• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Altering ski behavior through tuning?

James

Out There
Instructor
Mood setters* and mantras tend to be like that.

at some point we need to explore the connection between expectation control and mood setting.
Yep, the person setting up for the slalom skis needs to manage the candles, incense, and breathing. While making some eastern statement on defeating an army with one stick.

I remember Weems in his book mentioned a day teaching Tony Robbins to ski. He was terrible, and crashed continually. At the end Robbins said he'd had a great day. When questioned how that could possibly be, Robbins said he’d learned what didn’t work.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Even Richard Bach touched on the direction this thread is drifting.
Under performing due to lack of skills, with high performance equipment. Johnathon Livingston Seagull crashed a lot.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, base structure matters, and yes, a beginnermediate, low intermediate on a FIS Sl is sort of silly when some like Head V6 or V8 will hit it out of the park for the same desired outcomes for this skier demographic. ( or can we say it again? A navigator 80 ti.)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I realize this was a hypothetical thought exercise, yet I feel changing the ski behavior (by which I think we all mean how the ski reacts to the inputs of the skier) is nowhere near as useful as changing the skier’s behavior. I think there is a consensus that putting a low intermediate on a SL ski will not change the skier’s behavior in the way anyone will want.

TS
M

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
Ok, for giggles let's take it out of the realm of the hypothetical for a bit. I have an 11 year old solid intermediate who is pretty quickly progressing with his carving on the local (Michigan) black diamond runs. We've been on seasonal leases for the last few years (130 length last year), but he's ready for a "real" kids ski, so I've been casually looking around when.....a really clean pair of Racetiger SL's in a 138 popped up at a garage sale at a price I couldn't say no to. I think it "might" be (almost certainly is?) too much ski for the lad for this year, and I'm not opposed to picking up a more appropriate pair for him, but my goodness with 5 skiers in the family and my personal quiver at 4 plus a snowboard or two, i gotta lotta gear around. I'm not ready to let go of these, cause I know in a year or two he WILL be ready for them, but I'm not convinced I have room for a 10th (or is it 11th?? I've kinda lost count...and do I count the boards? sheesh math is hard) set of sticks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ok, for giggles let's take it out of the realm of the hypothetical for a bit. I have an 11 year old solid intermediate who is pretty quickly progressing with his carving on the local (Michigan) black diamond runs. We've been on seasonal leases for the last few years (130 length last year), but he's ready for a "real" kids ski, so I've been casually looking around when.....a really clean pair of Racetiger SL's in a 138 popped up at a garage sale at a price I couldn't say no to. I think it "might" be (almost certainly is?) too much ski for the lad for this year, and I'm not opposed to picking up a more appropriate pair for him, but my goodness with 5 skiers in the family and my personal quiver at 4 plus a snowboard or two, i gotta lotta gear around. I'm not ready to let go of these, cause I know in a year or two he WILL be ready for them, but I'm not convinced I have room for a 10th (or is it 11th?? I've kinda lost count...and do I count the boards? sheesh math is hard) set of sticks.
If the ski is within the nose and forehead, it could be a good learning tool. With a junior SL, err to the short side than long.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Ok, for giggles let's take it out of the realm of the hypothetical for a bit. I have an 11 year old solid intermediate who is pretty quickly progressing with his carving on the local (Michigan) black diamond runs. ....
Really? Carving??
I have three questions, because if he's carving on the hill's black groomers I'd have trouble labeling him a low intermediate.
1. What do you technically mean when you say he's "carving?"
2. Is your son in a race program? Or in any seasonal program?
3. What skis are his peers on?

TS
M

motogreg

Skier
well, progressing with his carving, for sure getting them on edge and riding the arc, but a ways off from Paul Lorenz.

Local black diamonds consist of a grand total of about 320 vertical feet, so lets not get carried away labeling it as "expert" terrain, basically any kid in the area can bomb top to bottom at age 6.

More of an middle intermediate, but I was being conservative for the sake of the hypothetical.

No race program, we have done some Nastar but nothing focused. We don't really have the time for it.

Most of his buddies are on twin-tip park skis, not so much of the directional stuff. Kids these days.... While he is a little interested in jumps etc, he is really keen on getting on edge and RIPPING.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, get rid of the snowboards if you're concerned about too many boards.

TS
M

motogreg

Skier
well, it's funny, I haven't snowboarded since I lived in Utah 20 years ago cause in MI I don't want the hassle of fiddling with the straps.....

James

Out There
Instructor
Most of his buddies are on twin-tip park skis, not so much of the directional stuff.
I think you’re better off learning on directional skis even if you go the other way later. It’s too easy to over rotate the center mounts.

Even Richard Bach touched on the direction this thread is drifting.
Under performing due to lack of skills, with high performance equipment. Johnathon Livingston Seagull crashed a lot.
All you have to do is drive through a special toll booth. But we got rid of them.
191DF7FC-6E3E-44D8-8446-3DEAB3F57017.png

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
He was actually in Death Wish 3 years earlier according to Wikipedia.

Sponsor

Staff online