• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

$899.00 for a K2 ski??

Calbearski

Booting up
Skier
Maybe it is just me but I find it hard to believe a K2 ski made in China would retail for $899.00. I have not considered a K2 product as a viable option since they moved production to China years ago. With a retail price greater than a Blossom White Out, I cannot believe they could be worth what K2 is asking.

Do they really have the materials, manufacturing process, and QA to justify that price, or is this becoming the new baseline retail price for skis?

If that's the case, Stockli prices aren't that much greater for the proven quality you get.

Just asking.

parkrat

Booting up
Skier
$900 is more than I would pay for a ski, but is there anything wrong with being made in China? I would wait till I could get it on sale, but $900 doesn't seem too far away from MSRP for other adult skis.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Maybe it is just me but I find it hard to believe a K2 ski made in China would retail for $899.00. I have not considered a K2 product as a viable option since they moved production to China years ago. With a retail price greater than a Blossom White Out, I cannot believe they could be worth what K2 is asking.

Do they really have the materials, manufacturing process, and QA to justify that price, or is this becoming the new baseline retail price for skis?

If that's the case, Stöckli prices aren't that much greater for the proven quality you get.

Just asking.
What ski and are we talking MSRP or MAP? With or without binding? And what does it matter where it is built? Is a Mercedes built in Alabama perform any less than one buit in Stuttgart?

parkrat

Booting up
Skier
The Disruption is the most expensive ski in K2's lineup. It does come with something called dark matter damping and titanal I-beam.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
What ski and are we talking MSRP or MAP? With or without binding? And what does it matter where it is built? Is a Mercedes built in Alabama perform any less than one buit in Stuttgart?
Posts like this just reinforce to me what a disastrous decision it was by previous k2 management to move production to China. Stuff like this can matter more than you let on, particularly for a brand whose heritage was all about being American. You think Rolex would ever be stupid enough to move production from Switzerland to China? Edit: i actually think Mercedes made a mistake as well.

Last edited:

parkrat

Booting up
Skier

It has to be MSRP. There are no K2 skis more expensive than $899.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

If that's the case, Stöckli prices aren't that much greater for the proven quality you get.

Just asking.

I like your spunk. But.... The full retail price of skis has been going up steadily, and K2 fatter skis are highly rated, have been since Sean Pettit and Seth Morrison, etc., chose them, designed and prototyped them. Not all K2s are great to me, but the fatter ones tend to have a chance, at least. Right now, the 90, 99 and 108 Mindbenders are to me tops in their widths (not so much the 116). I'd rather have one of these Mindbenders than a Kastle of equal width - or a fatter Stockli (over, say, 80 width). I own a pair of the Blossom WhiteOut 76s, like them, ski them, better than any K2 of that width. So for narrower skis, it's still meh for me with them; I get on them, feel they are not as dialed in as the bigger brands or race ski brands, etc. - or Laser Stocklis, and move on.

That said, I'd never have to pay full price for a K2, or most other brands. A few small premium brands can control their prices more and keep them higher, but come mid-season (February), a K2 is going to be discounted, in a carefully choreographed set of steps. Heck, with the right retailers, larger brands will be discounted. And last year's versions are half price or less. So that K2 after a year becomes a bargain I'll go for. Especially if it's a carryover, unchanged except for graphics, why not get last year's pair - say, more yellow instead of white?

Last edited:

parkrat

Booting up
Skier
That said, I'd never have to pay full price for a K2, or most other brands. A few small premium brands can control their prices more and keep them higher, but come mid-season (February), a K2 is going to be discounted, in a carefully choreographed set of steps. Heck, with the right retailers, larger brands will be discounted. And last year's versions are half price or less. So that K2 after a year becomes a bargain I'll go for. Especially if it's a carryover, unchanged except for graphics, why not get last year's pair - say, more yellow instead of white?

Your thoughts are the same as my own. When last year's ski is available for a 20-40% discount in a specific brand, it's beyond me why anyone would pay full retail.

TS
Calbearski

Calbearski

Booting up
Skier
Where it is built makes a significant difference. For example QA in China is not the same as QA in Japan or Germany.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Where it is built makes a significant difference. For example QA in China is not the same as QA in Japan or Germany.
I disagree. My Apple Macbook Pro is from China and it is fine QA. I do know that K2's QA went up significantly when they moved from Vashon to China.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
The problem i see for K2 is many of their competitors are built in France, Austria, etc where there is a perception difference relative to China regardless of whether there is a true difference in quality. That and Europe, etc has more of a skiing heritage than China as well. You could also make a ski in Jamaica. And it could be a fine ski, but it would be an uphill battle to convince consumers to buy a ski made in Jamaica. A surfboard on the other hand.......

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Calbearski you still didn't say which ski you're looking at and whether it includes the binding.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Just asking.
Disruption MTi and 82Ti are $899.95 and that is with a Marker X-Cell 12 binding which is $199.99 so that puts either of these skis less than $700 which is about the same as every other ski in their class. The Stocklis and Blossoms are all priced above the K2's once you put a binding on them. As far as them being worth what they are asking...both of these skis did receive Tester's Choice Awards from our team so, yeah, they are worth what K2 is asking for them.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Nowadays it really depends on each particular factory. High quality manufacturing in China is not uncommon.

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
I do know that K2's QA went up significantly when they moved from Vashon to China.
This. This is all I've heard, over and over, from anyone I've spoken with who is "in the know". The tune and finish of my new MB90Ti's is in a completely different league than my 2018 Brahma's. The Brahma's were over-beveled, railed, and lost what little bit of camber they initially had in the first month. The K2's look like they were spit out of a robot that does nothing but produce perfect skis all day long. While a "Chinese Ski Producing Robot" isn't the most romantic image to ponder when I'm looking down at my feet, I DO take comfort in the possibility that I am experiencing a product which has been produced to a standard sufficient for realizing the intended design components and geometry in practice.

My skis are too important to me to mess around with boutique romances. I'll take the $40k Toyota over the $40k Mercedes every time.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
I've had some interesting conversations with people in manufacturing about how a lot of industries don't have any holdover expertise in the US. We used to have experts going abroad to help train new manufacturing staff in other places when factories were moved - but at this point, those people have retired, and those countries had 20 or 30 years to develop their own experts. They've also seen the cutting edge of digital manufacturing for decades now.

People looking to bring factories back to the US have run into major issues because we just do not have modern expertise in a lot of sectors. If you see "American made" stamped on anything in their industry, it's going to be the most expensive product on the market for bottom of the barrel quality, made by basically any random kid who claims they can operate a machine. Not saying that's how every industry works, but the popular romantic view of American made products is increasingly far from reality.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
The beauty of big brands is that you can get them at significant discount at the end of the season. Take advantage of that, keeping in mind that you may have a hard time finding the model and length you want.

Sponsor