• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any issues with Atomic Hawx Ultra?

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Glad you checked! Yes, the Ultra 130/130s (and the 2020 120s) have a torx screw in the center that seems to loosen weren’t in the Ultra 120s till this year. If it’s the torx version, it loosens.

Old 120S (and current lower flex) versions

View attachment 92596 O

New 2020 120s/all 130 versions with torx screw
View attachment 92597
After review, there's no torx on mine. Adjustable, yes, but no torx screw, must be early 2019 or 2018 stock.

And then this happened on Saturday:
20200209_082028.jpg
20200209_082032.jpg

I pull them hard and secure under the shell, but, really? Broke right on the velcro transition seam. They are quite thin compared to my old Lange straps that appear to be ballistic nylon.

I was planning to put my booster straps on here anyway, but these have two rivets to drill out per boot. Doing that this week now. Still though, that's sad. I'm a regular guy, not Capt America or Superman strong. These should NEVER break like that IMO. Tsk tsk Atomic.

Edit to add, new for this season, from dealer stock, not even 20 days on them. FYI @MRT no action for you just thought you should know; boots still fantastic :)

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After review, there's no torx on mine. Adjustable, yes, but no torx screw, must be early 2019 or 2018 stock.

And then this happened on Saturday: View attachment 93260 View attachment 93261

I pull them hard and secure under the shell, but, really? Broke right on the velcro transition seam. They are quite thin compared to my old Lange straps that appear to be ballistic nylon.

I was planning to put my booster straps on here anyway, but these have two rivets to drill out per boot. Doing that this week now. Still though, that's sad. I'm a regular guy, not Capt America or Superman strong. These should NEVER break like that IMO. Tsk tsk Atomic.

Edit to add, new for this season, from dealer stock, not even 20 days on them. FYI @MRT no action for you just thought you should know; boots still fantastic :)

Booster will make it ski better anyways, I agree they should not break but I have had some separate in the oven as well.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Booster will make it ski better anyways, I agree they should not break but I have had some separate in the oven as well.
That was my first thought after the 'WTH?!?' moment - probably weakened from the oven. I still skied that way, just took it easy - had to gatekeep for our JRs GS race so mostly standing for 2 hrs. No biggie. But - there's no choice really as they're riveted on - previous boots - captured nut and allen screw so strap could easily be removed or replaced.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That was my first thought after the 'WTH?!?' moment - probably weakened from the oven. I still skied that way, just took it easy - had to gatekeep for our JRs GS race so mostly standing for 2 hrs. No biggie. But - there's no choice really as they're riveted on - previous boots - captured nut and allen screw so strap could easily be removed or replaced.

Could have been weak, I try to not let my customers touch them or tighten them too much during molding but when I am not looking they crank it and stretch it.
As nice as rivets are for securing things I do wish all boot companies would supply the removable hardware and make life easier for the fitters as well as customers.

Last edited:

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Ok boosters installed now, took a bit of trial and error at the hardware store to dial in the right stuff, but landed on 10-32 3/8 taper head screws, fender washers and nylon lock nuts, all stainless, and reused the washers from the existing rivets. Drilling them out wasn't too bad once I figured out to angle the drill, straight on it just spun the whole assembly.

Pics
20200214_152116.jpg 20200214_154351.jpg 20200214_153617.jpg 20200214_154434.jpg 20200214_153533.jpg 20200214_152454.jpg 20200214_153549.jpg 20200214_153538.jpg 20200214_152137.jpg 20200214_152128.jpg 20200214_152142.jpg

brian avery

Skiing - Let's Do This!
Skier
I have a pair of 2019/2020 Hawx Ultra 110's that I was fitted for last March 2019. The heel hold is great and no issues in the forefoot, but the fit at the instep is uncomfortable for sure as is getting them on and off! Anyone else have issues similar? I have been looking at Lange RX 120 LV's and Nordica Pro Machine as alternatives for possibly better fit at instep and ease of use getting on and off. Don't want sacrifice the heel hold though. does anyone have any experience with either of the Lange or Nordica models?

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@Decreed_It - In the future, using a round T-nut inside the shell makes the booster strap install much easier & no big nuts hanging off the back of your shell.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Like the kind with teeth? I had set of 2 off my old Lange boots but hardware store couldn't produce a short enough bolt or screw to get to 4. Didn't want the nuts off the back but didn't have much choice on short notice. I'll keep looking for better hardware. Our ski shop had nothing as well, go figure.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Like the kind with teeth? I had set of 2 off my old Lange boots but hardware store couldn't produce a short enough bolt or screw to get to 4. Didn't want the nuts off the back but didn't have much choice on short notice. I'll keep looking for better hardware. Our ski shop had nothing as well, go figure.

NO teeth. Just the flat round ones, the teeth ones are a PITA with plastic. I keep a few in the tool box for boots & use a soldering iron to burn a hole thru the strap so it doesn't get nappy. I ended up using little bolts with Allen heads as they had a better length selection.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
NO teeth. Just the flat round ones, the teeth ones are a PITA with plastic. I keep a few in the tool box for boots & use a soldering iron to burn a hole thru the strap so it doesn't get nappy. I ended up using little bolts with Allen heads as they had a better length selection.
Check. Yeah that's what I was hoping to find, will just deal with it after the season. Kind of disappointed in the hardware in these boots, rivets are cheap. Boots were not.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
These are the T-nuts that came on my 130s boots. They have the teeth on them but they are very small teeth. My old 130 were a rectangular t-nut that fit into the indentation inside of the boot in order for it not to spin. Round t-nuts work better it seems. Both bolts have been metric Allen screws which as @EricG mentioned, you'll be able to find in shorter sizes.

Mine using factory screws.
084FEF95-A47B-477B-910B-DA6630FAA470.jpeg
33D99BA2-B3F8-4641-BEF7-6FB37F066BD3.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online