• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

And, now, something rather fast.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wow, amazing.
Listening to this, the driver backed off due to cross wind. The engineers say it’ll do 350.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
They've wrung 1750 HP out of that V8.

Wiki says that's the rating for E85 flex, they're only getting 1350 for the 91 octane pump gas version.

1350 HP burns, in a conservative scenario (meaning rich enough to not detonate when turbocharged), north of 118 US gallons per hour.

1750HP will, of course, be way more than that and the number will get magnified by E85's lower heat content.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Venerable really does apply to the small block.
I can’t think of better bang for the buck if you’re building a high performance engine. 1000hp at the wheels is achievable without the need for a trust fund.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The horses push you thought the wind barrier. How many gears you gotta go through to get up to 350 MPH?

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can’t think of better bang for the buck if you’re building a high performance engine. 1000hp at the wheels is achievable without the need for a trust fund.
It wasn't all that long ago when 500 HP was a lot and only the most exotic or highly modified vehicles reached that level. Today can bolt on a supercharger on a new Mustang and make 1000HP without hardly breaking a sweat. We certainly are living in remarkable times.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It wasn't all that long ago when 500 HP was a lot and only the most exotic or highly modified vehicles reached that level. Today can bolt on a supercharger on a new Mustang and make 1000HP without hardly breaking a sweat. We certainly are living in remarkable times.
I remember when the ZR-1 was released with 375HP and that was a high bar. Now SUV's are hitting 0-60 in the 3's and some cars are just over 2 seconds 0-60...as you say, remarkable times.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Tesla does a pretty good job addressing that. ;)

Not really.
Nobody asks where the juice comes from or where it will come from if the transport fleet becomes mostly electrified.
One big problem is that most charging has to happen at night when wind and solar aren't happening.
There are gains when using gas fired cogen plants to do the charging since they approach 60% thermal efficiency as opposed to the 25% you get from a good IC engine but you still need a grid to get to the point of use.

James

Out There
Instructor
Nobody asks where the juice comes from or where it will come from if the transport fleet becomes mostly electrified.
I posted this in the oil thread when someone asked how much oil a Tesla uses.
84E7D0B4-7D99-4905-AEFA-21FC78B01EB4.jpeg

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Tesla does a pretty good job addressing that. ;)

Tesla performance and EV in general are very sensitive to battery temperatures. What you dont see in most of the youtube videos is the amount of battery preconditioning required. They start the race/lap at ideal battery temp and cannot immediately do another lap at the same pace. Especially the model S and X. Model 3 is better for track but has same limitations. Typically they turn off regeneration for brakes to help mitigate thermal loads.

Porsche Taycan actually has better battery management system for thermal/track use than the Tesla. It runs at higher voltage and costs significantly more.

TS
D

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
@James: can you refer me to where that (oil) thread is? I tried searching but, predictably, the search function scolded me on the basis that "oil" is too general a term to search thread titles with.
Thanks.

James

Out There
Instructor
@James: can you refer me to where that (oil) thread is? I tried searching but, predictably, the search function scolded me on the basis that "oil" is too general a term to search thread titles with.
Thanks.
Ah, the glorious search engine. Sometimes it’s easier just to go to the forum list and wade through stacks of papers.

Sponsor

Staff online