• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Audi Q5 real world review thread

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I have a 4.5 year old Q5 with a 3.0T bought new that now has 55k on it. During my ownership I've had not one problem or even warranty item. I remember prior to warranty expiration trying to find something to repair and I couldn't. Here in PC it's become almost standard issue and I've yet to meet someone who's experience is much different than mine.

I ride around in other vehicles dry and through the snow and nothing has kindled my wanderlust. There's so much I like about the vehicle. The 3.0T motor is terrific. Be aware however some of the earlier years with the 2.0T have had issues with carbon buildup in fact I was told Audi will clean out the 2.0T-s one time for free.

The only downside is I would say at least half a dozen times I've pulled the handle on a Q5 in a parking lot only to find it wasn't mine.
Yeah yeah, you should try that in Vail.
There are so many Audis here (and in Denver) it ridiculous.
But then again, what about Subies?
Look up ubiquitous in the Colorado dictionary, and you will see a picture of a Subaru.

Last edited:

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
Gang...I too want to chime in on the Audi too expensive line of thinking. If you buy new and hand it over to the dealer every time it "hiccups" yup your in for an expensive time. I have had a lot of VAG product in my garage and life. Now I have to tell you none of them have been new, and I not bad and turning wrenches myself, and lastly if I can't handle it I have a very good independent shop to get me out of hot water (Burg Performance North Denver). The current garaged cars are two TT's (225 highly modified, and a 180...stock but maintained) the 225 has just short of 130K miles, Betsy's 180 is at about 116K. Then the ski mobile when both of us go is a 2001 A4 Avant. All are paid for and just oil/gas/clean up are the real big deals. I put 440 cc injectors in Betsy's (with the appropriate gaskets, o-rings, new injector seats) for under 400 dollars. My 225's big moment was some how the power steering rack picked up contamination and started leaking from the seals like a suck pig...I led Burg do that one because my day job was over whelming me. I love my Audi's and because I shop/think/turn wrenches on most of my own work they are no more expensive than the Subaru your thinking about. My youngest kid just bought a 07 Outback and I could not believe that the head gaskets have a short life expectancy. It took us a while and some consorted effort to find a healthy one.

Attachments

• _DSC2448.JPG
    _DSC2448.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 10
  • _DSC2467.JPG
    _DSC2467.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Audi tt Stern Park #6.jpg
    Audi tt Stern Park #6.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 8
  • _DSC2871.JPG
    _DSC2871.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Day Skiing Winter Park 1-29-14.JPG
    Day Skiing Winter Park 1-29-14.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 8
TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Gang...I too want to chime in on the Audi too expensive line of thinking. If you buy new and hand it over to the dealer every time it "hiccups" yup your in for an expensive time. I have had a lot of VAG product in my garage and life. Now I have to tell you none of them have been new, and I not bad and turning wrenches myself, and lastly if I can't handle it I have a very good independent shop to get me out of hot water (Burg Performance North Denver). The current garaged cars are two TT's (225 highly modified, and a 180...stock but maintained) the 225 has just short of 130K miles, Betsy's 180 is at about 116K. Then the ski mobile when both of us go is a 2001 A4 Avant. All are paid for and just oil/gas/clean up are the real big deals. I put 440 cc injectors in Betsy's (with the appropriate gaskets, o-rings, new injector seats) for under 400 dollars. My 225's big moment was some how the power steering rack picked up contamination and started leaking from the seals like a suck pig...I led Burg do that one because my day job was over whelming me. I love my Audi's and because I shop/think/turn wrenches on most of my own work they are no more expensive than the Subaru your thinking about. My youngest kid just bought a 07 Outback and I could not believe that the head gaskets have a short life expectancy. It took us a while and some consorted effort to find a healthy one.
Great lookong cars! :thumb:

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Keep in mind that @Blue Streak posted that he was considering both vehicles.
I asked if he was considering new, CPO, or "used." Different price deltas in all of those scenarios. Never ceases to amaze me how much Subies hold their value.
But, yeah, new the price difference is big. Depends on the engine, as well.

As odd as it sounds I have a number of mountain ski town friends who have narrowed it down to an Outback and cars that sure are much more expensive. Cayenne? Toureag? Q7?

They have a big following. Kinda undeniable.
I had no intention of buying a new one. My take was that they depreciate so fast, I have seen 2012 Q5s for $16,000-18,000, which really piqued my interest.
It seems like you can buy a low mileage 3.0 for less than 30K.
I looked at a 2017 Outback which was "discounted" to $38,000!
Sorry, I am not spending $38K on a Subie.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I had no intention of buying a new one. My take was that they depreciate so fast, I have seen 2012 Q5s for $16,000-18,000, which really piqued my interest.

Got it, Good info. I would never buy a new 3.6R Outback, ever. As where you are is like ground zero for Subie pricing.

Our daughter has gotten some advice on just how much she can sell a mint 100K 2008 Outback XT for in CO, and looked at what she can then buy elsewhere by adding in another $5K or so, and the Subie will be history.

I would not be scared of a good used Q5, if it had been well maintained, had all of the service records, etc. I'd have it inspected, plan on the maintenance on the horizon and be good.

I'm looking at two used cars now. One about the vintage of those Q5's, one a couple of years older. No concerns.

As mentioned, our 2005-2009 Outbacks have been quite a bit more "needy" with unexpected repairs that I think most people would expect. My sister in law just traded in a 2013. Pretty similar trend. Bought a CPO X3.

Good luck.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember when the SVX came out....$25,000 (base) for a Subaru??? No one would ever pay that.

@Peter just bought a "used" A6 Allroads, 2.7T Twin Turbo...air suspension, 140K miles, rebuilt title. The poster car of "The most expensive inexpensive Audi"..what could go wrong. Well...everything.

First thing I would look at with a "mid teens" priced Audi is the service history, is the car all booked up, all the services done? A PPI will be money well spent.

Sponsor

Staff online