• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any issues with Atomic Hawx Ultra?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
2019 Version 120. Boots are getting getting comfortable. But darn, I can't keep warm. Still playing with socks, but the toe area freezes, way too fast for me.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I posted this on EPIC last season and may be what an earlier poster in this thread mentioned. These were bought new last season and I had 25-30 days in them when this happened. I was skiing trees and right out of nowhere went head over heels, I assumed I caught a tip on something under the snow but couldn't find anything in the area. The left boot felt weird like my buckles popped open. I skied out to a groomed run next to the glade and this is what I saw:

View attachment 39730 View attachment 39731

The local dealer was fantastic and fixed me up in a few days with a new upper cuff sent by Atomic. Later in the season the left boot started to feel weird again and once I got looking there was a crack/split in the inside top of the lower shell where it looks like the plastic is moulded/welded together: View attachment 39732
View attachment 39735

I just skied it like this for the rest of the season and the boots were replaced under warranty this year. Was definitely sketchy skiing the boot like this was it was early March so there wasn't exactly a surplus of boots available.

Also after the upper cuff on the left boot broke I noticed some cracking/separation of the upper cuff on the right boot: View attachment 39733 View attachment 39734

So this season I'm in the Hawx Ultra 130. Just like the 120, it is a sweet boot; light, amazing fit, comfortable, great performance. However with 35ish days in them the left boot is starting to feel sketchy and is noticeably softer. And I've got my tree run front flip running through my mind all the time while skiing them now. The boot definitely feels odd and isn't just my paranoia. I've pulled everything apart and can't see a crack anywhere. Time will tell...

As far as people saying they're getting wet feet, when I pull the liners out to dry everything there is usually a bit of moisture on the toe box area of the liner, but it's not excessive and I've never had wet feet.

I really like these boots, the out of the box fit is amazing and then with a custom footbed and some attention from the bootfitter they're sweet. I'm just not 100% convinced on the durability.

Bet it's your liner.

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
I always assumed my 2016/2017 Hawx Ultra 130 didn't leak at all as my socks were never wet and thought they were just not as warm as my previous boots The first time i took out the liners after skiing this year I noticed the liners were slightly wet on the sides above the toe area. As I had seen how much better the weather strip on the 2017/2018 Ultra boots were on my GF's pair, I asked my dealer to get me in a new weather strip from Atomic service/Amer Sports. They instead were sent 4 buckle clips which you put on the existing front 2 buckles and they put more pressure down on the overlap flap. I had to cut down the width of the 2nd buckle clip so that it didn't interfere with the "teeth" but they seem to better close the seal even at the same buckle settings. I will be skiing on sunday and will see if this solves my small leak and if not, I will try to get the current, much larger weather seal put on my boots.

View attachment 36957 \
Anyone know where I can get this 4 buckle clips?

I search all over the internet could not find it .

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Anyone know where I can get this 4 buckle clips?

I search all over the internet could not find it .

Atomic provided these to dealers in the second year of Hawx Ultra production to try and solve the leaking boot issues that some customers like myself had in the first year. They later provided a weather strip to glue under the boot overlap to as well solve leaking issues. Both the seal attached and buckle adapters came with the 2nd year Hawx Ultra models.

Ask at any Atomic retailer and they should have them in stock or worst case could order them in for you.

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Reviving this old thread. Last year was a non-starter for me for various reasons. So today was my first day out since shortly after the Utah gathering of 2018. I picked up a pair of Dalbello Krytpon Fusion boots cheap....I had tried the Panteraa 120's on just before I bought the Hawx Ultras, but decided against them because of the weight; otherwise they fit nice so I was hoping the Kryptons would have a similar fit, which they did. Skiing in them today went super well, I actually felt I was using less of my leg muscles to ski, and I had absolutely none of the "back seat" issues I had with the Hawx.
So do any of the boot experts know how these boots compare regarding ramp and forward lean? Not super important since I found something that works, but it would be educational to know the difference so that I can keep it in mind for future boot shopping. It really makes me wonder how many people may be struggling with boots that don't work for them, even if the fit is right.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Reviving this old thread. Last year was a non-starter for me for various reasons. So today was my first day out since shortly after the Utah gathering of 2018. I picked up a pair of Dalbello Krytpon Fusion boots cheap....I had tried the Panteraa 120's on just before I bought the Hawx Ultras, but decided against them because of the weight; otherwise they fit nice so I was hoping the Kryptons would have a similar fit, which they did. Skiing in them today went super well, I actually felt I was using less of my leg muscles to ski, and I had absolutely none of the "back seat" issues I had with the Hawx.
So do any of the boot experts know how these boots compare regarding ramp and forward lean? Not super important since I found something that works, but it would be educational to know the difference so that I can keep it in mind for future boot shopping. It really makes me wonder how many people may be struggling with boots that don't work for them, even if the fit is right.

6C669271-B796-43CD-8231-4F08029BE34F.png

According to this pic, the “from the factory” forward lean is 13 degrees and then can go down to 11 or up to 15 degrees. The Hawx Ultra 130 is 15 degrees from the factory and can go down to 13 or up to 17 degrees. (Plus the slight increase if the rear cuff spoiler if in place).

So your “happy place” as far as boot forward lean must be closer to the 13 range rather than 15 I guess.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
DF11F278-381A-4A9D-9D64-46FD15EDC122.jpeg
I’m on round two of Ultra 130s as I just got last years version for about $300 US and added the Booster Straps from my old boots. The new PU shell is definitely damper than the original version and seems like a better seal so far. Liner more comfortable now too.

rocdoc

Getting on the lift
Skier
View attachment 92551
I’m on round two of Ultra 130s as I just got last years version for about $300 US and added the Booster Straps from my old boots. The new PU shell is definitely damper than the original version and seems like a better seal so far. Liner more comfortable now too.
Curious how you feel the Boosters work. I have the exact same boots and I’ve been wondering whether to put the Booster straps on them or not. The boots are nice and stiff but I wonder how the variable flex of the Booster straps would change the feel on snow.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Curious how you feel the Boosters work. I have the exact same boots and I’ve been wondering whether to put the Booster straps on them or not. The boots are nice and stiff but I wonder how the variable flex of the Booster straps would change the feel on snow.

I like them! I use them on the liner only above the shell and find they work even better than the factory ones. I can put them tighter than the traditional Velcro straps and since they have a bit of give to them, it’s still very comfortable. Using the strap above the shell against the liner gives a nice tight fit for quicker response without it feeling constrictive and there’s less chance for shin bang.
I’ve got the Expert and I’m 175lbs and it’s a good match I think.

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 92543

According to this pic, the “from the factory” forward lean is 13 degrees and then can go down to 11 or up to 15 degrees. The Hawx Ultra 130 is 15 degrees from the factory and can go down to 13 or up to 17 degrees. (Plus the slight increase if the rear cuff spoiler if in place).

So your “happy place” as far as boot forward lean must be closer to the 13 range rather than 15 I guess.
Thanks for the info. I did try the Hawx Ultra at 13 degrees, and I confirmed the forward lean on the Krypton is set at 13. So either it's the ramp angle, or there's something else about the boot that wasn't working for me.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Did more searching and I guess the Hawx Ultra ramp is 4 degrees and I don’t know the number but the latest Krypton 2 has a lower ramp from the factory than the original version. Apparently there are two available inserts for that boot and the “park” one is thicker and has more ramp so I bet you are on the flatter one.

So 13 degrees and very little boot ramp must suit you better in your current bindings. For the future, remember the bindings may add/decrease ramp too so future boot specs might change slightly with different(more or less ramped) bindings.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Thanks for the info. I did try the Hawx Ultra at 13 degrees, and I confirmed the forward lean on the Krypton is set at 13. So either it's the ramp angle, or there's something else about the boot that wasn't working for me.
I'm in the 19/20 version - factory 15 lean setting - tweaking with duct tape "shims" top of the cuff behind the calf (under direction of my fitter). I put in 2 - too much, one duct tape 'shim' is ideal for me. 3 layers of gorilla tape. The other thing fitter did for me is a bit of heel lift in the boards due to lack of flexibility in the ankles a.k.a. dorsiflexion - I ain't got enough. Too much running or something, dunno.

Another factor: large calves, he had to open up the top of the boot a LOT to accommodate. In my previous boots this wasn't done contributing to waaaaaaaay too much fwd lean. Close to 30+ mm too much! Make sure you've accounted for your calf size in the fwd lean.

I had hottronics in these and finally yanked them out this past weekend at Alta in frustration with the wires - too much interference with the fit. I like them super-duper tight at the money buckle and the wires just kept getting crimped. I didn't suffer too much from cold toes either, so I think the fit is right on now and starting to settle in nicely.

I do get the shin rub/bite others describe in these boots, will be trying some bike short chamois butter as has been suggested elsewhere. Removing the hottronics wires helped with this but didn't completely solve it.

And finally I've been using the factory straps inside the shell and going to switch back to expert booster straps - inside the shell is definitely superior for me but those wide straps don't fit all that great inside and it's hard to get them tight enough. Swapping to boosters requires drilling out factory rivets so haven't done it just yet.

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Decreed_it, are you talking about the Hawx Ultra or the Krypton?

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
GregK, thanks for the additional info. The ramp angle of the bindings was mentioned when I was trying to get the Hawx to work, so I'll definitely keep that in mind when I get another pair of skis (my narrower skis are from 2007, so I may upgrade at some year end sales this year). I'll have to check my dorsiflexion to see how this may all correlate.

TS
johnnyvw

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
And since there's been a good amount of mention of the booster straps, I've had them on my old boots for about 13 years now. Replaced the original straps because the velcro wore out, and used them the same as the originals, outside the shell. I liked them because I could tighten them up good and snug but the gave a bit when skiing moguls, I felt it was smoother and gave less shin bang

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Friendly reminder to check the ankle cant screws if adjustable(130 versions) along with the adjustable flex screws on the back of the boot as they loosen with use.
Just re-tightened all my bolts on my new Ultra 130s using loctite blue on the bolt threads. They did have some loctite on the latest boots screws as this is a known issue but they weren’t very tight from the factory and with heat molding they might have decreased the seal/effect of the factory loctite.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Friendly reminder to check the ankle cant screws if adjustable(130 versions) along with the adjustable flex screws on the back of the boot as they loosen with use.
Just re-tightened all my bolts on my new Ultra 130s using loctite blue on the bolt threads. They did have some loctite on the latest boots screws as this is a known issue but they weren’t very tight from the factory and with heat molding they might have decreased the seal/effect of the factory loctite.
Yep all mine loose - thanks for the head's up. Time to put in the extra screws to get to 130 anyway, will loctite as well. FYI ankle cant also adjustable on the 120s (2019-20 model).

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yep all mine loose - thanks for the head's up. Time to put in the extra screws to get to 130 anyway, will loctite as well. FYI ankle cant also adjustable on the 120s (2019-20 model).

Glad you checked! Yes, the Ultra 130/130s (and the 2020 120s) have a torx screw in the center that seems to loosen weren’t in the Ultra 120s till this year. If it’s the torx version, it loosens.

Old 120S (and current lower flex) versions

94020FED-25C4-4BD1-9425-131B6D1915A6.png O

New 2020 120s/all 130 versions with torx screw
C8FD1A82-53AF-4B62-8715-31F6BC532C0F.png

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Oh yeah, my pivot/cuff alignment bolts LOVED to back themselves out. So much so that one day at Alta last year one just disappeared and I had to Jerry rig it with parts from their boot shop.

Sponsor

Staff online