• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any cardiologist in the house? Atrial Flutter content.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Please pm me. Thanks

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Over the past wek or so I have been dealing with some back issues and finally I went to Urgent Care to have it addressed. While I was getting my preliminaries they checked my blood pressure and turned out that my heartbeat was in the mid 170 BPM and I could immediately hear the concern in thier voice. They did an EKG and I had an irregular heart beat and they said I needed to get to the ER. I said I would drive over, they said, no they would call an ambulance. I said my wife was close she could drive me.
0AAF0209-1D15-4D89-9C03-3EE50289A33A.jpeg
At the ER, they got me right back to the get another EKG and still the beats were still in the 170 range. Turns out I have an atrial flutter and after a shot of Cardizen my heartbeat went down to an acceptable 70 BPM. I really thought I would end up staying over night for observation but everything went as good as can be expected.

As far as the back issues I originally went in for, after a Catscan it turns out I have some arthritis in my lower back that will be addressed with pain killers first then possible steroids later after the blood thinners are done.

We have a friend that is a PT and I tried contacting him to see if I could get into see him Monday before we head to Bachelor and fortunately he wasn't around otherwise I would have NOT gone to the UC and caught the Atrial Flutter and it would have gone unaddressed and it could have had much worse consequences down the road.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Did they send you home with any anti-coagulant prescriptions? Eliquis is pretty expensive, but there's a manufacturer's discount that knocks the cost down to manageable $$.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did they send you home with any anti-coagulant prescriptions? Eliquis is pretty expensive, but there's a manufacturer's discount that knocks the cost down to manageable $$.
Looking at my MyChart:
rivaroxaban 20 MG Tabs tablet
Commonly known as: Xarelto

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well that’s no fun! 170 is crazy high! I think I’d pass out! Don’t overdo it (ok, I know, it’s energizer bunny we’re talking about here.) But take a page out of Tricia’s playbook and rest up a bit.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But take a page out of Tricia’s playbook and rest up a bit.
LOL, the difference is that Phil would tell me to take a day off and make me do it. I would have to monitor him and count on him listening to me.....I fear it won't go the same way. ;)

surfski

Putting on skis
Skier
Funny how things play out as you say if your PT friend had been available life may have taken a different turn. I appreciate your site and the benefit it and your reviews have given to me even if it is unlikely we will meet in person I wish you well for both yourself and for those around you for whom this may have been quiet a shock

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Yes, but cheaper than Pradaxa. I Have Blue Cross/Shield and have a $30 a month copay for Eliquis. (actually $15 now with a half dose)
But if you need it you need it reguardless.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Best of luck to you Phil! I've dealt with A-fib/flutter for almost 10 years. My story is just about the same-went to my doctor as I was feeling bad and he said "get to the hospital right now. Someone can drive you or I can call an ambulance". My heart rate was 190.

I had a couple of cardioversions and the second one took. It still comes and goes, but hasn't stopped my routine. Along with the daily medications, I take aspirin as a blood thinner-much less aggressive than some of the others available.

Sponsor

Staff online