• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomic Introduces New All-Mountain Maverick and Maven

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
41A46D2D-C388-4542-A562-60EA99E72C47.jpeg

699E9212-6E72-42DA-A1F5-992ABC06DCC4_1_201_a.jpeg

EC20EBEB-3DC9-4520-B7D9-F3C17E9B56BA_1_201_a.jpeg

E5B61357-A0FE-4E7C-BD83-4BB09A113498_1_201_a.jpeg

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Be interested to hear comparisons/see cagematch between the Enforcer 94 and Maverick 95.

EDIT in a previous life I ran a orthopedic line that had a large number of titanium implants. I highly doubt the ski has pure Ti in it unless the price was astronomical.

What would be interesting is if a manufacturer looked into using nitinol. Started out as a material used in military, has some very unique properties that could be used to tune the feel and performance of skis. Though I’m not sure what the durability would be in this application. In vascular applications they can withstand vascular contraction for decades (though some can fail).

It's probably Half 6-4, commonly used in recreational products like bikes, golf clubs and tennis racquets. As a material it's not exactly cheap, but they aren't using that much per ski. As for their design thinking, I wouldn't even begin to hazard a guess (I haven't enough snow under my knees lol).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is the Maven a 93C? And the Maverick a 95Ti?
Yes.
I skied it for a bit today and will be writing my review soon.
Mmmmmmmmaven!

northwskier

Falling off the lift
Skier
So this is actually titanium layers, not titanal? Any details on what this brings to the ski, since this is a relatively unusual material?
I had the same question. It specifically says titanium in the diagram, but that would be a rare choice?

Looking forward to feedback soon! Thanks for posting your photos Phil.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
It's probably Half 6-4, commonly used in recreational products like bikes, golf clubs and tennis racquets. As a material it's not exactly cheap, but they aren't using that much per ski. As for their design thinking, I wouldn't even begin to hazard a guess (I haven't enough snow under my knees lol).

Yeah. I was thinking that after I posted. Had a Serotta, Titus and Moots previously.

Unless I misinterpreted, I think they’re full sheets of ti-whatever. Even at 1-2mm thick, that’s a decent amount of material in 2 sheets, esp with longer lengths.

So @Philpug, how about a 3 point scale, smiley or neutral or sad emoji?
:popcorn:

Looking at the skis again, it seems like the shovels are a bit on the small side no?

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I am glad to see Atomic put out this new ski. I have no idea how they ski, but their all mtn product lines did nothing for me. I do see a fair number of them on the hill, but I think its the lower priced models that sell on price, not performance. Hopefully this new ski takes off for them and skis really well. I am looking forward to demo'ing it in the future. It sounds like they put a lot of effort into developing it.

I have one comment to add, I am 99% sure that NO ski company uses pure titanium sheets in their skis. I did check, and it is made in sheets thin enough for skis, but most references to titanium are really mis-quotes of titanal, which is 85% aluminum, with some magnesium, copper, and zinc, and no titanium. There are metal sheets produced with a small percentage of titanium, so a ski manufacturer maybe using one of those. Here is something I found on the web that I believe is accurate info:

Though it sounds like “Titanium,” Titanal is actually an aluminum alloy that includes no Titanium. However, there are other metal laminates that do contain trace amounts of Titanium. When you read a product description that says a ski has a Titanium laminate, that actually means it has an aluminum alloy laminate with only a very small amount of Titanium in it.

Not sure what is in Atomic's new ski, but its a metal sheet and should behave like titanal which is the common metal sheet used in skis.
@swiss tony posted the patent for it, and it actually does contain a tiny amount of titanium. So small that AMAG, the manufacturer, doesn’t even list it on the product sheet. But it’s aluminum alloy. I think what made it the industry standard was it’s bondability in laminate construction.

Part of the issue seems to be “titan” is the word for titanium in German. It’s the ski industry, so nobody really cares. I’s hard to know if it’s just normal - Titanal, or actually titanium.

Not for Atomic - remember Titanium Power Channels?
Do we know that was actually titanium?

This would be easy for Mike Hattrup to clear up.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Since the Mavs and Maves are here, We are going to get out on them again and post our reviews. These will be available for early release this season.

Betaracer

Atomic Race & Tech Rep, BC Region
Skier
Was out on the Maverick 95 today. I'd spent quite a bit of time on the 88 and 100 during the prototype testing until C-19 shut the world down last March. Since I had the test fleet at my house, most of my days this season have been on the 88 or 100. 95 suits my skiing well as a replacement for the Vantage 97ti which I used primarily for mixed-condition skiing.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Was out on the Maverick 95 today. I'd spent quite a bit of time on the 88 and 100 during the prototype testing until C-19 shut the world down last March. Since I had the test fleet at my house, most of my days this season have been on the 88 or 100. 95 suits my skiing well as a replacement for the Vantage 97ti which I used primarily for mixed-condition skiing.

That’s saying something. Whistler has a crazy base currently.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts @Philpug

Powder7 has a quick review on YT. Called them up. Sounds like they’re digging the 95. Early call is it lands somewhere between the rustler 9 and enforcer 94, both of which are pretty respectable bookends.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So far we have been out on the 88, 95 and 100Ti's and the consensus so far is that the 95Ti is the leader in the clubhouse. Fun, poppy and playful with a solid connection to the snow. All the skis are happy being worked yet just as content beong layed up on edge. I have noticed that the skis do ski on the short side so you might consider sizing up if you are beteeen sizes.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online