• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Audi Q5 real world review thread

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
It looks like I am ready for a new rig, and the two vehicles I am most note rested in are the Subie and a Q5.
But there is just too much negative advice out there about buying an Audi, particularly a used one.
It would help to hear some Audi owners experiences.
Thanks in advance.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Few quick questions.

Are you thinking of buying used, or new, or possibly leasing? If used, CPO?

Would the Subie be an Outback? Four or six cylinder?

Which engine in the Q5?

How long do you think you'd own it? Thinking more of mileage than age.

Have you thought about where you'd have either serviced, and/or any interest in doing any basic stuff yourself.

I have quite a bit of experience with both brands, both cars, through my family. Go back with Audi about 30 years. Subie about 15.

Maybe we can give you some thoughts. Two good options!

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Audi family here
Current lineup and not changing anytime soon
Q5, A6 avant and A4, all solid daily drivers.

Picked the Q5 over a subie, and it was a strong contender due to the seats, ride comfort, adjustments and just felt better for long rides.

Another factor was that with every car being the
same brand, same mechanic, not that we have ANY issues, oil changes etc. all the controls, knobs, buttons are in the same location as well.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What are you willing to pay for refinement? Are you willing to give up interior volume for it? Thats one of the costs. The drive difference between the Subie and VAG products is huge, two different worlds. Not that the Subie is bad, but the Audi is that much better. Reliability? The Audi is not as bad as some people say, the Subie isn't as good either. Spend some time in both, see what is better for you. Bring some skis along too, see how they fit on the back.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A few of my subie friends are experiencing big oil consumption issues early, one so bad that they offered engine replacement voucher or a 5k discount on a new ride.
We experience oil consumption issues with the '10 2.0 in the A4, a known issue . Audi rectified the ring / piston issue in the '12 motor ~ I think ? When dealing with several dealers on this car I especially enjoyed hearing

" Due to your brand loyalty we are picking up the tab on this one " - and it had 68k !
Hard to believe seeing how we have only purchased CPO or used, so that speaks volumes IMO.

edit :
1st @Philpug - makes a great point about the skis inside the car, thinking you'll need a roof box.
2nd - We ski trip in the avant with Hakka R2s :D

Last edited:

Lance

Booting up
Skier
I've been driving Audis since 2010 and I have not had any notable reliability issues. I'm currently driving the SQ5, and in two years I have not been to the shop once for anything other than routine maintenance. Same story on my previous S4, which I had for three years and never had a problem. Both cars have the same engine: a 3.0 supercharged V6. Before that I had an A6 with a 3.2 6 cylinder and again no notable issues.

I did own a late 1990s A4 that spent more time in the shop than in the driveway, but I thinks VW/Audi have improved reliability dramatically since then.

Interior storage in the Q5 is a bit limited unless you fold the back seats down. A roof box or ski racks are essential for me if I have the wife, kid, dog, etc.

Muleski

Inactive
So back to my questions for @Blue Streak.

If you buy new, and plan to perhaps even buy an extended warranty, to 100K miles,the only reliability concerns are nagging pain in the ass ones. On some cars. I fully agree with a lot of Japanese and German cars in our driveways, in general the German cars are much more reliable than they once were, the Japanese less so.

I'm thinking, again, reliability as being aggravating stuff, not left by the side of the road. I don't think you'll have the later with either car. Hopefully.

Of you are looking at buying a three year old car, maybe coming off lease, or one bought by a dealer at auction, then it's a different thing. If it's a off a lease, CPO, with a 100K warranty built in, that might work very well.

I have had great and not great experiences with both brands, but it varies by model. One of the best cars that we ever owned, and the most boring was a 2002 H6 Outback. Thing ran like a sewing machine. One of the most fire breathing cars I have owned was actaully incredibly reliable, perhaps because I know how to do some "wrenching". C4S6 Avant. Should have kept it to 300K miles. We had a S4 Avant that was fine, and fun, but at about 120K miles, it seemed to need everything all at once. Would have been a smart car to sell at about 90K with some warranty left.

I can go on through more current models. I'd like to hear the general plan. Would I buy a CPO Q5, or better {for me} a SQ5? In a heartbeat, and I would probably flip it and do it again when that one inched toward the heavy service issues around 100K.

I agree with @Philpug, the Outback and Q5 are very different vehicles. Both have their pluses and their followings, for sure. Depends on what you are looking to do, IMO.

We tend to buy our cars lightly used {or with some real miles on them} and then drive them for a LONG time. So I want to know the exact details of the maintenance, I will do a thorough pre purchase inspection, and on some, purchase a warranty. I want the service records. I want to know the car. That sort of stuff.

But we all treat them differently. We have two 2008 Outbacks in the family. One is treated lovingly as a real performance sports wagon, and gets great care, the best fluids, and pretty much drives better than new. It has been pretty darn reasonable to run, despsite being an XT {turbo}. The other....serious appliance that is near the end of it's life with us. A 3.0R. The paint is terrible, it is covered in dings because of the paper mache body panels, and it has had regular maintenance but has been very expensive to run, compared to expectations. Lots of rotors and pads. Calipers, a steering rack, radiator, PS pump, fuel pumps. Plus timing belt, water pump, etc. Batteries every three years. An alternator. Shocks, trailing arms, bushings. A lot over 150K. It's the classic "one more bill" car. It's being replaced very soon. New car has been bought.

So when I hear people talk about how inexpensive it is to own a Subie, or expensive for an Audi, I think "not always" in either case.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^^ well said and thanks for reminding me about the S6. Any chance you have / had the V10 lambo motor ?

I just passed on one......The car was sick!
The wife even approved, it was a painful decision !

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yet another "Audi's are always expensive" response. Our A6 wagon lasted 9 years and 120K miles with little beyond standard maintenance. That said, even our local mechanic had to charge more for the parts, etc.

Biggest question is how important ride/performance/feel is to you. Some just don't care; others care a bit; others care a LOT.
I just faced the question of VW 4motion wagon (brand-mate of Audi) or Subaru Impreza wagon. The Subaru seemed fine, was a bit less expensive, and had the driver's assistance package standard...but I went for the better performance, nicer ride, and more solid construction of the VW.

I have not regretted it one day, and, as a matter of fact, whenever I see an Impreza I thank my lucky stars I spontaneously opted for the VW.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
There is a huge refinement difference between Audi and Sub. I have owned multiple Audis and VWs and a ski partner has owned Subs. After taking turns switching between the 2 for a number of years of day trips, he eventually switched to Audi. We both were much happier. The Audis are quieter, the seats are better, and the ride is less jarring. I have run a number of Audis over 120K and the seats are still excellent after all the miles. Out of 7 Audis, I have only had 1 lemon and Audi took it back. All the other Audis have been maintenance only. I even owned a 2002 S6 Avant that only required standard maint (the maint was expensive). I only ran that one to 95k before selling it.

We looked at the Q5 and we did like it but we went with the slightly larger (and missing from the Audi lineup) VW Touareg for almost the same money. We have put 40K on the Touareg in about 2 years and it has been the best highway cruiser we have ever owned.

Muleski

Inactive
^^^^ well said and thanks for reminding me about the S6. Any chance you have / had the V10 lambo motor ?

I just passed on one......The car was sick!
The wife even approved, it was a painful decision !

My "good" S6's were both 1995.5 Avants. So the 5 cylinder AAN Turbo. That engine lasts, even with a lot of modification. I also has a C5, which was the 2002 with the 4.2 V8. That one made some great sounds, and drove really nicely {great highway car}, but it just had a different feel than the C4's, and that one had a few gremlins. So I sold it, and we bought another 1995.5. I seriously regret the day that I sold it. Dumb. It just seemed stupid to have "a wagon" as a fun, largely summer car. That car was maybe the best that I have ever driven in winter. Four studded snows. Six speed conversion. Big Porsche brakes, and about 375hp at the wheels. Tracking a grocery hauler was fun, as some of the younger guys had no clue what it was.

One of my neighbors has a newer V10. Quite a car. I would probably have no license with that.

I am thinking seriously about a 3.0T A6 avant. Have a friend who has led me to one, very nice. Great price, too. I'm just a wagon and avant guy. I've had two S4's. The B5 was a very good car, but I didn't want to own a twin turbo for too long. It's only problem was that it "ate" control arms. But really beautiful, great driver. I bit smaller than I need.

Like I said, miles do not scare me, as long as I know the entire service history, and what I am getting into. Baseline it, fix what needs attention and you are good. Our trip vehicle is {and has been for years} a Land Cruiser. We're on number three. Can't rave enough about them.

Now there are some high end German cars that I think are going to be ticking time bombs with some of the insanely sophisticated electronics. Like a newer 7 series BMW with who knows how many dozen computer modules. Some of these cars from a generation or two ago just keep on trucking. My brother has a D2S8, and it looks and drives as new with about 200K on the clock. I have a friend with a older 740 with the short wheel base that is similar.

I would consider a German car for longer term ownership more a Subie these days. We have some close friends with six Subies in the family. ALL leased. They just keep cycling through them. Any big issues are on warranty. They seem to be happy, and have had few problems. Live in the Rockies in a ski town, with a Subie dealer. That's a lot of money to be paying in lease payments. But when I look at the money that we have put into the 3.0R Outback, it might have been a smarter plan. At any rate, it there two everybody has one or more Subies. His two summer cars are not Subies. They love the cars in winter. They have has a few bad crashes, and been fine. A lot of Subie owners buy the safety record.

Outback delivers a lot of utility. As the needle moves toward comfort, fit, finish, build quality, and I think ride depending on the roads, I think it's easy to think about the Q5. My wife really liked the Q5 TDI, which appealed to me {and we had a nice CPO one in our sights} until she drove an X3 with a stick and a bit of suspension work. Glad we dodged the TDI in retropect.

A lot of ways to look at this stuff, all personal. All depends, IMO, on what I had discussed above. What is the buyer's plan? New, Lightly used, maybe more used? Where will he drive it and how much. Around the Vail Valley is different than frequent, longer highway trips.

Our son and his GF just made a raid trip, 1200 miles each way, all in one shot in a new to them car that replaced an Outback. Could not believe how much nicer and more comfortable the trip was. They also got much better mileage, with two bikes on the roof, driving 90-95mph most of the way.

BMW 328xi wagon. With a owner who can do "a lot" of his own work. Refreshing the entire suspension right now.

I think I'm recommending the best CPO Q5 that the buyer can find, pending where he will get out serviced, and what the plan is. Couple of very good mechanics in the Vail Valley if he car will live there, BTW.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a 4.5 year old Q5 with a 3.0T bought new that now has 55k on it. During my ownership I've had not one problem or even warranty item. I remember prior to warranty expiration trying to find something to repair and I couldn't. Here in PC it's become almost standard issue and I've yet to meet someone who's experience is much different than mine.

I ride around in other vehicles dry and through the snow and nothing has kindled my wanderlust. There's so much I like about the vehicle. The 3.0T motor is terrific. Be aware however some of the earlier years with the 2.0T have had issues with carbon buildup in fact I was told Audi will clean out the 2.0T-s one time for free.

The only downside is I would say at least half a dozen times I've pulled the handle on a Q5 in a parking lot only to find it wasn't mine.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, chicks dig Audis more ;) (This is an inside joke :D)

scott43

Skier
I have a 2013 Outback and I tell people who ask, I'm not sure I'd buy that car again. It's been great, don't get me wrong. Decent on the highway, apart from the poor on-centre tracking and heavy steering, quiet, the 3.6 and the 5 speed autobox work well together. It's not blinged out inside but that's ok with me. It IS a winter weapon, great to drive in snow and ice, no doubt, possibly the best. But..there are 3 other seasons..and day to day driving..and..well..not sure I'd buy it again. Having said that, the Q5 comes with a $15k premium around here..

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
You can almost get TWO Outbacks for the price of one Q5, so not sure how comparable are they.

But no Subarus come with either center pass through or 40/20/40 folding seats, so can't fit 4 people plus gear inside. Big plus for Q5 there.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You can almost get TWO Outbacks for the price of one Q5, so not sure how comparable are they

LOL. Right. The "real world" part of this thread was left behind pretty quickly, imho.

Muleski

Inactive
Keep in mind that @Blue Streak posted that he was considering both vehicles.
I asked if he was considering new, CPO, or "used." Different price deltas in all of those scenarios. Never ceases to amaze me how much Subies hold their value.
But, yeah, new the price difference is big. Depends on the engine, as well.

As odd as it sounds I have a number of mountain ski town friends who have narrowed it down to an Outback and cars that sure are much more expensive. Cayenne? Toureag? Q7?

They have a big following. Kinda undeniable.

Sponsor

Staff online