• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alterra Mountain Company Announces Transformational Changes at Four Marquee Destinations

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not so much sub par in terms of quality. The lodges are inadequate in terms of size for the additional skiers Ikon draws in.
As Phil said earlier, the buildings were built a lont time ago with few upgrades so the area they are talking about improving is a bit tired.

I have always enjoyed Deer Valley when I visit, but I can imagine the parking going into the covered garage area, which goes up a few flights of stairs to get to snow can be confusing for some relatively new visitors. It could be streamlined a bit better.
Besides, @Philpug gets tired of waiting for me. I'm slooooow.

Edit to add this quote from page one from someone who knows the area well.
I think the overhaul of DV's Snow Park Lodge and base area is a good move and is overdue. It has been needed for some time now but I always figured they were going to relocate the main base area to what is now being planned as the Mayflower resort.

In addition to modernizing and expanding the base area, the move seems to be a signal that DV is planning to remain separate from the planned Mayflower resort.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
From a foreign visitor and real-skier (who also enjoys good base facilities and spends a moderate amount of money at said facilities when visiting) perspective, the Squaw-Alpine gondola sounds like a fantastic draw-card (haven't been to Squaw for over a decade and I immediately thought "ooh I'd love to go back to experience that"), and the Steamboat expansion just wants me to go back again even more (favourite NA ski area for me and the family).
As a very sporadic visitor, I think it is cool too. But I think one worry for the regulars who prefer Alpine is that it turns it into a satellite parking facility.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Re: Mammoth, see this article in this weeks Mammoth Sheet - this has been in the works for some time. The one thing I always thought lacking at Mammoth was a cohesive and progressive learning area at Main. Green runs are sprinkled at each base lodge and intermingled with blues. Creating a dedicated learning area would help keep those who are progressing on appropriate terrain and allow a more natural progression to take place. Granted Canyon has the best learning area but this would seem to enlarge the learning terrain at Main and keep newer skiers from having to ski the runs between the two terrain parks.

See Page 1 / 10

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Re: Mammoth, see this article in this weeks Mammoth Sheet - this has been in the works for some time. The one thing I always thought lacking at Mammoth was a cohesive and progressive learning area at Main. Green runs are sprinkled at each base lodge and intermingled with blues. Creating a dedicated learning area would help keep those who are progressing on appropriate terrain and allow a more natural progression to take place. Granted Canyon has the best learning area but this would seem to enlarge the learning terrain at Main and keep newer skiers from having to ski the runs between the two terrain parks.

That makes sense.
I really think that cohesiveness and flow is the direction overall.
Most of these resorts had things in the works before Alterra existed but now Alterra is making it possible.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
when people (anyone, not just the usual cranky suspects) vent their loquacious tendency to find fault with anything the industry announces they are planning
:wave:

I don't have opinions at the moment on the Alterra press release.

I'm just here to point out that what we loquacious cranky suspects are typically responding to has little to do with skiing and everything to do with calling BS on the same old insultingly predictable capitalist disingenuousness that relies on our misplaced goodwill for its continued existence. If it seems like we find fault with "anything the industry announces" then maybe that's a reflection on the industry, not on us.

This particular skier bought a season pass at Saddleback for as much as an Ikon base pass, and has been plugging the place assiduously here - and on Epic before - since more or less forever. I'm supporting a local economy and an approach to the ski industry that I respect. It's an approach that takes many aspects of the customer experience into account, including the scale and aesthetics and general tenor of the operation. Same could be said about Mt. Abram and Black Mountain. All good operations.

I buy skis from site partner Ski Essentials in Vermont, wax from other sponsors, and services from Happy Tunes at the Loaf. I contribute money to this site and I donate gear to the high school ski team's annual swap. When my kid was skiing I volunteered for the team. So please don't say or imply that I don't put my money where my mouth is, or that my contributions are all negative. (@David Chaus, not aiming these comments specifically at you, btw. You just wrote the best launch pad.)

Meanwhile I treasure the many voices here - especially the contentious ones, especially when they are articulate and intelligent and reluctant to fall back on banal sops. Rock on, amusing gadflies!

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As Phil said earlier, the buildings were built a lont time ago with few upgrades so the area they are talking about improving is a bit tired.
When we were last in SLC in 2019, the main entry/lodge at Deer Valley was showing signs of needing a good sprucing up, especially since they tout themselves as an upscale destination. Frankly, doesn't bother me as I'm a "there to ski" cheap ass on a IKON Base pass, but those who arrive for a "destination resort vacation" might find it not up to their expectations.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Off topic but in response to an earlier post... +1 for The Social Dilema.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I have always enjoyed Deer Valley when I visit, but I can imagine the parking going into the covered garage area, which goes up a few flights of stairs to get to snow can be confusing for some relatively new visitors. It could be streamlined a bit better.
Besides, @Philpug gets tired of waiting for me. I'm slooooow.

Edit to add this quote from page one from someone who knows the area well.

DV's base lodge capacity issues during holiday weeks dwarf the layout and age of their facilities. I have been to many resorts during holiday weeks. Yet I have never seen anything approaching the cluster I experienced at DV during President week couple seasons back when Ikon first came to DV.

Mayflower is a red herring. It's a real estate play with federal money.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think I lack creativity and spatial intelligence because for the life of me, I do not see enough space at Squaw for the base and mid-station of the B2B lift. :huh:

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’m not sure where the alpine mid load will be, but I’m guessing Bernie’s will never be the same.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m not sure where the alpine mid load will be, but I’m guessing Bernie’s will never be the same.
My guess is it will be by the far side of the parking lot, giving the opportunity to go to Squaw or up to Alpine.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Reading the twitter comments on OZSkier's post about this announcement is quite different than many comments here.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I only wish that some of the money would be spent at our local hill (Blue Mountain) to update the snow making. The hill is totally dependent on man-made, and it hasnt been upgraded since the 80's

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not so much sub par in terms of quality. The lodges are inadequate in terms of size for the additional skiers Ikon draws in.
This is true not only of the lodges but of the way the entire mountain, runs and lifts, is laid out. Edgar never intended the place to accommodate massive numbers of the hoi polloi. Many runs are narrow, there are innumerable choke points and zones of congestion. The place is a dangerous nightmare at peak times these days - not surprising when a resort designed for maybe 3,500 skiers is stuffed with 12,000 plus.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
My guess is it will be by the far side of the parking lot, giving the opportunity to go to Squaw or up to Alpine.
I'm happy to see the mid load isn't up top of Bernie's. I saw that on the plan proposal, but super happy that isn't the case.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Hung out this weekend with a friend who has been with Lowes long term. He brought up a point that had not crossed my simple brain when talking about doing some remodeling here. The material supply chain.
Lots of little but essential parts are pretty much unobtainable this year. Stuff like household electrical breakers, many types of wall mount outlet boxes, glues, particle boards (think decking), and lots of other fun stuff. You won't find them or pay a very high premium.
This will be a very frustrating and expensive year to build and especially rebuild anything.
Just a joyous thought.

Sponsor

Staff online