• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Another snowboarder vs skier fight

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier
This isn't really a skier vs snowboarder thing.
This is more about people being jerks in general.
Sad. :nono:

this ^^^

I do think it is time to stop perceiving this as skiers v. snowboarders -

though some of us aging skiers continue to have a bias about snowboarders, this is Much more a matter of aggressive behavior - unchecked - and
people being jerks in general.

I agree with Tricia -

skiJ

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I started on snow, on a board, around '88 with a BurtonAir. Had to call ahead around here to make sure boards were allowed. By high school none of my friends rode one so I just started skiing instead. Now in my mid 40's I prefer to ski and the only biases I have are to jerks sometimes :)

I did almost get into 2 fights on a hill though in my younger days, only as a skier though :) One I had stopped to help someone that crashed on a little trail thru the woods at Ski Brule in the UP of MI. Helped them gather their stuff and was on the side of a roller were it drops off into the woods clipped back in my skis and just waiting for them to clip in and make sure they got down ok. this teenager came by and whapped me in the back of the knees with his ski pole and yelled at us that it was a bad place to stop.

The other I was 16 and we used to ski up behind each other and push the bindings down, extra points if they didn't know you did it. well, just before the lift line, same skis, white boots as my friend, though it was not one of my friends. I felt about 2" tall when they popped out of their ski and I noticed it wasn't anyone I knew. Thought the dad was going to kill me. Had to apologize quite a bit in that line.

That memory came back to me Friday night when my son wiped out and I was helping him up and a group of young teenagers went by on their way to the terrain park, well all of them went by and the last kid was coming right at us. I was looking back into a light so his face and everything was in a shadow, or so I thought. He was backwards and never knew we were there. at the last second I yelled and blocked him to the side. That kid felt like I did I could tell. Told him not to worry, I'd let him live :) and to keep eyes on where you're heading.

Could tell he was a good kid, just doing kid things. Pretty sure he learned something from that, much like I did all those years before.

none of those involved 20 somethings and booze though.

blikkem

Booting up
Skier
It's not free beer to begin with. It's part of the charter bus fare that is coordinated with the company and people who choose to use the charter bus

Much of the Southern California ski clubs use charter buses for their "local mountain" ski trips... and guess what? They serve beer and alcohol also, as part of the package.

It's nothing to be worked up over.

Plus, do you really want someone from NYC driving in the snow, whether what they incorrectly call "Upstate NY" or through actual upstate NY in VT?

I wasn't referring to a ski club.

dlinfiniti

Booting up
Skier
There was a time when these types of disputes could be settled with a good old fashioned Chinese downhill

Sponsor

Staff online