different, with only a 866 number to speak with someone in The Philippines. And that gal said "not available yet in your area". Rats!!!
My employer, a major global internet infrastructure provider, is still majorly impacted by supply shortages. We're way behind on delivering products to customers, major ISP customers.. "Spots limited" probably really means "modem/router supply limited".. That's also why I was unable to just take my defective one to the Verizon store ahd have them hand me a replacement..

scott43

Skier
One of our cellphone carriers is experiencing a nation wide outage this morning. Which doesn't sound like a big deal except we only have two carriers.... :roflmao:

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
They like to remind us just how over the barrel we are... My wife just said that family just loves to suck as much money as possible out of the business.. probably one of the kids needs a new jet...
One of our cellphone carriers is experiencing a nation wide outage this morning. Which doesn't sound like a big deal except we only have two carriers.... :roflmao:
I guess this is why the rest of my Canada team is MIA online this morning.. 2 up manager coming to me to handle ALL Canada escalations today in 3.....2.....1...... :roflmao:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I got a card in the mail with some phone number that I called. (The SAME DAY the card arrived.) Probably the Philippines.

As to the reason. It could be lack of a gateway at the store, it could be your local tower is maxed out.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How much does a phone and data plan cost in Canada?

scott43

Skier
How much does a phone and data plan cost in Canada?

Depends and it ramps up quickly. I have unlimited data, throttled to nothing after 5gb per month, unlimited calls and texts for about $50/mth and that's a very good deal. The downside is your home zone where this applies is limited to large urban centres.

A true unlimited plan on one of the two major carriers is probably $75-$100 per month easy.

scott43

Skier
I just looked up a plan on the dead network. So 100gb of full speed data, throttled thereafter, is $175/mth.

Sponsor

Staff online