• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

5G Home Internet?

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Six months in and my T-Mobile connection has been very dependable. I've only had to reboot once, about a month ago.
My Verizon 5G has all my devices geotagged 200 miles away from here. I live in the Raleigh Durham area but every web interaction there they detect my location shows outside of Charlotte. Its' a real problem for stuff like Hulu and Netflix where they're accusing us of having people using the account in two different places. We just log in on the Spectrum router instead when we run in to that.. but if we didn't have both it would be a problem. There are people on the local Nextdoor having the same issue, but without the alternative option I have..

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
My Verizon 5G has all my devices geotagged 200 miles away from here. I live in the Raleigh Durham area but every web interaction there they detect my location shows outside of Charlotte. Its' a real problem for stuff like Hulu and Netflix where they're accusing us of having people using the account in two different places. We just log in on the Spectrum router instead when we run in to that.. but if we didn't have both it would be a problem. There are people on the local Nextdoor having the same issue, but without the alternative option I have..
Hey, every website shows me as being in Seattle, which is way more than 200 miles from here.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I had a 5G WiFi engineer explain the location tagging issue. Short answer.. the costs are a lot higher to have locations at the cell tower level so instead we get them at the actual cable or satellite hubs.. There are only a few of those in each state.. versus thousands of cities with cell towers.

Weird that the FBI knows what tower your cell phone used but Google Maps doesn't know what tower my Wifi connection is using???

Another weird thing.. Ring Doorcam lost the connection.. and wasn't reconnecting. Had to call them.. The tech was certain that our model wasn't compatible with 5G Home Internet service.. and didn't believe men when I told them it had been working fine with that access point for the past 6 months.. A full factory reset of the equipment eventually resolved the problem.. on the same 5G Home access point.. YMMV..

Sponsor